What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beatie has a plan

Pedge1971

First Grade
I got a BJ there once as well but come on. Great city? What, they do an ok coffee in some dang back alley and that makes a great city? Even the carp hate the creek they built that city on for f**k sake.

Stopped reading when u said u got a bj. Clearly a post full if lies.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Exactly. The Roosters are a prime example.
It is an embarrassment to the code that they are the number 3 team in their area and RL is the 3rd code.

The first thing they need to do (and this should be as easy as ABC) is get their players elocution lessons. It is a complete dereliction of duties over their on the Eastern Suburbs to have what is arguably the dumbest sounding RL team trying to compete with those well spoken gentlemen of the Rugby Union and the AFL.
Is it a bit of a wank? absolutely. But they are wankers on the Eastern Suburbs. Their players need to be able to speak like Daly Cherry Evans not that droll "I dropped out of school in year 3" type language that players like Ferguson, Maloney, Pearce, Cordner speak in.
Nothing would ostracise that population over there more than the way those Roosters players talk. You might not be private school educated but if you want to represent the Eastern Suburbs you should speak like you have been.

Actually they rate 4th. Syd FC own them as well.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I grew up in a housing commission area of Townsville, I now feel Austrocized because I didn’t have the high level schooling to teach me the same vocabulary flair or grasp of Her Majesty’s tongue as T-Goon.

T-Goon, we bow to your superior intellect and vocabulary skills.

He talks proper but cannot talk properly (nods sagely)...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually the problem is just an accounting trick that the Newspapers never challenge.

Clubs spend that $12mil because their revenue actually IS $12mil. When they say they only made $10mil and they are going broke, they are excluding Leagues club grants. The problem with this complaint is that the LC grant will always be there. If they didnt have the money, they wouldnt be spending it.

So what we have is a permanent "deficit" that the clubs are creating ON PURPOSE!!! It does not matter how much you give them, they will always spend that AND the LC grant, then complain about being "broke". Its just an accounting trick to block expansion and take a bit more money from the ARLC.

In theory yes, but problem is either clubs get used to spending that much or literally are reliant on that money to spend competitively. If the pokies start to dry up they are fricked. Dragons, knights, Balmain side of tigers, Penrith few years ago, sharks before selling family jewels, Souths without a Hollywood sugar daddy,etc.
Parra, Bulldogs, Penrith now, knights new etc are massively reliant on pokies keeping them afloat, or at least being able to fund competitive spending shortfall.
As long as leagues club goes ok then no probs but seems there is an emerging fund8ng reduction from most pokie dens.

Ideally the nrl would have a total spend limit that all clubs could achieve with or without pokie funding, say $20million to address this risk but can’t see that happening.

And a French team right?

Wrong. French teams belong in Super League, which is the northern hemisphere's version of the NRL.

You can see two Super League teams compete against each other next weekend when Wigan play Hull FC, and the following weekend watch Leeds play Melbourne in the WCC in Melbourne, while Hull FC play St. George-Illawarra, and Wigan play South Sydney in two friendlies at ANZ..

Exactly. The Roosters are a prime example.
It is an embarrassment to the code that they are the number 3 team in their area and RL is the 3rd code.

The first thing they need to do (and this should be as easy as ABC) is get their players elocution lessons. It is a complete dereliction of duties over their on the Eastern Suburbs to have what is arguably the dumbest sounding RL team trying to compete with those well spoken gentlemen of the Rugby Union and the AFL.
Is it a bit of a wank? absolutely. But they are wankers on the Eastern Suburbs. Their players need to be able to speak like Daly Cherry Evans not that droll "I dropped out of school in year 3" type language that players like Ferguson, Maloney, Pearce, Cordner speak in.
Nothing would ostracise that population over there more than the way those Roosters players talk. You might not be private school educated but if you want to represent the Eastern Suburbs you should speak like you have been.

James Maloney, a Roosters player huh? Maybe back in 2013, 2014 and 2015, but last time I looked he was a Penrith Panthers player after having spent the past 2 seasons at Cronulla. Bit hard to take the above seriously when you cannot even get that most basic of facts correct to start with.

Also elocution lessons do not win you football games. Remind me how well the Waratahs have been doing in Super Rugby again? How well have the Wallabies been going on the field?

T-Boon

Coach
Also elocution lessons do not win you football games. Remind me how well the Waratahs have been doing in Super Rugby again? How well have the Wallabies been going on the field?

