What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balmain lose in wet

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Balmain lost 30-14 to Canberra on Friday evening. Balmain got off to a great start, stunning the Raiders with a try by Heignington (aka rhino) in the first five minutes. The rest of the half was played in torrential rain. Only the most determined of fans stayed in their seats. Too many errors cost Balmain the lead. Dropped ball early in the tackle count and poor kicking cost the Tigers dearly. The Tigers rallied in the second half with tries from Luke Milton and Danial Harris and closed the gap. Balin Cupples was injured and replaced at full back by Simon Greally in the second half. Mark Luland was similarly replaced by Harris. Strong performances from Jamie Small, back from injury, and Bronson Harrison, including one great try-saving tackle. A season of what-might-have-been but the boys played with passion and can be proud of their efforts.

Tigerpete

Juniors
I think its probably best looked at as a learning curve this season. A lot of young guys, with next to no first grade experience, i would doubt 20 games through out the whole squad, 9 of those would be halatau too.

What they've achieved this season has been better than last year and im sure they all be better for it next year, not to mention that little bit more hunger they'll have!

B_Tiger

Juniors
there is certainly a lot of good talent in the side. I'd look for bronson and Small to play first grade next year. Jamie had another big match and was probably the only front rower for balmain to handle the wet conditions well. I don't think he made any errors and he continually put raiders defenders on their backs. he has really turned into a top front rower. Bronson has gotten really big (or at least I don't remember him being as big earlier this year). He seems to have a good step and has the muscle to beat men, I'd say he'd be another candidate for the second row for wests tigers next year.

Our forwards generally played well (except for too many errors), their go forward was good and the probably outplayed the canberra pack but canberra had an established, succesful halves combination the guided the raiders through the wet conditions. tippett and obst just weren't able to have the same impact and subsequently they really struggled in attack. outside defense was also a problem. Halatua certainly didn't have his best game (seems to saave his poor performances for canberra 1st division) and was outplayed by phil graham.

A lot of positive signs for the future though. A decent half and 5/8 would certainly curb our up and down form this season. Tippett, despite his early success, probably doesn't deserve to be re-signed and I'm praying obst's career at balmain is over.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
yes thats the end of the season for Balmain - we finished 8th and lost that game so its ... there is always next season.

brook

First Grade
good to hear the boys didn't disgrace themselves at any rate...

Its been a mixed year thats for sure but I honestly feel given a better run with injurys we could have had a great season - we fielded up to half our side jersey flegg players towards the end of the year (and we were always a young team to start with) and given we never did get a settled halves combo I'm happy with where we ended up.

the highlight of the year was the performace of the flegg boys - every single one that was given a run has shown themselves up to the task and some (thinking mick harper, bronson and thomo here) have been exceptional. Things look good for next year

I can see a few more getting the call-up to first grade next year, Jaime has been pushing for a spot for the last two seasons and I think its only badly timed injuuries thats kept him back so far....he certainly deserves a run because he gives his all, Bronson will make first grade without a doubt and (I think) show up pat richards for the pretender he is...

I also expect that Lima and Samia will both get at least a shot to show what they can do and their spots in the balmain team will be taken by some of the younger guns (most likely thomo and nowland)

I think next year will be a good one, hopefully we've seen the last of charlie farah and sam obst and i'd also be tempted to dump milton as well (todd barrow as a goal kicking winger will ensure we lose nothing there), tippet i would keep for depth but I would expect to see John Nash get a shot at halfback and I would like to see an attempt to turn either leigh bowman, franco kmet or luke waihape into a 5/8th - all three are highly creative but probably have very little future in their current positions