What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks

I guess this will cause a bit of controversy, so im going to do the right thing by LWOS guidelines section 6.2 and stick it in the contro corner. I'll entitle it a few thoughts on banks. It was in response to some debate recently over bank fees. I couldn't resist (im currently doing a banking/finance major), so i thought id fire back some random thoughts. Feel free, and im sure people will, to criticise or critique this opinion

<span>Hmmm....well the way i look at it, WBC pulled in a 2billion dollar profit and NAB about 3.4billion
It does sound huge, and it is relative to most Australian institutions. But i think things have to be kept in perspective when discussing this. 99% of people in Australia would do business with a bank. Now, tell me of another institution in Australia that would have such a large potential market?? (excluding telstra who is still majority gov't owned). And banks deal in big $$$. A bank such as WBC deal in the markets, they lend money to wholesale customers, are involved in investment and insurance managment. All hugeee industries. And back to my point of capturing the market, even if WBC only captured 20% of the market (being conservative), that would still be 4 million Australians. And that is not to mention all of the huge businesses that deal with them. The $$$ for banks stack up really quickly is the point that im getting at.
I would have to agree with the issues about fees. But the banks are like any public company, they are return driven and focused on satisfying shareholders. If people have a problem with this, i think its more an issuing of revisiting social values in general, not just the operations of an individual bank. Ask Nike about the avg $60-70 mark-up they charge on shoes. Costs about $4 to make in Indonesia, shipped off to the US, a few minimal costs and hey presto, they charge hundreds. Do a bit of research on any company and u will very quickly find that only a rare few operate within ethical standards.
Im currently doing a major in finance and banking at uni, so i guess this topic has a load of relevance at the moment. Westpac had non-interest expenses of 7.6 billion for the 2001/02 year just finished. Adding onto that 4.1 billion in interest expense and you already have close on 13 billion in expenses. Its quite a bit. And to be fair to them, you also have to consider how much money they donate to charities and things such as the Westpac lifesaver helicopter (although i agree, it could be more)
Basicalllyyyyy...all the whinging on banks is pretty justified. But its a money driven society. Money is the number one driver and indicater of performance. If Dave Morgan could either make 1 million off a $50k investment or spend that same 50k on subsidising the bank fees of 50 grannies, what do u think he would do??
Its a harsh example, but i think you have to look at general societal attitudes and values before the banks start copping all the blame.
Moffo</span>

As the proud owner of a tidy little sum of bank shares(ANZ and NAB), my totally unbiased opinion is you are completely correct Moffo. Banks are doing a fine job.

El Duque

Bench
They are there to make money and they're not a charity so I can't stand people bitching about them. Look at the way NAB shares dropped when they recorded their record profit but it was lower than forecast. Shareholdersare the ones risking their dough for joe public so they're entitled for some rewards.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
I'm not a fan of Banks. If collusion is illegal, why aren't these pricks all in Jail?

I'm in a Credit Union, I joined because of no fees. A while back I was $50.00 short in my account and I was going there anyway, I decided to investigate.

This is how the conversation went:

EA: "There is about $50.00 that has just been taken out of my account, can you please tell me what it's for?"

Clerk (after checking the computer): "Yessir, it's for Bank Fees."

EA: "Bank fees, for what?"

Clerk:" ATM withdrawals, there was a letter sent about a Month ago to everyone."

EA: "I don't read your letters, they're always letter begging me to join some insurance thing you have going".

Clerk: "Well, we did send it".

EA: "Ok, I'll check but what are the fees".

Clerk: "$2.50 for a withdrawal from our Machines and $3.00 for a withdrawal from any other machine".

EA: "Ok, I'll come in and withdraw from the Branch."

Clerk: "That's $3.50 per withdrawal."

EA: "So, taking money out of my account is a privilige I have to pay for?"

Clerk: "It's to cover costs, sir".

EA: "To make it even, when I have to wait in line, I expect to be compensated at $40.00 per hour. You're not going to charge me $3.50 for 5 seconds work and not give me the service I deserve are you?Once I'm in line I'll start the stopwatch, is that ok?"

Clerk: "It doesn't work like that"

EA: "I figured that, I'd like to withdraw the balance and close my account thanks"

Clerk: "May I ask why?"

EA: "Are you serious? No, you may not."

These pricks take advantage of the fact that most people are paid directly into their accounts. They charge for everything.

If you work at a Bank, I hope you get a Sexually Transmitted Disease from your Mum. And yes, I know it's not your fault but I hope so anyway.

If you work at a Bank, I hope you get a Sexually Transmitted Disease from your Mum. And yes, I know it's not your fault but I hope so anyway.

Oh and it's the banktellers fault for your incompitence in not reading the letter they sent you, right?
Well mate, I don't work in a bank, but on behalf of all those that do in the hope of earning some bucks to support his or her family and whatnot.....f**k YOU ARSE WIPE!

