What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
I found, stuck in the back of my wine fridge for some reason, a pint of Little Creatures Mr Obadiah porter. Over 2 years out of date, but I wasn't gonna chuck it without tasting it.....man, it hasn't gone off! Absolutely wicked. Almost tastes like a good quality chocolate topping lol, with a bit of slightly burnt coffee in the back.

InFlames

Juniors
Why is it that the cheapest beer in Australia seems to be imported beer from Germany, Holland etc?

Serious question as would love to know a bit more about why this is.

Bazal

Post Whore
Why is it that the cheapest beer in Australia seems to be imported beer from Germany, Holland etc?

Usually because Coles or Woolworths import it themselves, rather than being beholden to what CUB or Tooheys are charging for beer. When you import 500 containers of the stuff you can get it for peanuts from the producer....

Leigh Howlett

Juniors

I Demand a Parliamentary inquiry about this, was in Uncle Dan's this arvo and they had a taste testing for ARC Valley beer, very cheap & very nasty but if you want a sub $30.00 slab then this will tickle your fancy.

Bazal

Post Whore
I Demand a Parliamentary inquiry about this, was in Uncle Dan's this arvo and they had a taste testing for ARC Valley beer, very cheap & very nasty but if you want a sub $30.00 slab then this will tickle your fancy.

No need for a parliamentary enquiry, just ask fking Tooheys and Carlton why cost price for local piss is so damn high.

Cost price on a 30 pack of VB is comfortably over $50 these days.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

the laws of supply and demand state that when there is an oversupply of a product and there is insufficent demand from a consumer level for said product, the price will drop.

given the bavarian region is one of the world's largest producers of beer, and the global market trend is for a more local, authentic craft style beer..

well..

i'll leave you with the chalkboard and the piece of chalk..

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Whilst Tooheys are no doubt shit beers for the most part, it's untrue to say that they are chemical fizz. They are the only mass produced Aussie beers that are preservative free and made with proper natural ingredients.
This.

Some of them are actually very well brewed also. Take the beer snob hat off for a moment (mine is almost always on) and you'll see why XXXX Gold is so incredibly popular - it's a very well made beer. There certainly is a place for these beers in the market and to compare them to the wildly flavourful and creative beers coming out of the craft sector right now is unfair.

Bazal

Post Whore
This.

Some of them are actually very well brewed also. Take the beer snob hat off for a moment (mine is almost always on) and you'll see why XXXX Gold is so incredibly popular - it's a very well made beer. There certainly is a place for these beers in the market and to compare them to the wildly flavourful and creative beers coming out of the craft sector right now is unfair.

Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with XXXX Gold. It delivers exactly what a lot of pub drinkers want; it's dry, easy to drink, low carb and mid strength so you can have three or four over an arvo sessions and still drive home.

My go to beer when I'm out for a night lately is Great Northern for the same reason. Although I don't drive home because I'll generally have a few craft types in there as well. But the Great Northern doesn't give me a wicked hangover, which now that I'm over thirty can be a real issue lol

Haffa

Spent the last 3 weeks drinking almost exclusively London Pride.

I did the Fullers Brewery tour while in London 2 weeks ago. I was surprised to learn all their beer is brewed on site at Chiswick. They don't licence out their brewing at all, so every Fullers beer you get in Oz was brewed back in London. The tasting at the end was more of a session. The Guide was pouring full pints. Recommend it to anyone.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
i did.. it was fantastic..

tasted just like a milkshake.

only downside was that suddenly all the boys came to my yard.
Apparently only 1 keg will be making it's way to QLD - I'll just about travel anywhere to get a taste of it.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Bacchus have probably already put out that flavour. Ross does about 100 different beers a year.

Yep, I've had a few of Ross' wild and wonderful flavours. One reputable source indicated however that this Pirate Life brew was the best GABS beer he has ever tasted...