What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of the Dolphins

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
I don't think the Wynnum and Tweed case can be compared to this because both are long time existing clubs not one being started from scratch but that is only my opinion

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Interesting point. Ask Serle how he'd feel about letting the Redcliffe DOLPHINS into the NRL in 5 or 10 years and see what he says.....

Then he'd be talking legal action and trademark law. Ask him if he'd agree if Redcliffe chipped in $10,000 a year for him to shut his gob and take his medicine? :evil:

Stewbum said:
Interesting point. Ask Serle how he'd feel about letting the Redcliffe DOLPHINS into the NRL in 5 or 10 years and see what he says.....

Then he'd be talking legal action and trademark law. Ask him if he'd agree if Redcliffe chipped in $10,000 a year for him to shut his gob and take his medicine? :evil:

You're on another tangent there Stewbum...your hypothetical is based upon a team being admitted under the same emblem/mascot as one already established in the same comp.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That's what is being talked about with the Wynnum - Tweed situation.

I don't think it was ever a problem for Wynnum Club or its supporters. Tweed is one of the oldest clubs in Australia, certainly pre-dating Wynnum, and nobody expected that they should have to change their emblem on entering the Queensland Cup.

It was a bit different back in 1987 when Valleys tried to incorporate the Seagulls into their name - it's a bit rich changing your name to the emblem of an existing club in your competition.

The big issue for Gold Coast is that they have taken the logo of one of the major existing clubs in Queensland. If they called themselves the Bullfrogs and a Woop Woop Bullfrogs already played out in the bush, the impact wouldn't be as significant. Taking the emblem of a major club with plenty of existing media coverage and merchandise is a lot different.

Eelectrica

Referee
I find it quite bizarre that their are two teams using the same name in the same comp.
I'm surprised the CEO of the QRL didn't say to the team entering the comp that the seagulls name had already been taken, and to choose another.
When the NRL expands we won't ever see duplicate names.

If tomorrows meeting to secure conditional funding for the stadium upgrade doesn't go well, then this whole debate is meaningless anyway as there will never be another GC league team in the NRL.

PS. Conditional funding meaning that if the team is admitted in the league, then funding will be provided, no team, then obviously no funding.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
I find it quite bizarre that their are two teams using the same name in the same comp.
I'm surprised the CEO of the QRL didn't say to the team entering the comp that the seagulls name had already been taken, and to choose another.

I think that's just been explained. It wasn't a problem to the Wynnum Seagulls or anyone else. Tweed Seagulls have existed since 1909 and are entitled to their logo. In fact, they have more often been referred to as the "Seagulls Football Club" rather than "Tweed". If you go to Piggabeen, games are always announced as "Seagulls v Norths" rather than "Tweed v Norths".

A proud club with a proud history.

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
How much are they after for the Stadium upgrade in one report I read it had 40 million that can't be right can it.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
XXXX Cap said:

Thanks Cap.

I dont think these NRL blow-ins understand no-one here is anti Gold Coast for the NRL (Mighty Bears excluded but with good reason! ;-) )

But if they think Redcliffe supporters are going to lie down and take the theft of our emblem they are mistaken. You'd think a new franchise would want to make friends not enemies. Well boys, Redcliffe are a formidable enemy. Not to mention other fair minded Queensland Rugby League fans like XXXX Cap.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
im sure they will get by without the support of some redcliffe supporters and a few diehard qrl fans.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Dirty Hoe said:
im sure they will get by without the support of some redcliffe supporters and a few diehard qrl fans.

Granted.....But the untapped market in South East Qld is not the 5,000 - 10,000 former Gold Coast supporters but the Bronco haters and disillusioned former league fans. This is not the way to get them on side and interested.

The Gold Coast want to be the little guy taking on the Broncos to tap into that market. Not another company stomping on traditional rugby league fans.

In my opinion anyway......

And until they revealed the name "selected" by those 250 persons, I was right behind them.