You don't whish that kind ofshit upon anyone dickhead!
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\
Raging Bulldog

Raging Bulldogs most recent posts <table border=1 bordercolor=#cccccc cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100%> <tbody> <tr> <td width=100%> <table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=100%> <tbody> <tr class=ThmBgStandard> <td width=100%>Banks
If you work at a Bank, I hope you get a Sexually Transmitted Disease from your Mum. And yes, I know it's not your fault but I hope so anyway.Oh and it's the banktellers fau...
</td> <td nowrap valign=top>11-11-02 </td></tr> <tr class=ThmBgAlternate> <td width=100%>LWOS managerial re-shuffle
Any questions, criticisms or suggestions, please feel to post them here or if you like, feel free to pop us an email. Everyone has a say in how this pl...
</td> <td nowrap valign=top>10-16-02 </td></tr> <tr class=ThmBgStandard> <td width=100%>Hovering messages
Piss off Gav you tosser!Just because nobody givestwo f**ksabout your pathetic posts, doesn't mean you have to attack one of the best posters here. You jealous prick! f**k you!...
</td> <td nowrap valign=top>10-01-02 </td></tr> <tr class=ThmBgAlternate> <td width=100%>Problems at LWOS
One of the best damn threads I've ever read on any message board was one posted by bronco on the old WORL page titled &quot;Why does everyone hate the Broncos?&quot; that was until some ph...
</td> <td nowrap valign=top>09-27-02 </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table> LOL- an angry man who lurks in the shadows of insignificance- how quaint

And who are you? His closet buddy? His bumchum?Or maybe the same person hiding behind two seperate accounts?
You don't know shit about me or my times at LWOS pal. I was here before you were itching your daddy's pants pal.So take the train you WORL reject -leftover - dickhead!
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

V

Vertigo

Good to see you posting again Raging-Bulldog.
"You don't whish that kind ofsh#t upon anyone..." - Well said :)
V.

And who are you? His closet buddy? His bumchum?Or maybe the same person hiding behind two seperate accounts?
Four questions in one stanza. That leads me to believe you have some serious issues.Unsure of yourself? I noticed question number three in particular...those that throw around accusations of homosexuality are usually the ones questioning their own sexuality. If the show fits I suppose....... You don't know shit about me or my times at LWOS pal. I was here before you were itching your daddy's pants pal.So take the train you WORL reject -leftover - dickhead! Well actually, I do know that your postings have been few and far between over the past few months. I must say however that I am impressed by your variation of the &quot;daddy's pants&quot; joke. Nothing like a regurgitated one- liner to make an impression- and cover up insecurities.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
lol

I was wondering if there was any Bank personnel game to respond. But someone defending them? I didn't think it'd be someone that dumb.

First of all Raging, you must get the gist of a bait/contoversy thread. Congratulations on being the first fool to take the bait.

Oh and it's the banktellers fault for your incompitence in not reading the letter they sent you, right?

Yeah it is. Tell them to get their Bank to stop sending 10 letters a week begging me to get insured by them and I'll take notice of the letters. Also, while you're at it, tell them to learn what customer service is you Pelican. If I treated my customers the way those wankers do, I'd be whoring myself out on the same corner as your siblings.

Well mate, I don't work in a bank, but on behalf of all those that do in the hope of earning some bucks to support his or her family and whatnot.....f**k YOU ARSE WIPE!

lol Dumbarse. You don't work at a Bank? You should. You'd be perfect.

You don't whish that kind ofshit upon anyone dickhead!
I did, twice. May I add that I hope your rectal orifice heals up so that there'd be two types of shit coming out of your mouth instead of one. At least people could smell you coming.

G'day V.
embeer.gif

I had no intentions of posting again until the 2003 season kicked off mate, but this dickhead triggered a nerve. I still read often as ever mate, but lately the forum doesn't appeal to me at all. I can see thatbronco's comments under another alias in another thread makes a shit load of sense now. I feel the same way.
Anyway mate, I'm going to stcik with my original intentions.I'm not going to give these/this WORL troll the time of my day.They/he can get f**ked for all I care.
See you early 2003.
Raging Bulldog

You had no intentions of posting until early 2003, but you still read as often as ever? LOL- I can see why you are such an asset to this place Tell it how it it- you tried to stage a comeback and release some of the rage that had built up inside of you that usually accompanies questions over ones sexuality. However, you quickly realised that you were out of your league and you now plan to return to the shadows after having your bottom firmly smacked. Hope the smacked bottom helps you on your quest for answers.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
V

Vertigo

Antichrist - You are mistaking me for somebody I am not. The style of posting you have portrayed in this thread from reply 12 onwards, is not the kind I engage in or acknowledge.
I'm just letting you know in this instance. I have nothing further to say to you in this thread.
Thank you and have a pleasant day.
V.

imported_midas

Juniors
The choices are quite clear.Put your Bugs Bunny in a kero tin under the lemon tree,stash it in the mattress or put it in the bank.If you put it in the Bank they will provide you with a service but,like any other business ,will charge you for that service.
Now some of their charges may be exorbitant but if you go to a bank and see some of these dickheads who tie up a window for 20 minutes with transactions totalling $100 tops,then you think ,well someones got to pay for that.
None of this is to defend the banks who are a greedy pack of bastards but they are running businesses in a competitive marketplace and we do have freedom of choice.
Personally I think the kero tin option merits consideration.

Latest posts