What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

James Boags Wizard Smith's Ale. Wasn't expecting a lot, so I was pleasantly surprised that a mass production beer could have flavour. Finishes a bit quick, but a nice drop.

Bazal

Post Whore
James Boags Wizard Smith's Ale. Wasn't expecting a lot, so I was pleasantly surprised that a mass production beer could have flavour. Finishes a bit quick, but a nice drop.

I'm drinking it too! They claim it's the first time it's been available on the mainland, but I definitely got some at Dans about 12 years ago and liked it. Also I didn't see it anywhere in Tasmania, oddly. But I was drinking metric tonnes of pinot so that may be explained by a blind spot in some grog shops.

It's not as good as I remember, probably my tastes have changed, but the case is depleting quickly so it's still a nice beer.

Wayward Brewing Co "Charmer" India Red Ale. As an ale it's a good drink. As a red ale though, not so much.

I find that those craft breweries that do red ales are worried that their beer is going to taste like Tooheys Red, so as a result they move far away from the taste of a red beer should be. The result is that you end up with a big gap in the flavour profile.

Greene King "London Glory" British Pub Ale. Decent enough drink, but tastes like someone said out aloud "let's mix British bitter with European lager" and Chinese whispers got around a few laps before the brewing process began.

Moa Oak Aged Imperial Stout. 100+ IBU, 10.2% ABV, and aged in French Oak.

Looks almost as thick as Vegemite, and almost as thick + savoury to boot. Doesn't taste as bitter as the mash bill says, but I cannot taste the oak either. Tasty stout, but no rush to buy a 2nd bottle (though it does say it will benefit from cellaring, and I'm a sucker for marketing...)

Bazal

Post Whore
Fat Yak is way better than Spearhead IMO. Spearhead is a 150 Lashes clone. The cricketers arms IPA is a winner though. And I've been drinking the Yenda IPA lately, that's a good every day beer

_Johnsy

Referee
Yeah, they are both brilliant mass produced beers.

Much better than alternatives like Fat Yak and 150 lashes which are pretty ordinary imo.
Fat yak has changed significantly. From memory a "major" brewer bought them out & I am sure the recipe has changed. How can a great beer go to a so so version of it's former self is beyond me. Disappointing.

Bazal

Post Whore
Matilda Bay has been owned by CUB since 1988 and the basic recipe for Fat Yak definitely hasn't changed recently tbh. They may have dropped the alcohol content a little but, I thought it used to be 5% or so and now it's 4.7

Latest posts