What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barba

Arnold

Juniors
This whole thing is a disappointment. Barba was epic for us in 2015 and he has had some really bad advice since that test. The fact he asked for a release without understanding that a contract wouldn't be registered(ie paid) until the suspension was over screams bad management.

Best of luck Ben. The silver lining is this saves us an awkward decision between Holmes and Barba.

Was good in 2016 too.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Agree on Barba re the defence, was great in organising, the first time i heard about fullbacks organising defence was Ridge at Manly and how he was directing back there.

The one thing i fear with Holmes to start is has to get used to fullback, and he will have to make sure getting into players ear re defence.

Bird would have no problem telling players where to be but dont see him as fullback

There is a reason he is now one of the highest paid rugby players on the planet & the highest paid rugby league player.
In hind sight, I'm looking at how Cronula farked this up.
What were we thinking halving his contract? We should have increased his pay through a system while he was deregistered as its not in the cap.
Catastrophic.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Catastrophic my arse.....players cop season ending injuries in trial games and early games. We've known since early October that Benny would be with us for the second half of the season at best. Perfect opportunity to see where Val is at before committing to the sort of money he will command elsewhere.

kal83

Juniors
Im happy to wait and see. He was huge for us last year and now he is gone. Valentine is our man now.

snout

First Grade
In February last year if the genie had said would you like Ben Barba for 12 months - he will win you your first premiership in October.......but after that he will ride off into the sunset.

The answer woulda been f**k Yeah!

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
The way Barba has been run out of the game stinks in my opinion.

Inglis and Auva'a bash their partners yet play in premiership teams and Barba snorts cocaine and he's run out of town with flaming torches and pitchforks.

The inconsistency at NRL Central is mindblowing.

Chimp

Bench

Inglis and Auva'a bash their partners yet play in premiership teams and Barba snorts cocaine and he's run out of town with flaming torches and pitchforks.

I'm aware my following post would only be fitting if I wore a tinfoil hat, but.....

I reckon the club or certain players would have decent grounds for a discrimination case against the NRL as a result of their inconstency. Just off the top of my head (and I'm sure there'll be more);

Fifita 'FKL' situation - Addo-Carr try celebration = No investigation and is actually celebrated in the press. Other players with initials and messages on strapping not investigated - the press guessed at what FKL might stand for and that was enough to warrant a full blown investigation, that took longer than any other known investigation (all of which played out in the press), and resulted in an official fine of $20k and unofficial punishment of no kangaroo selection or Clive Churchill medal consideration.

Barba contract registration - Many examples of contracts being ratified immediately (Hayne left RU 7's, signed with Titans and made debut all within 7 days) - why the wait on Barba with no update? Why is he not allowed to train with the squad when other players at other clubs have been allowed to both whilst suspended and whilst not registered. Players guilty of criminal offences have been registered quicker! What about the Titans lot who got caught - Birdy, Taylor etc

ASADA - Don't wanna dig it all up again - but Manly???

Gals $50k fine - How was the fair and representative of fines for other much more grotesque incidents

Im sure a good legal eagle would easily mount a case that there's too many for it to be coincidence.

southland

Juniors

Yep, it is.

Cocaine is a drug, so is alcohol. Look at the NRL imposed sanctions against the Eels player Terepo for drink driving - an action that puts others at risk. He cops a fine, a three game suspension and counselling. Barba parties after a GF win and he cops a 12 month suspension and is barred from the direct welfare that being with and training with a club provides.

Inconsistent is an understatement.

taipan

Referee
The only thing I would add, this is Ben's 2nd drug positive result.If you haven't learnt after 1st shot, what does it take, when you have a family to support and a club that loves your work.
I fully appreciate him helping us win the big one, but what about the next one?

I'm as devastated as the next man over his move to Vichyland,but he made the choices not the drug testers, not the NRL,not our CEO.
Some might say it's giving his fans the bird,not the Jack one.The drug clause I understand is on NRL contracts, you sign, you accept.
NBTW it's a 12 match suspension,not 12 months.

cb4

First Grade

Auva'a served a 20-week suspension once he was charged, and Inglis was never charged.

This is Bens second offence and the laws and protocols are clear for a second recreational strike.
Barba was not run out of the game. Barba has run from the game. That is a big difference.
Barba had a contract with Cronulla that would have been registered once the 12 games were over.
Cronulla knew nothing about him negotiating or signing with French Rugby, Barba has looked after himself.
Good on him.
$2.5 Million would make me change profession with no experience as well.

cb4

First Grade
Yep, it is.

Cocaine is a drug, so is alcohol. Look at the NRL imposed sanctions against the Eels player Terepo for drink driving - an action that puts others at risk. He cops a fine, a three game suspension and counselling. Barba parties after a GF win and he cops a 12 month suspension and is barred from the direct welfare that being with and training with a club provides.

Inconsistent is an understatement.

12 month suspension? No. This is also his second offence, something we Sharks fans conveniently overlook.

cb4

First Grade
The only thing I would add, this is Ben's 2nd drug positive result.If you haven't learnt after 1st shot, what does it take, when you have a family to support and a club that loves your work.
I fully appreciate him helping us win the big one, but what about the next one?

I'm as devastated as the next man over his move to Vichyland,but he made the choices not the drug testers, not the NRL,not our CEO.
Some might say it's giving his fans the bird,not the Jack one.The drug clause I understand is on NRL contracts, you sign, you accept.
NBTW it's a 12 match suspension,not 12 months.

Great post.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Auva'a served a 20-week suspension once he was charged, and Inglis was never charged.

This is Bens second offence and the laws and protocols are clear for a second recreational strike.
Barba was not run out of the game. Barba has run from the game. That is a big difference.
Barba had a contract with Cronulla that would have been registered once the 12 games were over.
Cronulla knew nothing about him negotiating or signing with French Rugby, Barba has looked after himself.
Good on him.
$2.5 Million would make me change profession with no experience as well.

Look I'm the first to admit Barba f**ked up no arguments from me on that point.

However what does piss me off is the constant double standards by the NRL administration.

Andrew Johns openly admits he snorted the very thing Barba did throughout his entire career and then gets arrested in the U.K. but then he is afforded a cushy job in the NRL media and is given Immortal status.

Then the NRL makes up the rules again as they go along carrying on like they are a moral crusader and the second coming of Billy Graham.

Quigs

Immortal
Then the NRL makes up the rules again as they go along carrying on like they are a moral crusader and the second coming of Billy Graham.

Is Billy Wades old man?

..... (Pssssts do you reckon Billy was slipping Jacquie one on the side whilst JFK was stoned off his face?)

. (Pssssts do you reckon Billy was slipping Jacquie one on the side whilst JFK was stoned off his face?)

Quigs, quite possible, esp when JFK and brother Bobby were slipping theirs to Marilyn Monroe.

Ads

First Grade
Whatever you think, he is now gone and we are significantly worse off. Our backline just went from a top 4 to a bottom 8 IMO. We need a signing on the wing that is an upgrade on Feki/Beale/Drew/Younguns asap. Get that and Sege and we might have a shot at top 4.