What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Tampering

some11

Referee
So, do you Aussies believe this is the first time your boys have ball tampered? This current team I mean, with Smith saying this is the first and only.. And who believes Lehman and co had no idea? Bull sh*t written all over it.

And getting the newest bloke to do it.. Shows how low the so called leaders of the side are.

No, and it was Handscomb getting thrown under the bus when Smith had his "brainfade" when he looked up to the coaches box for a DRS decision. Now Petey has been promoted to warning the bloke doing the cheating.

They deserve everything coming to them.

Timbo

Staff member
Jeez, as an asid - I wonder what this will do to the tv rights that are currently being negotiated.

You'd have to think the networks would be quietly happy.

age.s

First Grade
Absolutely dire stupidity from our team. No way Smith's future as a leader is in anyway tenable, though I think calls for a life ban are a bit much. They deserve all the crap they're getting and then some. This is a big big black mark against a guy who was making a strong case to be a top 5, even top 3 player of all time. No matter what he does on the pitch, he'll forever have an asterisk against his achievements.

That being said, the sanctimonious bullshit from pundits from other countries going on about how this is indicative of Australia's rotten sporting culture can kindly f**k off. The reason this is being treated as a big deal is because we as a nation are condemning it so vigorously. I don't recall the public of their respective nations coming out so strongly when ol Faf had his episode with the mints or Afridi mistook the ball for an apple.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I like many Australians am shocked, appalled and disappointed. Particularly the leadership of the Australian team. Why did they have to go that far in trying to cheat?. CA is in a real mess and something leads to be done from the top. Whilst Smith has already been suspended by the ICC for one test, I wonder what sort of actions will be made by CA, aside from losing the captaincy.

LOL @ getting caught. Australia will always have a win-at-all-costs attitude, especially in Cricket. But getting caught doing this is just embarrassingly hilarious.

Smith has always been an immature lil jerk. I've been saying it on here for years. This just reaffirms that.

Getting Bancroft to do the dirty work of the leadership group just shows what kind of "men" Smith & Warner are. If you're a leader and you want to cheat, do the job yaself like Faf, Afridi or Cronje lol.

Smith needs to grow up and be a man. He's never been captaincy material.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
The long form of the game has been in declining popularity for a couple of decades now.

Could this be the final nails in the coffin for Test cricket?

What would be the reaction of mums and dads with kids wanting to play cricket? What would be the kids' reaction?

Like Parra_Fan said, Cricket Australia has reached new depths which it might find hard to get out.

Pommy

Coach
The long form of the game has been in declining popularity for a couple of decades now.

What would be the reaction of mums and dads with kids wanting to play cricket? What would be the kids' reaction?

Like Parra_Fan said, Cricket Australia has reached new depths which it might find hard to get out.

I think people are thinking a bit deep test cricket is still popular enough for it to continue and in Australia the ashes is probably big enough to carry it.
As for parents what sport hasn’t got bad role models? NRL take your pick, AFL same again, Football has a massive drug addict as the main commentator in the country.
Sure it’s a bad look for cricket right now but it will recover.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Myth that test cricket is dying. The ashes are more popular than ever, India play more tests than they ever have. Afghanistan and Ireland have just been added and will interest to the format.

Since the days of Bradman test cricket has at one time or another been told that it's been at death's door. It's still here and no tin pot 20/20 league will change that.

Yes it needs to adapt but it's still the pinnacle for players.

axl rose

Bench

They don't care and by the time our Summer rolls around everyone will have forgotten it even happened. There's another 6 months of VFL/ NRL 'scandals' between now and then.

Talk about an overreaction. Man I’m seeing some crazy takes on this.

Cricket is in Australia’s DNA, particularly test cricket.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The ashes series needs an asterisk next to it like all Melbourne’s titles. ;)

He couldn’t really expect any less after what Pierce got for not f**king a dog and Chris gayle for being a dickhead.

Yep stick an asterisk next to every match suspected of ball tampering.

There wont be many matches without one eg 2005 ashes.