Thats true.
But I am saying it would help the image of the game with women (particularly mothers) and corporates and the Eastern Suburbs generally. I think it would increase crowds.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In theory yes, but problem is either clubs get used to spending that much or literally are reliant on that money to spend competitively. If the pokies start to dry up they are fricked. Dragons, knights, Balmain side of tigers, Penrith few years ago, sharks before selling family jewels, Souths without a Hollywood sugar daddy,etc.
Parra, Bulldogs, Penrith now, knights new etc are massively reliant on pokies keeping them afloat, or at least being able to fund competitive spending shortfall.
As long as leagues club goes ok then no probs but seems there is an emerging fund8ng reduction from most pokie dens.

Ideally the nrl would have a total spend limit that all clubs could achieve with or without pokie funding, say $20million to address this risk but can’t see that happening.

It is still them who spends the money. They talk like the costs are out of their control, but in reality every funding increase is just met with a spending increase...

If clubs were actually interested in weening themselves of the LCs, then fair enough. But souths are the only club who have actually cut the cord. Everyone else just keeps spending the LC grant and bitching about this fictional deficit.

This "football department cap" might be the cleverest thing the ARLC has done, not because it will limit spending, but because the ARLC will just say they are not responsible for any funding above that cap. I think the cap is just an accounting trick to match the Clubs accounting trick...

It is still them who spends the money. They talk like the costs are out of their control, but in reality every funding increase is just met with a spending increase...

If clubs were actually interested in weening themselves of the LCs, then fair enough. But souths are the only club who have actually cut the cord. Everyone else just keeps spending the LC grant and bitching about this fictional deficit.

This "football department cap" might be the cleverest thing the ARLC has done, not because it will limit spending, but because the ARLC will just say they are not responsible for any funding above that cap. I think the cap is just an accounting trick to match the Clubs accounting trick...

Souths "cut the cord" was more forced on them by circumstance. Firstly, their Leagues Club was not a big revenue generator to start with due to its location. Secondly, it went bust in 1972, and only managed to re-open its door s due to the work of people like Don Lane who did plenty of benefits for them to help the leagues club get back on its financial feet. However it was not a help to the football club financially. The financial powerhouse has always been Souths Juniors Leagues Club, who still tip in quite a bit of funding to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Perth Red

Post Whore

totally agree and its massive furphy by the clubs to say they are losing $Xmillions which in effect is LC funding that they could have chosen not to spend. I guess its hard when you have Brisbane and Melbourne etc spending $30-40mill and your Parra or Penrith and only earning $20mill so get the LC to tip in $5mill to help out.

Does need calling out though by NRL and media need to stop reporting it as losses when in effect it is just a different revenue stream for an NRL club. It only becomes an issue as I said if the LC funding dries up and the club isn't generating enough revenue elsewhere to spend competitively.

Effectively with a $10mill salary cap and a $6mill football cap there should be no club not able to break even and be competitive with the others. In an ideal and fair world that is lol. At the moment most clubs sail very close to the wind and one lost sponsor or poor crowds can see them $1mill in the red very quickly.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
A bit off topic but the Nrl should try and have the premiership winning team travel to prime ministers house for a party. Like the nfl. Would help get our foot in the door with federal politians. Doing this would help on number of levels.

siv

First Grade
Actually the problem is just an accounting trick that the Newspapers never challenge.

Clubs spend that $12mil because their revenue actually IS $12mil. When they say they only made $10mil and they are going broke, they are excluding Leagues club grants. The problem with this complaint is that the LC grant will always be there. If they didnt have the money, they wouldnt be spending it.

So what we have is a permanent "deficit" that the clubs are creating ON PURPOSE!!! It does not matter how much you give them, they will always spend that AND the LC grant, then complain about being "broke". Its just an accounting trick to block expansion and take a bit more money from the ARLC.

Its a tax avoidance accounting trick

You pay tax on profits only

So if you only break even - guess what no tax

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Its a tax avoidance accounting trick

You pay tax on profits only

So if you only break even - guess what no tax

You can still get away as a company paying zero tax if you make a profit. Due to the fact that clubs have made losses for 99% of there life they can bring those losses forward and still avoid tax. Most could do it even if they made a $20mil profit. A lot of it depends on there ownership/financial structure though.

El Diablo

Post Whore
A bit off topic but the Nrl should try and have the premiership winning team travel to prime ministers house for a party. Like the nfl. Would help get our foot in the door with federal politians. Doing this would help on number of levels.
the PM is more interested in flogball and has nfi about Rugby League

f**k him