What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett coached Brisbane are pathetic

getsmarty

Immortal
I hear the "Bennett ripped us apart after he left" argument quite often.
What responsibility did the club management have leading up to and after his departure?
It wasn't Bennett's responsibility to establish a succession plan.
We all know he wanted a longer term at St. George and Doust wasn't prepared to offer it.
Then he made a frantic and failed effort to re-sign him.
Boyd was always going to leave and the departure of Scott and McKinnon could have been covered with some foresight and proactive roster management.
We also lost Weyman, Saffy and Costigan at nearly the same time which, in total, decimated our premiership winning pack.
Bennett came to St. George and delivered a premiership the likes of which we hadn't seen before or since for that matter.
I have nothing but respect for Bennett and am not prepared to make him totally responsible for what transpired after his departure.
The club was 100% responsible for losing JD. He was the most qualified "rookie" available with a sparkling CV and undeniable success and results to recommend him.
JD didn't want to leave but was given no choice.
The Illawarra faction had already anointed McGregor and were not about to admit their mistake.
3 years of fumbling and bumbling, amateur hour coaching followed as a result.
If Bennett didn't snap JD up, some other club would have.
I am also not prepared to write him off now.
He is surely nearing the end of his career but that does not diminish his experience and tenacity.

Well said Dennis.

Latest posts