What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Cousins - Sharks

From Fox sports website today.

Sharks had been tossing up for several weeks whether they should offer Cousins a second chance if he was suspended by the AFL Commission.

Full story below, i know its a slow day, so we didnt get Mason at least we can laugh at this.

Cousins can still play in 2008

By Daryl Timms
November 20, 2007 BEN Cousins may be banned from the AFL next year, but he is free to play in any other football competition in the country.
His original West Australian club, East Fremantle, is already considering whether to offer him a lifeline to play in the WAFL.
East Fremantle club president David Miller said the Sharks had been tossing up for several weeks whether they should offer Cousins a second chance if he was suspended by the AFL Commission.
He said if Cousins was well enough and playing was part of his rehabilitation, the club would look at giving him another chance if he asked to play.
"We haven't discussed it (yesterday's AFL ban) as a club and although it hasn't taken us by surprise, we haven't had a lot of time to think about it," Miller said.
"But we will be talking about it at our next board meeting, which is in a week's time. So we would leave it until then. He is our player through the AFL and the WAFL, but we will wait and see what happens because there is still a lot of water to go under the bridge."
East Fremantle recently appointed former Melbourne and Collingwood player Shane Woewodin as its coach for the next two years.
Woewodin, who won the 2000 Brownlow Medal while playing for Melbourne, returned home to Western Australia after retiring from the Magpies at the end of the 2004.
If Cousins decides to play again, it would make him Australia's most sought-after footballer.
He would be a financial bonanza for any club as a massive drawcard, including in the VFL.
Other clubs around Australia - in every state and territory - are expected to queue up for Cousins's services if he decides he wants to maintain his fitness and play.
"The club still believes it to be the case and we hope Ben can do that and successfully fight this problem," the Eagles said.

Although the AFL handed down a one-season suspension after it found Cousins guilty of bringing the league into disrepute, it cannot prevent him from playing football altogether.

Because the AFL Commission and not the AFL Tribunal handed down the suspension, he is eligible to play in any lesser league.

The AFL said last night it did not see Cousins's eligibility to continue playing next season as a loophole in its rules, but believed it gave him the option of staying fit and hopefully "clean" as he continued his drug rehabilitation program.

He will continue to be monitored by the AFL's medical experts next season and is expected to be subjected to drug testing.

They will advise the commission on whether there has been a relapse by Cousins, the likelihood of any such relapse, and whether the lifting of the suspension in 12 months' time is in the player's and/or the AFL's best interests.

Despite suggestions Cousins would be better off out of Western Australia as he rehabilitates himself against his self-confessed drug addiction, WA football commentator and former Eagle Adrian Barich said support for Cousins in Perth remained high.

But Barich said there were people who questioned whether the AFL commissioners were hypocrites given the behaviour of at least one Melbourne-based club.

"They are saying what about the other club that is having similar problems?" Barich said.

"Have they been bringing the game into disrepute again?"

Barich said a lot of people agreed it was correct to "smash" Cousins but asked whether other clubs would also be pulled into line.

"They are saying there are some who aren't far away from where he is," he said.

"There are certainly not many people arguing that he hasn't been out of line."

Barich said others in Perth had questioned whether it was wise to take employment away from a recovering drug addict.

"People hope that this doesn't push him over the edge," he said. "He just can't be cut loose."

While the AFL's issues with Cousins have been dealt with, Los Angeles police may still lay charges over his alleged cocaine binge in California.

The LA Police Department delayed the release of its findings until Tuesday.

Inferno

Coach
Oh well, after we missed out on Mason, I suppose it was only a matter of time before we went after another high profile player.

east fremanlte sharks.........

anyway, wouldnt be a bad idea.

best position would be fullback or 5/8. he is fast and can run all day. also has a mean boot and can leap and catch better than most in the nrl. tackles better than most in the afl and could learn. may have a problem with a sleeved jersey.

emetic

Juniors
Russell Crowe's Band said:
east fremanlte sharks.........

anyway, wouldnt be a bad idea.

best position would be fullback or 5/8. he is fast and can run all day. also has a mean boot and can leap and catch better than most in the nrl. tackles better than most in the afl and could learn. may have a problem with a sleeved jersey.

wouldnt have trouble finding the white line either

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Cousins was on the gold coast last weekend so it was interesting to see the muck rakers accuse him of being a toolie. Could be worth seeking legal advice.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I caught the start of golden tonsils john laws show this morning and he was giving it to cousins for having the audacity to be on the gold coast during schoolies (this being concrete evidence he is a pedophile or something) so I sent him an email challenging him to produce the goods.

Quigs

Immortal
The Golden Hypocrite is one Mr Laws.

I wont listen to him. I am an ABC man meself.

The last time I was forced to listen to him he was going on about some Council bloke in a Syd-a-ney Council driving a flash new big council car. Now I don't know any of the details about that bloke and the story but the first thing I thought of was

How many cars do you own creep. I remember reading he owned dozens and dozens of cars. Big mothers too.

What car did you get driven to work in today...

Nah the guy is a hypocrite.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Quigs said:
The Golden Hypocrite is one Mr Laws.

I wont listen to him. I am an ABC man meself.

The last time I was forced to listen to him he was going on about some Council bloke in a Syd-a-ney Council driving a flash new big council car. Now I don't know any of the details about that bloke and the story but the first thing I thought of was

How many cars do you own creep. I remember reading he owned dozens and dozens of cars. Big mothers too.

What car did you get driven to work in today...

Nah the guy is a hypocrite.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs
I agree Quigs. I usually listen to Mike Charlton in the morning and GT takes over and I automatically switch to JJJ but still catch some of his rants. This one took my attention. He has no proof whatsoever Cousins was on the GC to chat up schoolies. He also drew attention to an ACA video you can watch on their website. GT reckons it shows Cousins snorting coke or something. I'd like to see him use it in a defamation case as clear evidence he is still using. Worth a mil or two?

Inferno

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
Cousins was on the gold coast last weekend so it was interesting to see the muck rakers accuse him of being a toolie. Could be worth seeking legal advice.

The term "toolie" sh*ts me off to be honest. We live up here and are the mainstays of the clubs in surfers for 12 months out of the year, but the 3 weeks where the school leavers come up we are reduced to being called "toolies"

Wish those schoolies would f**k off and find somewhere else to party.

Eelectrica

Referee
Inferno said:
The term "toolie" sh*ts me off to be honest. We live up here and are the mainstays of the clubs in surfers for 12 months out of the year, but the 3 weeks where the school leavers come up we are reduced to being called "toolies"

Wish those schoolies would f**k off and find somewhere else to party.

I only clicked on this thread because the title caught my eye, which I guess was the point. Now I've got no use for Ben Cousins, but I agree with you on the completly 'toolie' thing.

These underage ex-school kids have no business getting drunk in surfers and whinging because actual adults are also in surfers. If they're over the legel age, then far enough, they can do whatever the hell they want as adults.