What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balmain Vs Wests

Vicious

Bench
Just been to Leichardt to see our lower grades clash.In the Flegg the Magpies upset Balmain 40-18.I only seen the second half,but the Magpie forward pack seemed to be on top of their more fancied rivals with big Aaron Sweeney leading the charge.Magpie half Ryan Borg made numerous clean breaks leading to tries for the Pies,whilst Balmain seemed to be a bit lost with their regular half Jamie Nowland being required in Premier League.The Premier League game was a very sloppy game particularly after the Tigers George Azzi and the Magpies Ray Cashmere were both sent off for fighting in the 31st minute.Chris Heighington was also sin binned for 10 minutes.The Magpies had better field position and plenty of scoring shances in the first 20 minutes,but it was the Tigers who done all the scoring leading 22-0 capitalising on each clean break they made with long range tries.The Magpies constantly tried to get away miracle balls and paid the price with Balmains Luke Branighan responsible for setting up a brace of tries.Gray Viane was dragged off midway through the first half being held responsible for taking the wrong man in defence repeatedly.He was put back on playing second row and was back to his barnstorming best for the last 50 minutes of the game.The Magpies are a side very low on confidence and this was evident with their runners constantly having to reach for the pass.Bronson Harrison played in the second row for Balmain and after picking up an injury in the 1st half he came back on and proved a handfull every time he run the ball in the 2nd half.Greally was very dangerous and was one of the best players on the field although for mine the best player was far and away Luke Branighan.He is brilliant at creating space for his outside men and I sincerely hope the Wests Tigers contract him for next year!Bryce Gibbs and Chris Patterson were solid for the Magpies as was Heighington for the Tigers,but overall Ithaught the two forward packs cancelled each other out,just the better quality ball that the Balmain backs recieved being the main difference.Liam Fulton tried hard and pulled off a couple of big hits,but wasn`t at his normal best in attack and is pbviously a little low in confidence at the moment.Kieran Kerr was very ordinary.His passing game has gone right off the boil and selfishly ran the ball far to much in good attacking position.As a result of all this Dean Collis recieved little ball and when he did it was generally under pressure.I feel for him because he`s a much better player than what he`s being allowed to show.

Davester

Juniors
Now to top off the rest off this week we need a confirmed jamie lyon signing, an upset by eels and souths and the other games to go our way ....

Vicious

Bench
Something very interesting is that Jeff Lima appears to be very popuar with both sides.He spent alot of time talking to the Wests boys,particularly the Flegg players.

HappyTiger

Juniors
Balmain's Flegg side were awful tonight.They really missed Nowland and struggled right across the park.Wests were by far the better side.PL were their usual selves with some good play followed by some rather pedestrian stuff.Greally,Heighnington and Branighan were the Standouts.

Vicious

Bench
Nothing to do with this thread,but i`m 75% sure that we have resigned Robert Miles for another year.Just a thaught on our hooking position as of next year.As everyone can see that Ben Galea is much more valuable in the back row leaving us with Robbie Farah,Daniel Fitzhenry and possibly Robbie Mears.These 3 are all very good attacking hookers,but defensively none of them have the physical presence to dish out punishment to the big,strong,rampaging forward packs like the Dragons and Roosters when they are at full strength.I can see this being a major problem and i`m sure Sheensy has something in mind,but I was thinking that the Dragons Ryan Powell would be a good low priced pick up for us to fill that Darren Senter type role that we are going to miss.Although he is predominately a back rower,he has played a lot of hooker and was captain of the Dragons Flegg side for a couple of years.From what i`ve seen of him he`s very much in the Darren Senter mould,but a little bit bigger than Hollywood.As for players in our own ranks I thaught Luke Branighan was a class above everyone last night and i`d really like to see him given a new contract as his ball skills are something we don`t have in abundance.Gray Viane also played with the strength and aggression that had all our fans raving about him 2 years back once he moved out of the centres into the second row.I think it will be a big mistake if we don`t persist with him as his raw aggression is another thing we don`t have in abundance.He is an ideal impact player and i`m sure if we don`t resign him,he`ll work his way in to the top 17 at another club!

yappy

Bench
Hello to Noah Ric et al. Nice to see the fear in your eyes as you rushed to get away from us at the end of Flegg. ;-) Thanks for the sangas Balmain!

In Flegg we whupped yo asses. Shannon McDonnell is going to be bigger that big. Sweens has gone mad. He's playing with controlled aggression. The rest of the pack followed close behind. Good all over.

In Premiers if we had scored the two tries where we knocked on over the line it would have been a different story. Unfortunately our defence in the centres stank again (and Gravy deserved the hook). Balmain are well drilled and know how to score when they get close, whereas we don't.

The boys do deserve massive credit to get back to 34-32 late in the game, but we din't know how to finish em off and Balmain deserved to win, but like westie said, there are a lot of boys in both teams that are unfamiliar with the word tackle, let alone the execution of one.

I din't think Gray's second half was that good Vicious. Parker was the guy who continues to impress me. He's a monster.

