What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Nice Beaver

First Grade
That one struck a nerve did it?

Remind me again how much Myles is on, 400k or is it 500k? lol not to mention the strength and conditioning bloke you guys brought from the Titans.

I like you though beaver, you're alright.

Hahaha struck no nerve at all.

$500k he's on.

In a salary cap of $10 million next season I'm not too concerned having to carry that nuffy.

And the S&C bloke doesn't take too much out of the cap ;)

Charlie124

First Grade
Disappointed to see him go, especially after he dropped the ball in our last grand final which resulted in the Cowboys winning the game but footy is a business these days as we know, he would be a fool to say no, 6 years though.. not a fan of lucrative contracts over a prolonged period, he could shit the bed after 2 years and then what?

Oh god... keep talking, im almost there..

some11

Referee
Oh god... keep talking, im almost there..
6ADLV4r.gif

FINISH HIM!

KLpeVqL.jpg

From the Daily Telegraph's website -

Brisbane Broncos halfback Ben Hunt is set to join St George Illawarra Dragons
bf9e8761fa4d8c7486547b24df68cbea

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
January 20, 2017 2:20pm

THE Broncos have lost the battle to keep Ben Hunt, with the Dragons trumping Brisbane with a massive $6 million deal for five years, with a one-year option.

Brisbane simply could not match the Dragons deal, and Hunt reportedly told the Broncos on Friday he would be heading to Sydney at the end of the season.

With a galaxy of stars to appease under the salary cap, the Broncos’ hands were tied in a bidding war against St George Illawarra, who are desperate to attract some high-profile playing talent after a couple of poor seasons.

Representative players Josh Dugan and Tyson Frizell are the Dragons’ two highest-profile players, and coach Paul McGregor had been banking on young halfback Drew Hutchison to lead a revival this season by joining Gareth Widdop in the halves.

But Hutchison tore his ACL in pre-season training, ruling him out for the year, leaving the Dragons light on for play-makers after Benji Marshall departed for the Broncos this season.

Hunt will not arrive in time to rescue their 2017, but Dragons officials believe he is the man to build the club’s future around and were prepared to pay him as their marquee star.

Brisbane simply could afford to do that, with big-name stars Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Corey Oates and Adam Blair all free agents at the end of the year.

The Broncos see Milford as their main man after two stellar seasons as the club’s five-eighth, and his terrific form will demand a pay upgrade to keep potential poachers at bay.

Hunt’s imminent departure will place enormous pressure on Brisbane’s depth in the halves, and potentially put them on course for a tug of war with the Gold Coast over the Titans’ pair of young halves, Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey.

Taylor was released early from his Broncos contract at the end of 2015 so he could chase an NRL opportunity with the Titans — ironically because Hunt and Milford stood in his way at Brisbane.

An injury to Elgey meant Taylor had to be thrown into the spotlight last season, and he excelled — winning the Dally M Rookie of the Year award and leading Gold Coast to their first finals appearance since 2010. Taylor extended his contract late last season, tying him to the Titans until the end of 2018.

Although he missed all of last season, Elgey had a similar breakthrough year in 2015, and the Titans held off a poaching bid from Manly to keep him at Robina until the end of 2018.

That leaves Brisbane with the prospect of going into 2018 without a recognised halfback to partner Milford.

Hunt was honest about his future at Brisbane before Christmas, saying he would test his value on the open market. He also admitted he was in no rush to sign a new deal with the Broncos as he confronts the most important contract of his career.

“You have to look around,” Hunt said. “I have to make the best decision for myself and my family.

“I love the club and the Broncos have been really good to me. If this is where I am in the future, then that’s it, but I’m going to take my time this time and make the best decision for my family.”

So it's not official yet (as not announced by Hunt, the Dragons nor the Bronvcos) but looking very likely for the Dragons

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I'm yet to see the calls of how utterly stupid it is to tie up over $1 million of the cap on a player for 5+ years like we had on here less than 2 years ago......

davi

Juniors
Taylor will go back home to Brisbane or even any other club instead of the Titans if he wants a rep career.

Can't blame the kid.

Also Tyrone Roberts has been linked to Bennett in the rumour mill, along with Benji signing it looks to be yet another master play by Wayne.

Ash Taylor contract does not run out with the Titans for another two seasons. I just can't see the Broncs waiting around two seasons clearing space for a signing that might not even happen. Broncos might have moved on by then and filled the spot with somebody else.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Ash Taylor contract does not run out with the Titans for another two seasons. I just can't see the Broncs waiting around two seasons clearing space for a signing that might not even happen. Broncos might have moved on by then and filled the spot with somebody else.

What will their options be?

Do they move Milford to 7 and find a 6?

Struggling to think of any 7's off contract end of 2017........besides Mitchell Pearce. And the thought of him going to Brisbane is just too much for my excitement levels to even contemplate!

Last edited:

Ray McKigney

Juniors

Yeah because contracts mean a thing these days, just ask Korbin,

Like I've said if not Taylor, the broncos will go after Tyrone Roberts, Elgey or try Benji.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Ash Taylor contract does not run out with the Titans for another two seasons. I just can't see the Broncs waiting around two seasons clearing space for a signing that might not even happen.

When has that ever stopped the Broncs? Maybe he has a sick dad they can exploit?

butchmcdick

Immortal

JT will be retiring about then.....

davi

Juniors
Yeah because contracts mean a thing these days, just ask Korbin,

Like I've said if not Taylor, the broncos will go after Tyrone Roberts, Elgey or try Benji.

The difference is Ash Taylor is more valuable to the Titans then Korbin Sims is to the Knights. Newcastle also said to Sims they were happy to grant a release providing they didn't have to top up the difference with Sims contract at the Broncos.

Titans have never said that to Ash Taylor so your comparison is completely flawed.

Ray McKigney

Juniors
True but I'm not making a comparison. I'm saying don't be surprised to see the Broncos try to bring home their prodigal son. They had a high opinion of him and were disappointed to let him go. If he enjoys his time at the Titans then I don't see him returning but should they ever have low times or cap trouble the Broncos will get him back unless they sign a top shelf half to replace hunt.

isaiah

Bench
We haven't had a genuine halfback since Goldthorpe. I look forward to watching Hunt's ability decline under Supercoach McGregor.
He has already endured a coach who had no idea and tried to turn him into a 9 while Peter Wallace played in the halves. Henjak

Maroon4life

Juniors
What will their options be?

Do they move Milford to 7 and find a 6?

Struggling to think of any 7's off contract end of 2017........besides Mitchell Pearce. And the thought of him going to Brisbane is just too much for my excitement levels to even contemplate!

You'd have to think the Broncos will try and coax Taylor back from the Titans for 2018, seems like the most logical thing.