What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bangladesh in NZ

Iafeta

Referee
They picked De Grandplod because he is physically more reliable to bowl stock overs. But the point is moot when you have a spinner going at 2.96 runs per over who the captain completely forgets to use. Or has an opinion on spinners not too dissimilar to how Mark Waugh used to rate them.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, Neesham's fitness has always been a worry - but sorry, regardless of RPO both Santner and de Grandhomme are poo with the ball, and of course they are poo with the bat... if they want an all-rounder then that has to be Neesham or Anderson - and Neesham has shown he's ok with the bat at test level... as for a spinner, well there are a few about, and to be honest although he struggled against Australia I'd have Craig back in a heartbeat (he is as good with the bat and ball as Santner, better at the latter despite the Aust experiences, and can catch). Williamson is more of a threat with the ball than Santner imo, Santner has some personalities to Vetorri, but he's not Vetorri, his bowling was an add on, and he can't learn how to bowl in tests. He's done absolutely nothing in first class cricket, and needs to imo to justifiy a place - I'd be looking hard at Mark Chapman if that's the sort of cricketer we want, again I think he's better at all three aspects, but not really worthy in any one

JJ

Immortal
I get he's had injury problems, but Neesham has been pretty impressive with the bat when given opportunities, especially in tests, but even in the ODI series in Australia - but in tests he's been a big part of some key partnerships, notably when NZ have been behind the 8 ball - not sure why he doesn't get the same love as Anderson and Santner

JJ

Immortal
Chapman's promising, already played for Hong Kong, but I think eligible for us - another dry left armer, actually I am not sure there's any other sort - just the most boring style of bowling ever

Typical breezy Southee innings and we have a lead with 2 wickets left - looking forward to watching Boult bat again, every the stylist

JJ

Immortal
Nicholls drags one on for 98... would have been nice to get a 100, but seriously he's a bit like Maddinson, most deliveries look like they might dismiss him

Iafeta

Referee
That's a stupid ruling on Wagners dismissal. He's grounded his bat over the line, not attempting a further run, the keeper flicks the ball onto the wickets and despite Wagner being nearly to the stumps he's out because his feet are in the air. He's in mid stride!!

JJ

Immortal
yeah, but I suppose he wasn't avoiding the ball, so needed something grounded?

Pretty low quality test all round to be honest - some honest spells from the bowlers, Taylor is pretty much the only innings that looked decent and flat out the worst display of catching I can recall - we've been terrible, but they are appalling

Iafeta

Referee
But he had grounded his bat. Remember Ken Rutherford running out Sanjeewa De Silva once - threw it at his nads, he jumped, direct hit and was out. Appalling sportsmanship.

JJ

Immortal
old Ken didn't have too many highlights in his international career LOL

Iafeta

Referee
CDG the destroyer.

Kenny was a cult hero. Radio Sport used to be littered with calls for his recall. Horrible start with the West Indies, what was it 4 runs from 7 innings, and then dropped by Glenn Turner while captain. And to top it off, he was axed for Lee Germon.

Iafeta

Referee
My word. CDG gets one, then one goes between the slips, then Raval drops a sitter. Raval has been awful this series. CDG could have had 3 wickets in that over.

Iafeta

Referee
200 test wickets for Southee. Shakib had a shocker. Dropped, edged between the slips, and now out. Could have been out 3 times in 10 minutes.

JJ

Immortal
Big talent, but just appalling for a senior player, same in the first test

Iafeta

Referee
Another one gone.

I actually think they're a very talented batting outfit. Where they are falling down is big game mentality. They need a series of away tours

JJ

Immortal
Very reminiscent of us playing Australia, or in India (dare I say pretty much anyone in India)

Competing for periods, winning sessions, but ultimately not able to hold up over 5 days