What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bench 2018

MrDragon007

Juniors
With the expected arrival of James Graham in 2018, one would expect he will slot into the starting front row alongside Vaughan.
That gives us Simms and AhMau on the bench, which other two players round out the bench?
One spot could go to Mann, although i believe he should be in the starting 13. If he is in the run on side, who rounds out the bench?
We have, Sele, Lawrie, Host, Kerr (had a good year in reserves), and Leilua (should have a big off season after all the hoop-la around his re-signing and not seeing first grade all year).
We seem to have good depth up front next year, i know there not all top notch first grade standard, but they are able to hold there own in first grade (with the exception of Kerr who hasnt played first grade yet).
And keep in mind we still have 3 spots (correct me if im wrong) to fill out the top 30, another big name or 2 could land in our laps?
Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

dannyt

Coach
Exactly.
He stuffed conditioning & fitness in the past & got punted. Struggled with recruitment, that was taken away, needed help with coaching Hornby & Young are brought in. Can't manage the bench, so maybe he needs to be relieved of this responsibility as well.
Maybe we can get rid of him by using the "death by a thousand cuts" technique.

Slowly take away the traditional coaching roles (recruitment, game plan, player selection, defence, attack, bench, game management), then he just sit there and fist pump, or throw pencils.

dannyt

Coach
Better still, take these responsibilities away, give him a jersey and tell him to stand with the army. '

He might be OK at following chants. He's got be good at something, other than painting the gym, or being the first one in and last to leave.

Life's Good

Coach
Maybe we can get rid of him by using the "death by a thousand cuts" technique.

Slowly take away the traditional coaching roles (recruitment, game plan, player selection, defence, attack, bench, game management), then he just sit there and fist pump, or throw pencils.

Not sure about you but I am seeing an alarming trend of most threads becoming about concerns related to our coach. I wonder why that is??

Dragonslayer

First Grade
About time the NRL introduced this. I mean our power forwards need that break, I just wonder how it would be managed. :rolleyes:
I'm sure our super coach will be right on top of it..........I mean literally on top of it!
Now who to put there? It gets pretty cold some games so we definitely need a body or two to keep it warm, don't want our players catching the flu like this year.
Anyway I sure McGregor will be studying up on this during the off-season.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Now for the serious answer:
Graham and Vaughan being the likely starting props with Thompson and Friz in the 2nd row and JDB at lock and McInnes at dummy half, the big question for me is Aitken, Mann and Nightingale.
Aitken is a fine young and talented player who has defensive issues as a centre, add to that now he has both leg and shoulder problems, is where to fit him into the squad.
Mann has to be in the 17, but where?
Nighty is becoming like that uncle who just won't leave the party.
This to me is the biggest headache with the bench as 3 doesn't go into 2, so 1 either is on the bench or dropped to NSW Cup. I don't know if all 3 deserve to be even considered as Cup players, however, it has to be what's best for the team.
IMO, Aitken has to be given the BOTD and kept at centre for now. Mann should be on the wing, so that leaves what to do with Nighty? Does he become the #17? but what value would that add?
Anyway, back to the bench. LAM and Sims are 2 definite starters with Host and Sele the other. Now,do we need a back-up hooker or a X-factor impact player? If an X-Factor that would be Field, but what benefit would 10 mins a week do for him, probably nothing other than catch a cold and become very match unfit. Could Nighty play at hooker if needed for 10-13 mins while McInnes gets that break I think he needs?
I think 3 spots are pretty sorted its just the last one which will be hotly debated.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Agree dragon , i just posted on another thread field as utility so we can give mcinness a break and move hunt to hooker and bring field into the halves. makesa good attack against tiring forwards
Yes like the idea hunt to hooker field to half for a while late don't know that supercoach would go for it but it's out there.

denis preston

First Grade
Hard to make a call now but will depend on what stage of body development our young 5 or 6 players vying for NRL time are in 7 months time. If it was the contested scrum era Sele would be an option but back row only for mine. Big year for Host , he will only be stronger next year ( perhaps pace an issue ) . Lulia has to be encouraged and would be ideal coming off the bench for attacking spark. Same for Kerr & Lawrie.

The problem is a conservative coach who hasn't shown any flair for positive selections. The McCrone, Nightingale & McDonald " job for life " mentality drove me insane this season. We will have a good squad next year for a top 4 finish but if we have any chance to be a contender 2 or 3 of these young players have to have breakout years , and that's hard to do from reserve grade.

Dragsters

First Grade
I would like to see...

Ah Mau
Sims
Leilua
Host

I reckon we would benefit from a 4 forward bench.

Not having one this season, largely playing with 16, was a big reason we faded in and out of way too many games and lost a lot of close ones we should have won...

Latest posts