What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
While Hunt is a good halfback, he is still well below the echelon of Thurston, Cronk and DCE. For this reason alone, Saints paid massive "overs" commensurate to his actual ability.

This is what you get for having Paul McGregor as 'coach'. It is clear many players are reticent to play under his tutelage unless they receive a hell of a lot money which other clubs won't pay.

And, I wish Widdop's detractors would give it a rest. Granted his recent performances have been terribly substandard but Hunt's arrival will help.

The Dragons just need a new, experienced coach in order to improve what is a template of a pretty good side.

mxlegend99

Referee
Have a look at Hunts highlights on YouTube. He is a gun. The Fake media out there is being overly harsh. He played ok tonight and still better than any halve we have had in 6 years!
He was terrific in 2014 and 2015.

He has been a shadow of that player since. He was the worst half on the field last night by a considerable margin. No vision in controlling a game. He still makes mistakes under pressure and he has no idea how to execute the necessary kick.

He has a terrific running game and knows how to use support players. But as the guy running a team he needs more than that.

Im not a Dragons fan obviously. But I think you guys will end up seeing him the same way you do Widdop. Take him out of a gun team and his flaws will be more obvious. The areas he excels in won't be to the same level.

moes

Bench
While Hunt is a good halfback, he is still well below the echelon of Thurston, Cronk and DCE. For this reason alone, Saints paid massive "overs" commensurate to his actual ability.

This is what you get for having Paul McGregor as 'coach'. It is clear many players are reticent to play under his tutelage unless they receive a hell of a lot money which other clubs won't pay.

And, I wish Widdop's detractors would give it a rest. Granted his recent performances have been terribly substandard but Hunt's arrival will help.

The Dragons just need a new, experienced coach in order to improve what is a template of a pretty good side.

Widdop has probably had one or 2 decent games over the past 3 years. If Indeed he stays on for 2018 and Hunt does help his game as you suggest, then hunt would be worth every cent; because you get a better halfback option than we have today, and our big name recruit from a few years ago (Widdop) actually starts to earn his exorbitant wages we're paying him. You end up with 2 better players at half than we have today. Could only be a good thing I'd imagine.

Any way, all irrelevant under Mary as you've rightly pointed out

BennyV

Referee
He was terrific in 2014 and 2015.

He has been a shadow of that player since. He was the worst half on the field last night by a considerable margin. No vision in controlling a game. He still makes mistakes under pressure and he has no idea how to execute the necessary kick.

He has a terrific running game and knows how to use support players. But as the guy running a team he needs more than that.

Im not a Dragons fan obviously. But I think you guys will end up seeing him the same way you do Widdop. Take him out of a gun team and his flaws will be more obvious. The areas he excels in won't be to the same level.
For a guy who was a shadow of 2014/15, he still managed to come in second in try assists and fairly high up in line break assists.

mxlegend99

Referee
For a guy who was a shadow of 2014/15, he still managed to come in second in try assists and fairly high up in line break assists.
His stats might look good on paper. But you watch how he plays and those stats are boosted by freakish players around him.

For me comes up short in most of the same areas Widdop does. No vision or purpse to his kicks. Doesnt seem to have the ability to close out a game effectively. Not suited to grinding games. But can be damaging when his team is on top.

I think he would be better suited to a ball running 5/8th running off a smart no frills organiser. Let him focus on his strengths. But I doubt Dragons bought him to do that.

I hope he proves to be a good buy and kicks on at all levels except Origin. Would be great to rub it into Broncos fans. But I see them replacing him easily and him being a solid buy at best. An odd brilliant game against shit clubs. But not the match winner you need in close ones.

Last edited:

Red V for life

Juniors
Honestly, I wasn't overly impressed with Hunt last night and on more than one occasion, I thought he'd fit in well with us this year.

Having said that, i think he could've been guilty of trying a little too hard given the play his contract with the Dragons has got.

Did anyone see the pre-game show? I thought Corey Parker discreetly put the boot into Hunt. He was going on about Hunt needing to do more off the field...doing extra to get himself right on and off the field.

BennyV

Referee
His stats might look good on paper. But you watch how he plays and those stats are boosted by freakish players around him.

