Barnaby the Kiwi

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by justdave, Aug 14, 2017.

1. justdave

justdave Juniors

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...tential-dual-citizenship-20170814-gxvhs2.html

AUGUST 14 2017 - 11:22AM
    Barnaby Joyce refers himself to High Court over potential dual citizenship

Barnaby Joyce has referred himself to the High Court following questions from Fairfax Media about whether the Deputy Prime Minister could be a dual citizen of New Zealand and ineligible for parliament.

In shock developments at Parliament House on Monday, Mr Joyce became the latest potential victim of a worsening citizenship saga after extensive investigations revealed he inherited dual citizenship through his father, who was born in NZ.

Barnaby Joyce may be a kiwi
    Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce tells parliment that he could be a New Zealand citizen.

Questions over dual citizenship - which is prohibited for members of parliament under the constitution - have already forced two Greens senators to quit, Nationals senator Matt Canavan to resign as resources minister, and put question marks over a number of other MPs.

The Deputy Prime Minister, who was born in Australia and has never applied for New Zealand citizenship, said he was "shocked" to receive Fairfax Media's questions on Thursday. Fairfax Media also sent an additional request for comment about an hour before Mr Joyce's bombshell announcement.

2. justdave

justdave Juniors

I really hope he is. It would be delicious!

3. Surely

Surely Moderator Staff Member

Choice bru

4. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Why isn't ba ba barnaby standing down?

5. justdave

justdave Juniors

Because he Baaarnaby

6. Haffa

Haffa Guest

Born in Tamworth, supports Queensland, NZ citizen.....

Fangs likes this.
  7. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Barnaby Joyce citizenship: Email that could bring down the deputy PM was sent on August 7, at 12.31pm

Last Monday I got a phone call from a normally reliable source. With the section 44 wrecking ball still swinging through Parliament, the source suggested I might want to take a closer look at Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce's citizenship.

My first reaction was to laugh. Joyce had been in Parliament since 2004, serving in both chambers. He'd risen to the second most powerful office in the land. Surely he'd done his due diligence? Plus, Joyce was a guy who prided himself in being authentically Aussie. The thought he might secretly be a Kiwi was almost too outlandish to contemplate.

Almost.

The fear of getting scooped is a powerful motivator in journalism. So I quickly started digging, establishing that Joyce's father - James Joyce - had been born in the south island city of Dunedin in 1924. He was born a British subject but New Zealand citizenship laws made him an New Zealand citizen. The same laws - the British Nationality and New Zealand Citizenship Act 1948 - said that: "A person born after the commencement of this Act shall be a New Zealand citizen by descent if his father was a New Zealand citizen."

That seemed pretty black and white: there was no requirement to activate the citizenship, it was automatic.

So at 12.31pm on Monday, August 7, I sent Joyce's media adviser, Jake Smith, an email entitled: "Is the boss a Kiwi?"

I set out a series of questions based on what I'd found. During a subsequent phone call, Jake was dismissive. We've had all these questions before, he said, but there's nothing to see here. The NZ authorities have told us we don't have a problem, Barnaby established that many years ago.

I wasn't convinced. I dug some more and found a number of places where the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) said citizenship by descent was automatic, and registration was only needed if you wanted a passport.

I went to the New Zealand High Commission and the DIA and put to them a "hypothetical scenario" because they would not comment on specific cases. I pressed them repeatedly for a response but they did not answer.

[​IMG]
    At this point I decided I needed some extra firepower and brought colleague Amy Remeikis on board. I ran her through it and she agreed - there was something here.

So we decided to ask some experts. George Williams and Anne Twomey, Australia's top constitutional experts, were the logical choice. Both agreed that Joyce could be in trouble, but cautioned they were not experts on New Zealand law.

We found Anna Hood at the University of Auckland, an international law expert who had written a paper on New Zealand citizenship. She too agreed: at the very least Barnaby had a case to answer.

Satisfied we had something, we went back to Smith in Joyce's office at 1.39pm on Thursday, August 10.

"We have done some more digging, we have spoken to NZ authorities and we have obtained advice from three leading experts. Based on all this, we believe there are some open questions here - and we believe we have enough to write a story saying as much," we emailed.

"Our advice is that any person born to a Kiwi father between 1949 and 1978 automatically became an NZ citizen by descent. There is a further process you can go through to register that citizenship - the process that confers the rights such as passports etc. But even if that citizenship is never registered, the person is still an NZ citizen."

We now know that August 10 was when the government started discussing this looming bombshell with the solicitor-general.

But Smith told us he would only respond to an on-the-record response from the New Zealand High Commission. We explained they hadn't given us one yet but we still believed the story was strong enough run.

Ultimately, we decided to give Smith and Joyce some more time: it's a big thing to accuse the Deputy Prime Minister of potentially being ineligible to sit in the Parliament.

But first thing on Monday - at 7.56am - we told Smith his time was up. We were ready to write.

The story was just about ready to go when Joyce got to his feet in the House of Representatives to tell a stunned Parliament he may be a dual citizen and would refer himself to the High Court.

After repeatedly ignoring, obfuscating and seeking to mislead us, he finally confessed.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...nt-on-august-7-at-1231pm-20170814-gxvjlq.html

Haffa likes this.
  8. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

This is farcical. The AEC need to get their shit together.

9. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

10. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Well that's him gone too one would imagine.

11. Hawkins

Hawkins Juniors

you bastards.

We should treat him with the same level of respect he shows towards celebrity dogs at the very least.

to_ddeath and Pete Cash like this.
  12. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

No f**king way should Labor grant him a pair.

13. Danish

Danish Referee

This is better than when a bible bashing anti-gay reverend/pastor winds up being found to be engaging in all male orgies on the side

Apey, Cletus, t-ba and 5 others like this.
  14. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

its amazing to me how often a politician goes ape on someone and is found out to be equally guilty.

Shame its not a marginal seat lol. That could have been fun and games.

15. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Coach

Hahaha goddamn that's hilarious. I'm surprised that the citizenship is automatically conferred- I suspect that there's probably quite a few others in parliament about to feel the heat now. I also suspect that this will likely spark some sort of constitutional reform.

Cletus likes this.
  16. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I just cant see Australia passing this at referendum. Like maybe we would but we don't pass a lot of referendum in general and make it easier for joe foreigner to get into parliament isn't the type of thing to unite the country

17. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

f**king lol

I think it a measure of the man he's refusing to stand aside

Gtfo you beetroot faced merkin

Cletus, Generalzod and justdave like this.
  18. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Coach

True that. It really needs at lest a minor amendment though. As much as Barnaby is a knob I actually feel for him here, I think it's pretty ridiculous that people are excluded over citizenship that they have never claimed or acquired by birth. It should at least need to be registered with the foreign government in question.

He should still fall on his sword though, as the law stands he's f**ked

19. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Hoist...meet petard.

20. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

It's been about half an hour and I'm still chuckling about this

f**king lol