What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not wanted for Kiwis campaign

getsmarty

Immortal
Benji Marshall not wanted for Kiwis campaign

By SIMON BRUNSDON

Sept. 9, 2014, 5:53 p.m.

The Kiwis haven't named Benji Marshall in their 21-man squad. Picture: GETTY IMAGES

RUGBY LEAGUE
Former New Zealand captain Benji Marshall has been snubbed by the Kiwis' representative selectors but two of his St George-Illawarra teammates have been granted a green light.
Marshall wasn't included in coach Stephen Kearney's initial 21-man squad released on Tuesday, but Gerard Beale and Jason Nightingale will have their chance to pull on the national jumper during the Four Nations next month.
Beale and Nightingale have played a collective 25 internationals for New Zealand, while Marshall has tallied 27 Tests and captained his country for three years.
He has been in red-hot form for the Dragons but may have been a casualty of Kearney's desire to reshape the Kiwis' "culture".
Marshall reiterated on Sunday his desire to return to the national team but said he wouldn't lose any sleep if he didn't make the cut.
"If I am, awesome, if I'm not I'll probably just kick back for a bit," he said.
"It's been a pretty long year, I'll get ready to fight out a preseason for next year."
The inclusion of Beale and Nightingale takes the number of Dragons international squad members to nine.
Josh Dugan, Trent Merrin and Brett Morris have been named in Australia's squad, while Leeson Ah Mau, Peter Mata'utia and Kyle Stanley join Cutters talent Junior Tia-Kilifi on Samoa's initial list.
For Marshall the snubbing caps off a rollercoaster 12 months.
The 29-year-old left long-term club Wests Tigers last year for a brief stint in Super Rugby, before joining the Dragons in May.
The Red V were sitting bottom of the pile two months into the NRL season and bounced back to narrowly miss a spot in the top eight.
Their finals dream was shattered by a loss to Brisbane last week, before they were thrashed by an enthusiastic Newcastle outfit 40-10 at Hunter Stadium on Sunday to finish the season.
Marshall admitted it wasn't an ideal end to the year but said the entire club should take a lot of positives out of the past four months.
He believes the Dragons have laid a foundation for a return to finals in 2015.
"To still be fighting for a semi final spot and only give that away last week, it's a pretty big turnaround and effort from the guys and the coaching staff to get us in that position," Marshall said.
"We lapsed probably 15 minutes in every game this year and it cost us games, we need to work on that."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2547802/kearney-passes-on-benji-for-kiwis/?cs=302