DIEHARD

----
Stewbum said:
Dirty Hoe said:

Granted.....But the untapped market in South East Qld is not the 5,000 - 10,000 former Gold Coast supporters but the Bronco haters and disillusioned former league fans. This is not the way to get them on side and interested.

Saves them for a 2nd Brisbane team. 8)

mightybears

Bench
stewbum said:

I dont think these NRL blow-ins understand no-one here is anti Gold Coast for the NRL (Mighty Bears excluded but with good reason! )

==========================================
i've always been pro expansion, and it was tragic that the gc chargers and crushers were killed [i went to crushers game]
i would like to see both coasts admitted asap

and yes if only one team were admitted-i would want the red n black back
[the only sydney team that made the decision to move full time out of sydney-when they were rolling in it/great crowds/5 years straight of finals etc]
but i'm not anti gold coast, I'M JUST PRO NORTHS IN THE NRL

Stewbum said:
XXXX Cap said:

Thanks Cap.

I dont think these NRL blow-ins understand no-one here is anti Gold Coast for the NRL (Mighty Bears excluded but with good reason! ;-) )

But if they think Redcliffe supporters are going to lie down and take the theft of our emblem they are mistaken. You'd think a new franchise would want to make friends not enemies. Well boys, Redcliffe are a formidable enemy. Not to mention other fair minded Queensland Rugby League fans like XXXX Cap.

No it's not.....

Wynnum (already exist in QRL) with Tweed (entering QRL) = same competition

Redcliffe (already exist in QRL) with GC (entering NRL) = different competition

I hope I wasn't included in the NRL blow in group...I was supporting the Easts Tigers well before I started supporting Parramatta. I'm well and truly in touch with what happens in the QRL.

"Theft of your emblem"...what utter crap.

I'm fair minded enough to think that the Gold Coast could have done it differently with all of the emblems on offer but to suggest that the Dolphin is Redcliffes' to "own' makes me less sympathetic to your cause.

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
Belly I'd have to disagree with you on the Tweed and Wynnum situation Tweed have been around for nearly 100 years while the Gold Coast Nrl side is a whole new club starting from scratch.

But it does make for an interesting debate.

Do the new Gold Coast club have access to the Chargers million dollars that was in the bank, I would have thought that money was the Gold Coast Chargers Football Club or the ARL's whoever was running them at the time.

There is an online feed program delivered via Telstra Bigpond called "NRL Deluxe". It is broadcast at 7pm (6pm Qld) on a Tuesday night and then available after 10am from Wednesday onwards by demand.

In short, it is Brad Fittler and David Gallop going head to head over topical issues in the game. Goes for about 2 hours I think

Anyway, on the first run of the show last night, Gallop has basically knocked the GC's entry into the NRL on the head...particularly to do with them sorting out the stadium issues before it would even be considered.

I didn't really get a chance to give it my full concentration as I was putting the kids to bed at the time but here is another thread dedicated to it that has links to the site.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/viewtopic.php?t=52541&highlight=

....my opinion based on Gallops' comments is that it opens the door to the Central Coast if it is based on stadium issues.

Mind you, it still wouldn't prompt a change of name from the the GC consortium if they were knocked back (not that they could promote it in any way by not being in the NRL) but for any Dolphin, be it Redcliffe or Gold Coast, to be included in the NRL is going to take a hell of a lot of cash by the looks of it.

I wish I knew the answer to your question Sgt about those funds held from the Chargers days. I suspect that if any members of the consortium were on past and present boards then they would have to be some form of agreement/release between the GC consortiums (past and present) and the ARL for those to be used by the present consortium....but I could be well wide of the mark on that one.

Sgt Schultz

Juniors
I have been told that the ARL "loaned" that money to Newcastle and that they said it was never the Chargers money. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

mud n blood

Juniors
On the Tweed - Wynnum thing ....

1. They actually started in 1905 as a rah rah club
2. The actual team name was originally just Seagulls, and they were based at Tweed - Tweed Seagulls as such is just what has transpired over time.

And you are right about target markets Stew ....

Latest posts