What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[B]Tupou ready to fire for Sharks[/B]

troy

Juniors
Tupou ready to fire for Sharks
Print
- Font
+ Font
RSS
By Ben Horne AAP Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:57:44
Cronulla second rower Anthony Tupou admits he has a lot more to offer his NRL team than what he's been showing this season and declared he's ready to return to his dynamic best.

Tupou said the Sharks' grinding style of play had limited his opportunities of late but he predicted halfback Tim Smith's injection into the side would open things up for him.

His damaging running and excellent ball skills regularly propelled him into Australian and NSW jumpers in past seasons, and the 27-year-old has received fresh inspiration to return to those heights.

Tupou said playing in the pre-season All-Stars fixture was one of the highlights of his career and made him miss playing on the game's elite stage.

Cronulla need Tupou to fire if they're to add to last week's drought-breaking win over Parramatta with victory over Manly at Brookvale oval on Sunday.

Tupou knows the time has come for him to re-emerge as a weapon.

"That's definitely what I'm going to try to do," he said.

"I know at the moment it's more of a grind for us with the way we're going to play teams which is good, but I'm also going to bring what I can to the table and work on that.

"I have a lot more to offer the team and I think that's going to come if we give ourselves opportunity with the football."

Poor ball-handling quashed Cronulla's chances of being better than 1-3 to start 2010, but Tupou believes that minimising their mistake rate along with Smith's inclusion will boost his own individual impact.

"I think so (Smith's arrival), that's what I was thinking. Just how sharp he is around No.7, he can hold up a lot of defenders for me and I think it will be pretty good for me too. I'm happy," he said.

"I don't think (previous inconsistency at half) was the reason (for his lack of opportunity). It was the drop balls that were killing us and that's why I wasn't really getting the ball, because our team didn't have the ball.

"I think (Smith) is just going to help. I can't put any blame on anyone else that was there doing the job, because no-one had the opportunity because we didn't have the ball.

"I have learnt a lot off the coaching staff ... just under pressure, how to manage it.

"Us as players look to them and we see them being so strong. We see that and gain strength from it.

"I learnt not to do anything drastic and keep working hard and it'll work out."

Tupou said the Sharks weren't getting ahead of themselves after last week's relieving win, and know they face a huge task to beat the Sea Eagles at Brookvale, where they have won just five times from 34 starts.

"Everyone's still focused and we know we've got to work hard," he said.

"Last week was good for our confidence and reminded us that hard work can pay off.

"We didn't really write ourselves off. Probably a lot of people outside the club did but we tried not to look at that or let it affect us.

"That's why we've come out of it pretty good and we're pretty strong I think."

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yes azzah.

All that is as it stands is a collection of meaningless words. The page it is printed on will be toilet paper by 4.00pm tomorrow if he doesn't back it up.

DJDL

Bench
I noticed a couple of times last week that things opened up a little more for him, unfortunately his hands let him down - which I put down to a timing issue due to not having had those opportunities for ages.

Once the Smith/Barrett combination settles down I'd expect to see it happen a lot more often and Toups to start showing some better form

chewsta

First Grade
Here's hoping DJ, the torrential rain didnt help much either..

Funnily enough though, in such horrible conditions, Pomm looked to have the safest hands on the paddock. whatever his motivation was I hope they serve it too him again this week.

shadowboxer

First Grade
he was ordinary last week and that dribble sounds of a man under pressure - cmon toops my kids think your the go, back yourself.

coolumsharkie

Referee
It's weird, Toups was a killer last year, our best player on the park consistantly
He's been lacking for sure .
Couple of strong games with confidence and he will be back to his best I reckon.

DJDL

Bench
He's not the only one who can be accused of that though Cools. I'd put Gal in the same boat - until last week that is - and probably Dougie as well.

I've been thinking about it and it wouldn't surprise me if the injection of Tim Smith had a very big impact on the attitude and performance of these guys.

With all due respect to SFP, prior to Smith's arrival the forwards, IMHO, would have been sick to death of busting their a*** each week knowing that we didn't have anyone who could lay points on. Once we had 12 scored against us we were gone. 13 games in a row of slugging away like that has got to take it's toll on you mentally.

Now they know there is a genuine playmaker there, someone who can put points on and get things moving. I expect to see a big turnaround in attitude in the next few weeks.

It will be very interesting to see how they go this afternoon. I'm quietly confident they can get the money

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Yeah, I'd like to see the Sharks win. Stoopid Eagles.

Please excuse me while I give myself a few uppercuts for typing that *wack, wack, wack*

Big Norm