What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bastard Referees

ALSGI

Bench
Is it just me or do we get a raw deal from these f**kers?
I mean I've seen some things go our way too but we always seem to be on the wrong side of the ledger in the big calls that are match deciders. The stats don't mean much when we get some blatant concessional penalties late in the game.
Especially over the last few years without the referees having to answer to a strong coach or captain like Bennett/Hornby.
I read an article many years ago about refereeing that indicated the lighter the team colours the more penalties conceded, I think the research related to Soccer or Basketball but proved relevant to all codes statistically at the time.

Imo we seem to consistently get a raw deal, especially at critical times.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I mean I've seen some things go our way too but we always seem to be on the wrong side of the ledger in the big calls that are match deciders. The stats don't mean much when we get some blatant concessional penalties late in the game.
Especially over the last few years without the referees having to answer to a strong coach or captain like Bennett/Hornby.
I read an article many years ago about refereeing that indicated the lighter the team colours the more penalties conceded, I think the research related to Soccer or Basketball but proved relevant to all codes statistically at the time.

When you're losing or playing like shit, you are always more likely to get the rough end of the pineapple. All the 50 50s will go with the team that is generally higher on the ladder. What pisses me, is that the 50 50s will always go to the side tipped to win early in the match and then in the 2nd half if the penalty count is lopsided, the refs will blow a few eveners in an attempt to look like he called a fair game.

Red V for life

Juniors
I don't disagree.

The thing that really irks me around officiating is the lack of consistency which I think, being a one-eyed Dragons fan admittedly , we seem to cop in spades.

Exhibit A: Tyson Frizzell's "avoidable" contact with a referee. Suspension. Hayne a repeat offender. Nothing. Squat diddly. Nothing. And according to Greenberg any touching of the officials was not going to be tolerated.

Even going back years with Bill "Hollywood" Harrigan and his desire to penalise us for being offside at the kick off usually late in the game. Warranted? Sure. However, it happened ALL game, but he'd blow the whistle late and usually with the game in the balance.

Anyway, let's hope the action on the field is all we remember this year and the officials are in the background.

Old Timer

Coach
Far too often we give a way dumb and blatant penalties.
If we cut these out the ledger would look much better.
No doubt even doing that we would still cop the raw end of some 50/50 calls but all teams do suffer that at points during the season.
IMO the faster the game is played the less likely you are to give or get penalties and we are unfortunately are a slow and ponderous side.

St Georgio

Juniors
I have been a Dragon since 77, I can unequivocally say throughout the 90,s up until God came along 2009-2011 90% of 50-50 call would go against the Dragons, some great ones I can recall 1995 semi to the Dogs ..every bullshit 50-50 went against us, 1998 semis to the Dogs... forward pass tries...A try given to Rod Silva clearly short of the try line...Steven Clark (ref) got spat on, 1996 Gf Manly player Mathew Ridge is allowed to run a further 50 meters after been tackled by Nathan Brown this sets up an easy try for Manly from the next play..massive turning point in the game from 8-2 @half time we are down 14-2 game over against the brick defense of Manly.
1999 GF ..ok..all Anthony Mundine has to do is pass the ball with 2 unmarked players to his left and Saints win by 40 but he is thinking about the backflip celebration..at that point game over saints lead by at least 18-20 points but not, we are up by only 14 points..then Fwit Harrigan decides to give the Storm a leg up..every 50-50 call for the last 17 minutes of that GF went against the Saints..the rest is History.
I also heard John Stanley bring up the 1985 Gf talking about being dudded in that GF!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Far too often we give a way dumb and blatant penalties.
If we cut these out the ledger would look much better.
No doubt even doing that we would still cop the raw end of some 50/50 calls but all teams do suffer that at points during the season.
IMO the faster the game is played the less likely you are to give or get penalties and we are unfortunately are a slow and ponderous side.
I agree with your comments re dumb penalties happens early in the game.....and usually our pack are the culprits...it also depends on who your playing for instance In Brisbane and Melbourne where the crowds are 90% the home team and you sit close to the action the refs are easily intimidated.....and last but not least the captains, unfortunately our last two Creagh and Widdop were/are very soft.....if you look at Smith from Melbourne hes always confrontational and gets away with murder probably because hes always questioning the refs decisions and hes the Aussie skipper....you only have to count how many forward passes he throws from dummy half to see what I'm talking about

Uplifting

Juniors
Refereeing, the mysterious unknown element to most NRL games.

Nowadays I just applaud when I think the better team one and that random calls haven't effected the outcome of the game...

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Other than the Dragons, name one other club that's been denied victory because the referee failed to hear the siren?

The AFL had a similar situation, acknowledged it, and rectified the problem.

Not the NRL though.

Officials have been cheating bastards against Saints since the "Golden Era", but names such as Roberts, Harrigan and Clark still rankle.

Old Timer

Coach
Who could forget Hartley?
He dished out some real shockers to all sorts of clubs other than Manly of course.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

All is good mate, I've just had a report come back that our friends who hold thy whistle, will have better vision this season.

6a476bd59ef4ff68af2a02a35b89bd57.jpg

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Who could forget Hartley?
He dished out some real shockers to all sorts of clubs other than Manly of course.

Considering Hartley was in charge of the '79 grand final, any misgivings he had have been absolved (take note of the dubious pass he allowed which led to Brian Johnson's try).

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Agree refs calls have hurt many times over the years but what I've learnt watching all this time is bad calls happens to every team - it's the way you deal with it that matters. Weaker spirited teams will let it get to them, Melbourne do not.

j0nesy

Bench
We are usually dominated in the tackle in attack and defence so we struggle to clear the ruck when defending and tend to give away silly penalties in attempt to slow the play the ball.

TruSaint

Referee
Yeah we have copped some bad calls, but with respect so has every club in the NRL.

Sh..t happens.

The good teams deal with it and move on.

We have copped some rippers over the past , but lets be real here. We have also had some crucial calls go our way. Unfortunately, they havent been in " prime " games, but have led us to questionable wins.

Like all here, i watch a game blinded by passion and bias. In reality, these calls do balance out in the end.

I dont think our refs are top notch, and i do think they they have a preconceived opinion on a player ( eg. Ryles), but i dont think its limited to us.

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
So now we are losing because of the refs, another one for Mary to use at his pressers. We lose these days because we have a shit coach.

Latest posts