What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bench & use of interchanges

Frenzy.

Immortal
OK. So this one is not about the individuals. It's about the use of interchanges by Flanno

What do the vox populi here say about this

Round 1 - 9 interchanges used
Round 2 - 9 interchanges used
Round 3 - 9 interchanges used
Round 4 - 10 interchanges used
Round 5 - 9 interchanges used
Round 6 - 8 interchanges used
Round 7 - 7 interchanges used

Theories for the reduction? Coincide with the weather cooling? Coaching/Conditioning staff looking for more stamina by using people for longer bursts?

shaggs

Coach
I'm going to vote for getting more from the starters. Ross has been quality. Whilst we have gotten less from the benchies. Our defense loses some sting and quality when tags and Tafua etc come in.

Lack of confidence in our benchies.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I've noticed they don't actually mention interchange numbers on tv much anymore, perhaps the exact science is between 7 and 10, not including injuries ? Are all teams numbers around this?

OK. So this one is not about the individuals. It's about the use of interchanges by Flanno

What do the vox populi here say about this

Round 1 - 9 interchanges used
Round 2 - 9 interchanges used
Round 3 - 9 interchanges used
Round 4 - 10 interchanges used
Round 5 - 9 interchanges used
Round 6 - 8 interchanges used
Round 7 - 7 interchanges used

Theories for the reduction? Coincide with the weather cooling? Coaching/Conditioning staff looking for more stamina by using people for longer bursts?
I was speaking to someone about this exact topic today.
We were flat yesterday, there was nowhere near the energy shown the week before. Gathered that they had been preparing with the knowledge that the next 2 months will be broken up because of byes and rep footy.
Maybe some tapering off until reps are over and the heavy grind part of the season begins?

Click2000

Juniors
Wade Graham has been great off the bench i think he will really develop into a great lock forward one day

He'll get bigger too over the coming years he's still just a bloody kid!

How old again ? Already played a lot of 1st grade for his age

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Future leader of the club imo. Excellent temperment and will become an even smarter player with experience. Second biggest signing the sharks have made in the last decade or two (behind Gal)....toddy can be in the top 3 also if he stays out of trouble. You forget he's so young and touch wood....seems durable.

Click2000

Juniors
Wow big wrap 2012 .... fair enough I think he's up there that's for sure mate

i thought he was about 23 but 21 that many games great stuff what i really like is his consistency

Card Shark

Immortal
Don't forget he played a large proportion of NSW cup in his last year at Penrith. We have obviously brought the best out in him.....hope he remembers that when negotiating for next year.

Ken Ebb

Juniors
Wade and Bukuya get plenty of game time and let's not forget Gallen plays the full 80.
I reckon the whole squad is fitter this year as well.
Apart from Pomeroy with his finger, no one has gone down with an injury this year and I'd say Flannery keeps a couple of changes up his sleeve in this instance.
I'd say he utilises the bench quite well.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Good topic Frenz. I reckon there is a standard number (maybe about 6 but just guessing) and the remaining changes are a reflection of the games intensity and how we are travelling at the time. This is particularly important when we have momentum and ill-timed interchanges can unsettle that. The first 20 minutes of the match are the most intense. The first interchanges would be more tactical than they would be fatigue and injury related maybe. As for why they have been reducing over the past few weeks I'm unsure. Perhaps it’s the Degwah - Morris change, maybe its a reflection of the confidence in the bench or maybe they didn’t want to unsettle the team. We really had to stick it out particularly last week, but also against the Stains and the Chokies.

Ken Ebb

Juniors
Future leader of the club imo. Excellent temperment and will become an even smarter player with experience. Second biggest signing the sharks have made in the last decade or two (behind Gal)....toddy can be in the top 3 also if he stays out of trouble. You forget he's so young and touch wood....seems durable.

We should make it an absolute top priority to sign Graham to 3-5 year contract.
Build the team around him, Bukuya and Carney.
Mills is slowly developing as well.
Bukuya is going tremendously and I'm sure he will be a representative player in the coming years provided he stays injury free.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Theoretical here

What if Phlanno put say, Ben Ross, on the bench. Gal to prop, Graham in at 13.

Gal can play 80 minutes. Bukuya already does 80. Graham was and still could get 80.

That would be 3 x 80 minute forwards a week barring incidentals. That expands your bench and potential interchange usage. In The Sharks case it could ensure that either one of Ross or Gibbs, the 2 best props, can be on the field always yet maintain the ability to use both at once if needed. Team loses nothing by having Gallen in 8 or 10 anyway.

shaggs

Coach
Why didn't you just quote me.

I suggested something similar, but thought maybe its better to glide fifita as a starter and get some more minutes from him. The fitter he gets the more explosive he will become when he goes back to the bench.

Still have gal and buks our there for 80.
I like graham off the bench. Can always start if smith needs an easy week or for injuries.
Bench of Ross, graham, morris, tags.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Why didn't you just quote me.

I suggested something similar, but thought maybe its better to glide fifita as a starter and get some more minutes from him. The fitter he gets the more explosive he will become when he goes back to the bench.

Still have gal and buks our there for 80.
I like graham off the bench. Can always start if smith needs an easy week or for injuries.
Bench of Ross, graham, morris, tags.

Why? We're not even on the same page :lol: