Banking Royal Commission

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by The Vaulting Violinist, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

Like what? Government ( tax payer ) dollars?

The incentive needs to be that it's the right place to set up shop. Certainly government can help by supporting the local economy in a myriad of ways, but directly funding business to come to an area?

2. Bandwagon

I lived there in the seventies, only a young fella, but yeah, it was.

3. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Tax concessions , streamlined approvals, rail services off the top of my head.

4. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Any prominent examples of this working here or abroad?

What models can we follow or are we heading into the unknown?

5. Bandwagon

Should existing business' also receive those same tax concessions?

What does streamlined look like? Kinda just shirking the rules? I mean either there is shit there for good reason, or there is not, I wouldn't want to see a two tiered regulatory system in place regardless of the intent.

6. Surely

The big driver of growth in seq was the abolition of death taxes

A big incentive

7. 2_Smoking_Guns

2_Smoking_Guns First Grade

I was living in a small flat with a prominent view of Boggo Road Gaol, it felt like a city to me, but I do acknowledge it was a vastly different place to Sydney in those days. Having grown up in a small coastal town of around 1,000 at the time neither place was at all appealing.

8. t-ba

t-ba Coach

So we should abolish taxes to encourage growth? Which in particular? Obviously can't abolish the death duty again.

9. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

Not arguing whether it was 20 years behind Sydney but Auckland, as an example, was 20 years behind Brisbane in those days.

Wintergarden, was that one of the few pubs that opened on Sundays in BrisVegas at the time?

10. Surely

As far as I am aware Australia has special economic zones

It wouldn't be too hard to incentivise growth outside of the major cities.

11. magpie4ever

magpie4ever First Grade

Has the Northern Australian special economic zone ever got off the ground?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Which of these Australian special economic zones would you say has been the most smashing success in creating jobs for long term growth?

And what parts of that could we replicate?

13. Bandwagon

Look, I'm all for the idea of encouraging business into regional centres, but I just don't see the way to do it is to subsidise it,. What has to happen is that it's made more attractive for the natural advantages that an area may hold, and removal of the disadvantages that exist.

So yeah, things like transport and communications infrastructure are areas where the government can legitimately do something that then evens up the playing field. I mean something as simple as finishing our major highways would be a start.

Mind you, there was a fair bit of criticism around here the last time a government sought to place major infrastructure in the regions ahead of the cities.

In the end I think you need an actual business case that stands up on it's own if you want to create that kind of activity and have it last beyond the whim of the government to subsidise it.

14. Surely

In Australia they are piddling little tax offsets, the fact is they exist, so if you can create tax offsets for certain areas it's not too hard to expand.

So no there are no smashing success stories because it's not what they are used for.

However seeing as you are an Asian expert maybe you should look to China and see if any of their special economic zones led to any growth

15. t-ba

t-ba Coach

So we don't have any successful examples of these being used in Australia? How about any examples in the developed word of one of these going off as a great success?

What specific examples can you point out and what can we copy from their development of these to ensure the success of ours?

So we need several hundred million dirt poor farmers to abuse in factories and a maturing manufacturing hub that needs to outsource its factories like Hong Kong next door, all under the eyes of SOE's in a pretty tightly controlled economy? We don't have those things?

16. Surely

So you are unaware of incentives for industry in China

Plenty of us states also offer incentives

Go on though,always with the negative

Your solution is housing must be made cheaper in big cities, ain't going to happen.

17. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Where have I said that is my suggestion? I just want some more flesh on the bones of your idea. I don't disagree that moving people out to regional centres is a good idea, but how do we go about it?Please stop assigning arguments to me.

I am very well aware of China's incentives. I am also aware that an absolute truckload of industry in China is controlled by SOE's and the rest of the big enterprises have extensive links to the government. Can you show us what we can copy to help us out? As a high income economy where most are employed in tertiary industries which part of the successful SEZ models can we copy?

Can you point to a US state with these incentives where these incentives are, how the have successfully worked and what we can do copy them?

18. bazza

bazza Coach

that is very true t-ba, but unfortunately the way it currently is until we get some imagination