What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall overrated?

juro

Bench
Going by the comments here, the only people who over-rate him are the channel 9 commentators. But then, what credibility do they have when they spend half their time crapping on about betting and underbelly, and the other half trying to stir each other up?

He can be brilliant. He can be bloody awful. Everyone can see his flaws. It is just not in the commentators' interest to talk about them.

To me, it looks like he is trying to tone it down a bit each year. But trying to find the balance between the top-of-your-head (or maybe more accurately, out-your-ass) plays and safe options is very hard for such a naturally freestyle player.

If he just played the safe option every time, he would probably be a very ordinary player, and he would hate playing that way.

Best player in the world? No way. But I love watching him try things that most others don't dare to. Without players like him (or Hayne, Stewart, Slater, Uate, ...), the NRL would not rate anywhere close to what it does.

God-King Dean

Immortal
He needs a quality half. He's doing it all on his lonesome & has too much responsibility on his hands.

Unfortunately I doubt they could afford him with the coin Marshall would be on.

I suspect getting a good halfback through the Tigers ranks is the only way it will happen.

Joker's Wild

Coach
He needs to learn the difference between going for the miracle play when the game needs to be won and going for the smart play when the game is in danger of being lost.

In short, he needs to learn to pick his moments better

hybrid_tiger

Coach
There was never any suggestion Kieran Foran would be a better fit for the Tigers, he obviosuly suits your style perfectly. He was just an example off the top of my head of an (admittedly still young) reliable player. I'm sure Tigers fans would have preferred the safe option in that Warriors semi..

Of course I would have preferred the safe option in the semi. But we wouldn't have been anywhere near the semi's without Marshall. That is the point.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Kieran Foran is a bloke playing a specific role in a very structured side with a very strong line-up. He's a fine young player but on the cusp of being hopelessly overrated if people think he is better than Benji.

RHCP

Bench
He needs to learn the difference between going for the miracle play when the game needs to be won and going for the smart play when the game is in danger of being lost.

In short, he needs to learn to pick his moments better
Nature of the beast. If he never throws balls over the sideline, he never makes the miracle plays because he never goes for them.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Kieran Foran is a bloke playing a specific role in a very structured side with a very strong line-up. He's a fine young player but on the cusp of being hopelessly overrated if people think he is better than Benji.

:lol::lol: jesus christ! No one said he's better than Benji!

Big Pete

Referee
Nature of the beast. If he never throws balls over the sideline, he never makes the miracle plays because he never goes for them.

That's the point JW is making.

There's a time and a place to attempt those sorts of plays - Benji seems to do it ALL the time.

boxhead

First Grade
He's no Johnathon Thurston, but Benji certainly would be in the top three players in the world.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think it's geniused to keep talking about "miracle plays" as well. That's lazy. Benji tries things because he sees a chance (where others, including his teammates, don't) and then specifically attempts to execute a play. That's completely different to "hail mary" or whatever.

The Rosco

Bench
The "over-rated" part comes from the "ratings" that the media, or the league community at large heaps on an individual player.

Marshall can at least back up most of what he is glorified with.

The most over-rated player in the history of the game was Brad Mackay. A decent, hard working 6.5 - 7/10 forward. A reliable, turn up most weeks player. But that's all.
He got Rothmans medals out of his arse. The media turned him into a messiah. I think he won the Rothmans twice. Vomit.
THAT was over-rated.

Gavin Miller . . .ditto. How on earth a lumbering, cart it up forward like him ( either of them ) was rated the best player for 2 yrs in a row, if memory serves, is beyond me !. Not a hint of a flick pass out of either of them.

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
You are a f**king idiot. Mackay didn't win a Rothmans but he was a bloody genius footballer.

Lewis

Juniors
Best player in the world? No way. But I love watching him try things that most others don't dare to. Without players like him (or Hayne, Stewart, Slater, Uate, ...), the NRL would not rate anywhere close to what it does.

Fantastic to watch, but you'd hate to have the farm riding on him.

As was mentioned earlier, if Benji became available on the open market, there is not a club in the NRL, Super League, Super 12/14/15/16 or whatever it is, Japanese, French or Italian rugby that would not chase him and pay top dollar for him.

I think that this alone should dispel any talk of being over rated, simply because he is highly rated and that is a fact.

Regards

Bubbles

Ram Man

Juniors
He can play there is no doubt but I get sick and tired of the absolute smoke-fest from Gould and in particular Voss. One flick pass and both of them have to change their undies, especially Voss. Same with Jarryd Hayne for that matter

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Wow....you have a lot of trouble with comprehension don't you?

Firstly, the stupid Gasnier/Moltzen. Now, not being able to distinguish between "highly rated" and "overrated".

Wow....you have a lot of trouble with comprehension don't you?

Firstly, the stupid Gasnier/Moltzen. Now, not being able to distinguish between "highly rated" and "overrated".

Mate, you are a knob of the highest order, you need to quit the breast feeding.

I am stating he is a highly rated player in my opinion and not over rated.

You are a typical bitter knob jockey.

No surprises there.