What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[b]Should Teams Relocate To Expand NRL?[/b]

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Currently there are 15 teams in the competition. Personally I would love to see a stand alone club at the central coast. Everything is organised the only thing missing is a team. But for this to happen I think one or even two teams need to relocate to other ares of Australia.

IMO Cronulla should relocate to south queensland either as another brisbane team or Gold Coast. This way aother NSW club can be addedd without flooding the competition with teams from NSW.

I think in the long term two other teams should relocate to Adelaide and Perth. I'm undecided about who should relocate though if the NRL is serious about creating a national competition this definately should be looked at. Thoughts.....

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't understand why everyone seems so hellbent on relocating Cronulla. Unlike most clubs, we maintain a pretty respectable crowd average even when our team just plain sucks and is getting beat every week.

Phillips

Referee
i think we should bring back north sydney, have a team based in welligton NZ and have another team at the gold coast

I am against relocation for the sole reason that the club won't have any local identity early on. 10 years dwon the track, if they last that long, they should have some local flavour, but in the crucial early times, they would be like imposters.

Just my opinion

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Relocation is not the go.

Less NSW teams.

Clubs to merge or die. Relocation does no one any favours.

Central Coastie

Juniors
Central Coast Bears is ready to go.

Manly are the prime target for relocation. They have serious money problems. Rumours about big tax debts and players owed money. Management instability, coach sacked, heaps of players leaving.

Manly should relocate and the Central Coast Bears would still be available for local Manly people.

In any case, Manly have already showed that they'll leave the area if the money's right.

Phillips

Referee
merging is the worst thing that could happen
i would'nt mind seeing the western reds back but i would hate to see the likes of adeliade and another brisbane team
there should be an amount of teams so we dont have to use the bye

Bengal

Juniors
El Garbo said:
I don't understand why everyone seems so hellbent on relocating Cronulla. Unlike most clubs, we maintain a pretty respectable crowd average even when our team just plain sucks and is getting beat every week.

That's the first thing that crossed my mind.

I'm with you I don't understand it either?

I'm tipping if we don't sort something out with the Cental Coast soon then Rugby Union might take over or the AFL will send another club up to NSW to play out of CC.

wittyfan

Referee
Some moronic Dragons supporters floated the idea a while ago that Cronulla should relocate to the Gold Coast. In any case, it's a crap idea.

Central Coastie

Juniors
Ken Arthurson lives in the Gold Coast. On the Footy show, Max Krilich was talking up the new development he has going in the Gold Coast.

Manly don't have much cash and are keen to relocate.

i reckon their an obvious choice to move to the Gold Coast. they've got no choice.

9_degrees

Juniors
a team will be started on the gold coast no matter what in my opinion and will turn the nrl into a 16 team comp. the next problem is central coast and wellington, if there are gonna be teams there then its time to start talking about mergers and so on.....
personally i think if a team relocates it should have a fresh start ie. New name, colours, everything. So that the local community has a team to call their own not some team that is still attached to somewhere else.

Special K

Coach
The sharks are not going anywhere. They have good crowd averages even when the team sucks! They have good jnrs and they own their ground.

Manly with their crowds of 7 thousand should go. I can not understand how they got in and the Bears on the coast didn't. What a joke. Stupid move by the NRL. Look at the crowds Union has got on the Coast and look at how the NE was going at the start before Norths and the Central Coast got raped. Hmmm take a team in a new area with great jnr base and crowd support or put another sydney team with crap support and no money in. :?

The Tigers are another team who had some bad crowds this year. They might go good next year and bring people back but if they don't I don't see they staying around.

Bring back the Bears, move Manly to the GC and then bring in an another NZ team and pow! we have a good comp. Then look into ways to get into SA and WA in a few years time.

DJ1

Juniors
There will be teams from the Gold Coast and Central Coast in the NRL competition for 2006. These will be relocated teams not new teams (Relocation includes the Bears). St George will be permanently based in Wollongong despite the clubs attempts to abandon it under the guise of the pokie tax.

Relocations in 2008 will also occur with,

Adelaide
Perth

A final relocation in 2010 to Wellington.

All relocations will involve Sydney based teams not Melbourne.

DJ1

Juniors
My own personal business plan for the growth of rugby league's premier competition in Australia and New Zealand.

t-ba

Post Whore
Pokie Tax will sort this all out. It's going to be Sink or Swim time, and then we'll see what clubs prove their Meddle.

dimitri

First Grade
it will be sink or swim time

and those clubs that might sink

should look to swim to perth, adelaide, gold coast or wellington (if the orcas arent their first)

Latest posts