What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Rumour

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
This whole circus has really left me kind of sad more than anything else. He should have left this club as a champion & forever heralded as one of our greatest, afforded a send off like Jnr & Blocker had that I vaguely remember from my childhood. I'll never forget how I felt on grand final night in 2005. That night in the stands at homebush, I'll take that feeling to my grave & be forever thankfull that Benji played a massive part in it. He helped re-ignite my love for league that I had sort of lost through my late teens & early twenties. To see how he is now viewed by most Tiger's fans is incredibly sad, unfortunately he has only himself & Tauber to blame. Thanks for the memories Benji I will always be eternaly gratefull, but please dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

Last edited:

TYGA

Juniors
Its easy to blame players at times WT management under Humphries and Sheens caused the toxic atmosphere which, led to players being moved on and loss in form of Benji. People need to take responsibility including Benji as loyalty is a 2 way street. You need to earn your contract. He has not done this and here we are.

I think the bigger issue is our ongoing ability to attract players. Potter is not a drawcard and our renegging on contracts + pushing players out gets around.

hutch

First Grade
Thought the video message was a nice touch. Didn't whinge or bag anyone, acknowledged the club has a massive future and that it made him what he is today. Don't see how anybody can complain about it all really. Best of luck in the future, will forever be a wests tigers legend.

super_coach

First Grade
Well said, good luck to him into the future on and off the field.

That seemed like a very sincere explanation from Benji, its a pity he did not come out and say it from the start, his image would be in a lot better shape.In saying that he has certainly gone a long way to repairing the damage done in the last few days in a short sincere four minute interview.

To use his favorite line "at the end of the day" a champion player is leaving our club, lets hope he can make it back to the club in some capacity in his life after football

Matchball

Bench
He looked genuine at least in the video.
All the best but can you get out of the spotlight now?

Footy show should be interesting tonight. Pity I can't watch it.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I have been fairly vocal the last 12 months about Benji. His video is enough for me to remember him for the good times and now move on. I wish him well and hope he can go out on a high...perhaps the 200th game should be made a celebration by the club.

Benji, for all his flaws, almost on his own took our club from being a punchline and had us be taken seriously. With some other talented players he helped deliver us a premiership. Yeah he had his injury problems, but he came back from 4 shoulder recos and won a golden boot, a world cup and a four nations. He may not be the best player to ever wear the WT jersey (I give that distinction to Farah), but he is without a doubt the most important, where would we be now if there was no Benji Marshall? It is a shame that it ended this way, but it was always going to have to end. If he does honor his word (and we have no reason to doubt him on that) and never plays for another NRL club then you can't hate on the guy too much at all.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Grant Mayer just interviewed on Ch 1. Marshall has been granted a conditional release by the Board. Main condition being no other NRL club for term of current contract unless that NRL club wanting to sign Marshall seeks a release from WTs.

Mayer presented and spoke well. He spoke well of Marshall and said the club had been transparent, fair and generous in its offer.

Guys, let's keep the effigy burning to a minimum Friday night.

hutch

First Grade
As much as I would hate to see benji play against the tigers, I will hate seeing him play rugby union more. I would prefe to see him in another nrl teams jersey than give them scumbags publicity.

BrotherJim05

Bench
After watching Benji's interview on the footy show I don't know what to think. It makes sense that it wasn't due to money. I think he just got the shits with the clubs handling of retention.

Moltz has obviously been told to look elsewhere, Benji told he can't have his contract extended, Heino and Ryan being shown the door.....must have all just got to him. Pretty sad, but then again Gallen made a good point, why did he feel he had no choice when he had 2 years left on his contract?

moller

Juniors
For starters, there's not a snowball's chance in hell he realistically had 3 hrs to make up his mind. Insulting to think that people will believe that.
Second, Erin Molan is awful.

Nothing overly interesting in the interview, everything has already been said.

gordsy

Juniors
The video and the interview with Moaln were very different. It's almost as if he had calmed down or realised he farked up the one with nine and did the Tigers one to minimise the fall out.

Tiger05

First Grade
I didn't watch the footy show because I hate that dross. I take it yet again Benji said the right things and came across as a decent guy.

Was he live on the show ? Did he speak well ?

Latest posts