What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barba

Chimp

Juniors
Barba caught sniffing the old Colombian marching powder and subject to a 12 week ban....

Hope this isn't a sign of our guys over indulging in the celebrations. And more importantly, I hope this doesn't have an impact on his wellbeing and performances moving forward. He more than anyone needs to remain in a good headspace to enable his best performances.

So people dont have a to click.
Please note: its the Sloth at large.

THE Cronulla Sharks grand final celebrations have been shattered with revelations superstar fullback Ben Barba has tested positive to cocaine and faces a 12-week suspension from the beginning of next season.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Barba was tested four days after the grand final victory over Melbourne Storm as the players celebrated the club’s first ever premiership after 50 years in the competition.

Barba and the club were notified by the NRL of the positive result two weeks ago. It is the second time he has tested positive to recreational drugs.

795e3aa5bd35bdb39a4ab9da537c5bd3

It’s the second time the talented fullback has tested positive for illict substances. Picture: Mark Cranitch.
36139bcd7adeec2528f29a925a2fa58f

Ben Barba celebrates after scoring a try during the Sharks’ grand final win over Storm this year. Picture: AAP
The Sharks are supporting the superstar fullback, who is about to leave the country to get treatment at a Thailand rehabilitation centre.

Under the NRL drugs policy, a second strike means an automatic 12-match suspension althouygh there were suggestions last night Barba would be lodging an appeal.

Barba spent yesterday in Cronulla with his partner Ainslie and young family. They were spotted walking along the Cronulla esplanade before he flies out in the next 48 hours.

He will be accompanied by the Sharks’ welfare officer Shane Smith.

The former Bulldogs and Broncos fullback previously spent time in rehab in 2013 to deal with anger issues and a gambling addiction.

93c76d3f71734bcfa80b26a4d9ee8007

Barba celebrates with the crowd after the Sharks’ victory over the Storm. Picture: Getty Images
It was thought he had turned his life around at the Sharks this season where he returned to the form that saw him become Dally M champion in 2012.

A spokesman for the NRL declined to comment last night when asked if the integrity unit was handling Barba’s case.

In September The Daily Telegraph revealed all NRL clubs and players had been warned of a Mad Monday blitz on party drugs as hundreds of footy stars began their end-of-season celebrations.

“Players should be particularly aware that they are subject to testing in the period immediately following their team’s elimination from the competition, including after end-of-season celebrations and the like,” said integrity unit boss Nick Weeks says in an email to all the clubs.

He added: “This is a risk period for players and clubs so please take this opportunity to remind players about the league’s expectations (and the rules) in relation to illicit drugs.”

Cronulla chief executive Lyall Gorman was unavailable for comment late last night.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...n/news-story/6bdcc6d40d84bc44600a0c9ee87f8404

6bdcc6d40d84bc44600a0c9ee87f8404

sandshark

Bench
You just can't catch a break being a Sharks supporter.
Hope benny comes out of it ok, waiting for the sharks shit storm from media now.

ragzouken

Juniors
Who gives a f**k, good on him wins the comp, then has a bender with the boys, would of been a killer weekend, doubt he would of been the only one..it seems extremely common place in the area these days.

lolesi

First Grade
Silly merkin.

Also quite funny that after mad Monday for every nrl club only one player tested positive...

shaggs

Coach
It's only blow. Players should be able to take whatever they want. Recreational, perfo nance and enhancing who cares/

Stop all this bullshit about testing and players and clubs saying we are clean etc. make it a level playing field and take whatever the f**k you want.

Stick this in your quad every second day and swallow this every mornin and night. You will be the fastest and strongest sportsman ever. But don't forget you may also die. Your choice.

Card Shark

Immortal
f**k me, it was the off-season. Some guys had been on it 4 weeks.

He's on holidays, he waited 11 months for that!

'Guilty' as charged. The real issue is the approach our society takes to narcotics and other drugs. I'm not 'pro drugs' per se, but believe a supportive approach to treating drug use as a medical issue would deliver better outcomes than our current approach of handing down sanctions on a legal issue. All current research supports this stance. This is particularly applicable when no other party has been injured or directly placed at risk (eg DUI) as a result.

Chimp

Juniors
I'm very much anti-drugs, but that's my personal choice and I have no problems if someone else wants to have a bash at whatever substance takes their fancy.

In the team I play for, there's only 2 of us out of a 30 man squad that don't get on the gear on a night out.

I can understand the players are 'role models', so they need to be as clean skinned as possible, but testing them for recreational drugs 4 days after the final when the season is over seems ridiculous. What good does it serve?

coolumsharkie

Referee
He's f**ked. Hopefully he can come back firing for the 2nd part of our season. It's going to stretch us a bit. next season.

I want back to back, ones great but I reckon we have 2 in us.

Arnold

Juniors
More pissed off about the 3 months he misses next year. Good one Ben. Did you really think you wouldn't be tested after a gf?

Chimp

Juniors
He's f**ked. Hopefully he can come back firing for the 2nd part of our season. It's going to stretch us a bit. next season.

I want back to back, ones great but I reckon we have 2 in us.

Beale to the wing, Val to fullback.... or Beale to centre, Birdy to drop back.... No problems!

It's already started on Channel 9.

Ben Barba's career is in doubt after testing positive to cocaine....... Blah blah blah.

Who decides that? Channel 9?

Talk about over dramatising the incident.