For me comes up short in most of the same areas Widdop does. No vision or purpse to his kicks. Doesnt seem to have the ability to close out a game effectively. Mot siited to grinding games. But can be damaging when his team is on top.

I think he would be better suited to a ball running 5/8th running off a smart no frills organiser. Let him focus on his strengths. But I doubt Dragons bought him to do that.

I hope he proves to be a good buy and kicks on at all levels except Origin. Would be great to rub it into Broncos fans. But I see them replacing him easily and him being a solid buy at best. An odd brilliant game against shit clubs. But not the match winner you need in close ones.
The biggest similarity to Widdop seems to be his confidence. He's lacking the swagger he showed in 2014-15, you can see it in his movements as soon as he gets the ball. If McGregor is still coach next year (and it's scary how likely that is) then he will become the biggest flop in the games history. However, if we have a coach with half a brain then the change will do him good, away from Bennett as much as anything.

Sure, the price is high and the deal is risky, but that's what we needed to bring an actual halfback to the club.

OzDragon

Coach
Brisbane asswipes and their media pals are a spiteful bunch. I will happily welcome him here this year if they dont like him.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Brisbane asswipes and their media pals are a spiteful bunch. I will happily welcome him here this year if they dont like him.
Honestly, I wasn't overly impressed with Hunt last night and on more than one occasion, I thought he'd fit in well with us this year.

Having said that, i think he could've been guilty of trying a little too hard given the play his contract with the Dragons has got.

Did anyone see the pre-game show? I thought Corey Parker discreetly put the boot into Hunt. He was going on about Hunt needing to do more off the field...doing extra to get himself right on and off the field.

I have a cousin in Brisbane who lives next door to Corey Parker, and he reckons at an end of season do, Ben Hunt crashed Corey Parkers quad bike. No wonder Corey doesnt like him.

blaza88z

Coach

This "try assist" stat is considerably flawed when you've got probably the most elusive 5/8 playing outside of you, same goes for line break assists.

As has been said, his kicking game is one of the worst going around for a half, we basically only played with half last night, Ben Hunt wasn't even on the field.

possm

Coach
Doust and the Board believe they have saved the Club hundreds of thousands of dollars by employing Mary and his assistants however, when one looks at the overs the Club has to pay for players and the loss of gate takings, merchandise sales and fan enthusiasm, it is easy to see how costly this decision has been to the Club.

Only when a new top grade coach is announced will the Dragons truly have an opportunity to turn things around.

SBD82

Coach
Comparing Hunt to Andrew Johns is laughable.

I think we are at risk of seeing in Hunt what we need him to be, rather than what he actually is.

possm

Coach
With the salary cap tipped to go to 10m in 2018, it would not be so silly to see most Club's spine costing 4m-5m p/a. Currently our spine is no where near that cost.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I have a cousin in Brisbane who lives next door to Corey Parker, and he reckons at an end of season do, Ben Hunt crashed Corey Parkers quad bike. No wonder Corey doesnt like him.

Not sure if there's any truth to that, but I did notice Corey was quite snipey when asked about Ben Hunt's move to the Dragons. Just little comments like "I was surpised at the amount of money" etc.

possm

Coach
Not sure if there's any truth to that, but I did notice Corey was quite snipey when asked about Ben Hunt's move to the Dragons. Just little comments like "I was surpised at the amount of money" etc.
Maybe Corey played for a lot less than he is worth.

With JD going to Brisbane, maybe Wayne is planning to move to Wollongong with his new girlfriend!

Lethal25

Juniors
I think there could be some sour grapes when others get paid more than what you did. Look at Tommy Raudonikis saying he's already counting his money and will end up in reserve grade. Jealous much Tommy? Hunt's not a reserve grader, the guy would have worked his ass off to get to where he is and for me it's unlikely he'll be thinking about next season.

Mind you I do hope we see some improvement from what was dished up last night, passing and kicking game were a little off.

twinkletoes

Juniors

Sour grapes from Parker because he was paid an absolute pittance to stay at the Broncos and I'm talking in the $300K mark...

possm

Coach
Sour grapes from Parker because he was paid an absolute pittance to stay at the Broncos and I'm talking in the $300K mark...
So just imagine how Parker feels when he sees Hunt on 1m and now Boyd being offered around the same by the Broncos.