Baby formula shortage

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Smack, May 17, 2018.

1. gUt

gUt Coach

If it possibly helps at all, tell her about my missus, who kind of had the opposite experience. She didn't feel guilt at all about getting him off the tit but she did feel guilt at not being able to keep up with his appetite. Stopping and switching to formula brought pure relief that he was now feeding greedily and happily.

Breast is generally best but not always.

Smack, The Charlatan and Pantherjim. like this.
  2. Smack

Smack First Grade

I'm not sure on exact numbers, but it looks like it's an issue around the country. It has been going on for years.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the...hits-prescription-market-20180426-p4zbvp.html

3. Smack

Smack First Grade

Also, how would you like the Government to step in, PJ?

4. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

5. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

I didn’t say “I wanted the Government to step in” as as far as I can see, there is no shortage of baby formula in our local Coles/Woolies/Pharmacies.

The problem is no where near as bad as to warrant Govt intervention.

6. Smack

Smack First Grade

It seems to be a big enough problem that retailers are trying to limit stock being sold, so should we wait for a national shortage crisis before we take action and if so, how would the Govt, as you said, step in?

7. Smack

Smack First Grade

Why would you need a prescription for something you can buy over the counter? Can you elaborate on this further?

8. mave

mave Bench

Surely is reeling them in hand over fist today.

9. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Bench

Its a funny thing.

50 years ago the norm was to bottle feed and mothers were labelled selfish of they tried to breastfeed.

Now its the other way round.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  10. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

If Babies are allergic to milk and there is only one type of formula they can safely drink then it should only be available on script from a GP/Paediatrician to prevent it from being bought up by people who just want the product for profit.

Therefore infants that genuinely need the product will have an adequate supply of it. Otherwise it could be a life or death situation.

11. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

I actually think he’s drunk too much of his own product today. Bit early for that isn’t it?

12. gUt

gUt Coach

[​IMG]

13. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

I don’t think there ever will be a “National Shortage Crisis”

This practice has been going on for years, and we haven’t reached a National shortage yet. As You’ve seen, three posters in different locations in Oz have already advised baby formula is in plentiful supplies in stores in their neck of the woods.

14. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

I don't see your problem here TBH, there is more than one brand, there is competition in the marketplace. If aptimil were to raise their price to an extent that it deters these behaviours, then their product becomes non-competitive.

Then again, you could look at what is driving the problem,

We have a well regulated market in food products, that ensures quality, and China quite obviously by this example does not. So, there is trust implicit in these products, that allows them to be sold at a premium in a foreign market, where regulation has proven ineffective enough so as to reduce consumer trust in the locally produced product.

So, effective regulation in this case clearly adds value.

Who'd a thunk it?

15. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

I don't drink Jim, I'm just the dealer.

16. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Sure you don’t...

17. Smack

Smack First Grade

I don't advocate for 0 regulation, chief. I agree that it's good in some instances and bad in others.

18. Smack

Smack First Grade

@Charlatan

How much control do woolies/coles have over prices for formula?

19. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

The point though is that regulation ensures a certain quality, so, if you agree that it is good in some instances, then you also must agree that in those instances a free market ( one that regulates it's self through supply and demand only ) is not as good.

So if that is then then the case, which in order to be logically consistent it must, you are acknowledging that it can be beneficial for markets to be regulated, and it is only the degree of regulation that is in question.

20. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Bench

I dont understand your point about price controls. No one but the manufacturers are controlling the price.

They sell their products in pharmacies as well. Thdre are well known quantity limits for customers

Theyve kept their price low so as to not piss off local families who by far would be the biggest customers. Increase the prices and they will sell out to the insatiable chinese market. Still wont help with shortages to the local market.

Its not all about short term profit.