Really disappointed in Cashy. If you're gonna get sent off at least make sure you connect with one son. :p It felt like a hurricane up in the stands with all of the air-swings. Where is Bob Cooper when you need him.

HappyTiger

Juniors
Wests sure showed what they are capable of in coming back last night.They scored some great tries and after the past couple of weeks im sure it must have been a massive improvment.

Another who stood out to me in Flegg was Ryan Borg,He had a corker of a game carving up the Tigers defence at will.

tiger_nick

Bench
My favourite part was seeing Bronson abd Gibbs go at each all game, Bronson tried a bit of a hay maker after Gibbs worked him over big time in a tackle late in the second half.

I thought Heighington was by far the best player on the ground.

tiger_nick

Bench
Vicious said:
Something very interesting is that Jeff Lima appears to be very popuar with both sides.He spent alot of time talking to the Wests boys,particularly the Flegg players.

Yeah Jeff, Robbie Farah and Dene Halatau were talking to all the boys. It was funny to see Robbie Farah yelling at George Azzi and Heighington when they were sent off, he was giving them heaps!! Saying something like 'you didnt even land any George' or along those lines

innsaneink

Referee
yappy said:
Hello to Noah Ric et al. Nice to see the fear in your eyes as you rushed to get away from us at the end of Flegg. ;-) Thanks for the sangas Balmain!

In Flegg we whupped yo asses. Shannon McDonnell is going to be bigger that big. Sweens has gone mad. He's playing with controlled aggression. The rest of the pack followed close behind. Good all over.

In Premiers if we had scored the two tries where we knocked on over the line it would have been a different story. Unfortunately our defence in the centres stank again (and Gravy deserved the hook). Balmain are well drilled and know how to score when they get close, whereas we don't.

The boys do deserve massive credit to get back to 34-32 late in the game, but we din't know how to finish em off and Balmain deserved to win, but like westie said, there are a lot of boys in both teams that are unfamiliar with the word tackle, let alone the execution of one.

I din't think Gray's second half was that good Vicious. Parker was the guy who continues to impress me. He's a monster.

Really disappointed in Cashy. If you're gonna get sent off at least make sure you connect with one son. :p It felt like a hurricane up in the stands with all of the air-swings. Where is Bob Cooper when you need him.

I didnt see last nites game, but have seen several of both PL's throughout the year, and have seen the shirt grabbers and those that dunno what tackle means.....dunno how they get to PL in the first place.....I'm just trying to imagine what it'd be like if they cut all those shirtlifters from both squads, and put em into one team .....I reckon youd have a pretty tight solid outfit.....................................IMO> :roll:

Not that it'll get much support here. :lol:

IMO.

yappy

Bench
I'd say both clubs will get rid of the turnstyles and replace them with the cream of the Flegg crop. Remember that this year was unique because Flegg age went up a year meaning all the guys eligible last year were eligible again. Not so now. The Flegg guys have to cut it with the big boys or go and find a new calling in life. I'd expect both sides to be well placed next year just with the combined quality in both squads.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
We were just happy to see Balmain win in PL. It was a great night on the hill - so there were only 8 of us. Highlight was going to sing Hear come the Tigers in sheds after the game with the boys. The team song also made a re-appearance as Balmain came on. It good that there are some strong traditionalists making some decisions at the club.
The club put on a bbq after the game for the players and supporters. It is obvious there is a great spirit amongst the Balmain players. They are a top bunch, very approachable and always happy to chat. One of the best nights this season.
Next Friday night Balmain travel to Toyota Park to play Cronulla.

Tigerpete

Juniors
My thoughts on the games...............

Flegg: Wests were great and to me it really makes me wonder why they're struggling on the table. Roberts, Borg, and the speed demon McDonnel were awesome, so was Sweeney.

While not wanting to take anything away from Wests that was easily Balmain's worst effort this season, maybe even the worst over the past 2 seasons. They simply started off bad and got worse, (probably due to trying to hard in the end). Their defense just wasnt there and there was at least 3 tries given to wests on a silver platter. Still i thought Alberts when he got the ball still looked a cut above the rest(apart from the embaressing error to gift the maggies a 4 pointer.)

PL: I thought the game was going along nicely until the send offs and sin binning. The game failed to reach any great hieghts after other than a late Magpie fightback. Balmain could've and should've won by more though, after leading 24-0 at one stage. I was again impressed with Greally, his workrate and impact was dynamic. I thought Nowland was good when he was on too, he really made a difference out there. As for Wests, Fulton had a great second half, seemed to be involved in everything.

gemtiger

Juniors
You're absolutely right, Fulton was the difference in the second half.

He seemed to really spark up in attack & his defence was solid all game - looked like he had a few scores he wanted to settle.....

In short, it was probably an apt scoreline as these clashes are never blowouts, regardless of the recent form of either side.

Flegg just seemed to miss Nowland's organisational ability & direction around the park - & certainly his goalkicking!!!!!!

Hope they get it all together for the Steelers match - we gotta stay in the top 4 & grab that home semi spot.