What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bathurst 2016 - unwatchable crap

Parra

Referee
Trying to watch this 'live' on fox. It is hopeless trying to watch 50% of the race in picture-in-picture format with audio from ads playing

Awful joke. It's the only interesting touring car race of the year and the broadcast has ruined it.

There is bugger all 'live' about this. Better to follow this via live updates this year. Shame.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Fox have no say on the ads you clown, it's on the anti siphoning list, would you rather them just go to the straight ads every 10 or so minutes... Heres a plan, don't like ads, go to the damn thing.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
I know why the ads are there. This doesn't make it any more palatable.

Only a clown would try and defend this garbage.

some11

Referee
Whincup takes out McLaughlin which triggers Tander's crash.

15 second penalty - sucked in you f**ken wanker.

T-Boon

Coach
There was something more authentic about the whole thing before the safety car became a way of giving us these "great" finishes. I just watch the start and the finish now.

The Undertaker

Juniors
Haven't watched since Brock, Gricey and Perkins finished up and I got rid of the VK chaser TBH.
Too much wanking shit with the commentators in fire suits etc. Don't mind the tech stuff, explanations of car set up etc though, quite interesting.
Went for a surf, took the boy to the nets, lifted some weights then relaxed and watched the cricket.
Wayy better.

DiegoNT

First Grade
From memory we had race a few years back that had no safety car in the final quater of the race and it was still decided on the last lap. I think either 2012 or 2013. As for the safety car, i used to get annoyed at the safety car closing the field up, but i think the Jules Bianchi incident in f1 was a wakeup call. They tried to put the spectacle of the race above the safety of the drivers and officials and the results were tragic.

duck

Juniors
Between 1972 and the mid 80s I never missed a minute. Slowly lost interest as my favourite drivers retired and I got older. Motorsport was once all I cared about then it got boring.
Switched on yesterday for the first time in many years. Watched for about 40 minutes of which 30 minutes were footage of pitstops.

Then I switched off.

duck

Juniors
There was something more authentic about the whole thing before the safety car became a way of giving us these "great" finishes. I just watch the start and the finish now.
Brocky winning by 6 laps was a stunning display of how good he was.

Dodgy

Juniors
There are heaps of factors that have stuffed up Bathurst.

To begin with

- The current race is actually not the original one. But it trades off the original race's history. No one gives a ****.
- It's part of the series championship. That effects how the races is approaced.
- The GC race is on two weeks later.
- The two reason above dilute the focus overall. Yeah, Bathurst is great. But there's also series points we have to worry about as well. Now we'll have to quickly focus on GC. It's not as full on as it should be.

There's no build up, no crescendo for everyone to look forward to. Unlike a footy code having a Grand Final. There's no time to wind down. Unlike up until they mid-90s. The series was over before Bathurst. Bathurst was separate. Then there was a month before the Adelaide GP support races. Which didn't mean anything and were a free hit.

- Spec cars. They're not genuine.
- Small field in the mid-20s.
- It isn't a multiple class race. Like how it originally was and should be.
- Tim Schenken's terrible race management.
- Neil Crompton is terrible as the leader of the media department. It contributes to how the race is viewed.
- Instead of being an uniquely Australian race/series. It copies to much off NASCAR.

Even though they aren't commercially as big. I think that's why the 12 hour gained some popularity (Even the 6 hours). Even though that isn't perfect. But with v8supercars buying a commercial stake. They'll limit the potential of that as well.

Brocky winning by 6 laps was a stunning display of how good he was.
Brock was a great driver, as too was his partner Jim Richards. But tbf, I think that result is more to do with how good the HDT Torana was on the day.

duck

Juniors
All good points @Dodgy and I agree about Richards. Particularly in the wet he was unbeatable.

And yeah the HDT Toranas were good but none of the others could drive them like Brock.

One of the most amazing displays I've ever seen was Brock, in a half busted car, after a full days racing, in the lead, and on the last lap breaks the lap record.

Simply astonishing given the circumstances.