What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross is a hand break to Sharks recruitment.

tye

Juniors
By how much are you overpaid Tye? Seriously. 10%? 20% ? 30%? Do your colleagues always say that about you?

No pal, no colleagues just employees!
Do you really think he is worth $400+? Honestly? 200 yes 400 no!

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
No pal, no colleagues just employees!
Do you really think he is worth $400+? Honestly? 200 yes 400 no!

I think he can be a +65 minute front rower & still have an impact & play the quality of petero & Price. he just doesnt get that opportunity due to our structure.

Does he bring people through the gates? no. So no marketing power to speak of as such like Gal or Bird.

Did he give our club credibility when we were in the market? yes he did. perhaps he is the reason we signed Pom, kearney, Tupou & resigned Gal & Bird.

Value is what the market thinks he is worth & what he gets paid.

In the wash up, he has a role & specific game plan. Does he do that well? I reckon he does it extremely well.

We have been up against some weakened packs of forwards recently and Ben Ross has been ok. But for $400,000 I want more than ok. Newcastle virtually had third string props when we played them the Dragons had Ryles out and Poore was probably the standout prop last Saturday before he twisted his knee in the secondhalf.

Those two games were perfect for him to rip and tear and leave a mark on the game. But he didn't. He went ok.

Against the Broncos Ross was very tame. It makes sense because Thaiday & Hannant are way better than him. In playing minutes, impact, mobility, offloading, tackling and line breaking ability. And to top it off they play for their Club at around half of Ross's wage.

For $400,000 I'd expect Les Davidson charges at the line or a Danny Lee work rate. Great leaders of past Sharks forward packs.

Ross definately doesn't have that presence.

We get 39mins of ok football and a buggered salary cap.

Inferno

Coach
I share a lot of your thoughts, although I think it's a little unfair to judge players based on their paypacket, given there are a lot of factors other than simply playing ability that contribute to it including marketability, time they are off market, and also the club position at the time of the signing.

For us we needed a front rower after losing Stevo, we had the money and Ross was really the only decent prop off contract at the time with both Souths and Melbourne after him. I still think he is moving towards his best footy and we will really see the best of him in the finals when he is able to unleash the aggro.

Latest posts