What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think the odds of Bennett being our coach next year are very short. I just hope that he can bring Pangai with him. Someone else on this forum said that Haas and Roberts both have get out clauses if Bennett isn't Brisbane's coach. I have no idea if that is true, but I would happily take both of them too.

When Bennett left Brisbane last time, he was very respectful to them and only brought Boyd and someone else with him, who wasn't even a regular first grader. Boyd was unwanted by Brisbane. He didn't recruit any good young Brisbane players when he was coaching us or Newcastle. If we get Bennett this time, I don't think he will be as respectful as he was to Brisbane as he was last time.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Bennett will bring jack bird home.
Some very nervous Dragons players starting to sweat beads....Tipping sharp improvement in attitude and intensity against Tigers . Contracts and careers on the line
Also interesting Bennett prefers Widdop at 1 , and Hunt at 9......
Influx of current quality first grade talent , and perhaps a Dragon junior star coming home
Finally something for us all to get excited about

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The only reason to have him back - other than the fact he is still one of the best coaches in the NRL - would be with a view to the future and passing the coaching baton onto Jason Demetriou.
One of the best young coaches around who has served his apprenticeship and deserves a FG gig.
JD is streets ahead of Price, McGregor and any other in breds that may be hawking for the job.

Demetriou deserves a FB gig? Based on what exactly? Winning a title with the Cutters?

Seriously?!? Even Price oversaw a Jersey Flegg premiership in 2005.

The constant fawning over an unproven coach is baffling.

ViceVersa

Juniors
From The Courier Mail:

St George Illawarra considering move for former coach Wayne Bennett as Broncos exit nears

WAYNE Bennett is on the Dragons’ coaching radar with the besieged Broncos mentor closing the door on the prospect of working with Phil Gould at the Panthers.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Dragons coach Paul McGregor is on shaky ground and could be jettisoned to make way for Bennett’s resurrection with the famous club he steered to the 2010 premiership.

Influential figures at the Dragons have privately discussed a Bennett comeback, possibly as early as next season if the NRL’s greatest coach is sacked by Brisbane in coming weeks.

McGregor is off-contract at the end of next year but an internal faction has questioned whether the former NSW Origin centre can emulate Bennett and take the Red V to the holy grail.

The Dragons are currently mired in a worrying form slump that threatens to derail their premiership push, amplifying pressure on McGregor in his fourth full season as St George Illawarra coach.

The announcement of the Dragons’ CEO successor to long-serving Peter Doust is imminent.

A new ownership structure is also expected to be unveiled this month and Bennett — the joint-venture club’s only premiership coach — has been targeted as part of a fresh strategic vision.

While Bennett’s preference is to coach the Broncos until 2020, the 68-year-old is ostensibly a dead-man walking at Red Hill.

Broncos chairman Karl Morris and chief executive Paul White are keen to enact a succession plan, paving the way for Sydney-based NRL rivals to launch a poaching bid for Bennett.

While the seven-time premiership coach has been linked with Penrith, The Courier-Mail understands Bennett has no genuine interest in the Panthers post, mindful of the potential political friction with supremo Gould.

Bennett will be selective with his next move. There are only a handful of other NRL clubs he is interested in coaching. The Dragons are one of them.

Bennett was on the verge of a return to the Dragons in 2014.

Coaching Newcastle at the time, Bennett held high-level talks with Doust and was planning to drive to Sydney to ink a deal when the Broncos swooped at the eleventh-hour, sacking Anthony Griffin to accommodate the super coach.

Bennett initially left the Dragons in 2011, just 12 months after delivering St George Illawarra’s first premiership.

However, he retains a strong affinity with Dragons fans and the departing Doust, whose ties with Bennett were strengthened by the club’s 2010 title triumph.

The Illawarra faction of the joint venture will fight for McGregor, a Steelers legend, but if the Dragons are bundled out of the finals this season, the door of opportunity will swing open for Bennett.

Broncos players believe Bennett will not be in charge at Red Hill in 2019 and the veteran coach insists he will be honest about his retirement age.

“I feel I know how long I can go on for,” he said.

“I have a huge responsibility as a coach for a whole lot of things within a club. I have never lied to myself so I am not going to start now.

“I am not going to stay a year too long. I am going to be like Billy Slater and go out at the top of my game, but it’s not now.

“I want to be at the Broncos, but I want to continue to coach. Everyone knows that, so let’s see where it all goes.”

Last edited:

Hail Mary

Juniors
Mary needs a contract upgrade. He is one of the best coaches in the NRL right now. Wayne Bennett is overrated, he will end up coming in and rooting someones mrs. Give Mary another 3 year deal

ViceVersa

Juniors
Mary needs a contract upgrade. He is one of the best coaches in the NRL right now. Wayne Bennett is overrated, he will end up coming in and rooting someones mrs. Give Mary another 3 year deal

I made the original HAIL MARY banner back in 2014 buddy...

So now you 'Stole My Troll' lol

Demetriou deserves a FB gig? Based on what exactly? Winning a title with the Cutters?

Seriously?!? Even Price oversaw a Jersey Flegg premiership in 2005.

The constant fawning over an unproven coach is baffling.
Not really true.
I suppose it depends on what your criteria are and who you are comparing him to.
Coaching pedigree
1. Coached the Northern Pride to back to back Minor premierships and won the Queensland Cup in 2014
Also won the intrastate cup the same year.
2. Joined the Cowboys in 2015 as the assistant coach which was the year the Cowboys won the comp. Hmmm
3. 2016 joined the Dragons as an assistant coach and head coach of the Cutters. Won the comp that year and also won the intrastate cup again. Was named coach of the year in the NSW comp.
4. For reasons which still irk most on this forum, McGregor was preferred to Demetriou as the new FG coach of the Dragons.
Demetriou was immediately snapped up as the assistant to Wayne Bennett at the Broncos where he is highly rated.
So I don't know about you but compared to Price and McGregor, this guy has an outstanding CV with real results and a football philosophy that fosters a winning culture and an attractive style of football.
He also is a local junior - grew up in the St. George area and played both Harold Matthews and S.G. Ball for us. I don't know if that means anything to you but it does to me.
On the other hand, McGregor has coached bush footy in the Illawarra comp, 2 years as head coach of the Cutters 8th and 10th from memory AND no coaching apprenticeship to speak of.
So who are you kidding?
Just look at what Siebold is doing at Souths and even Brennan at the Titans.
Both had extensive apprenticeships working under top line coaches.
So your questions are answered in detail.
"Fawning", "unproven"?
Better take a closer look because you chose the wrong target.

getsmarty

Immortal

Sure give him another 3 years...at another club.........pass

mickeylane

Bench
Peter Badell is one of the most credible reporters in Brisbane and if hes reporting Bennets on our radar - HE IS! Plus Doust along w Morris Iemma the incoming CEO will want to give the club a huge boost and Bennettis the ideal man to do that. I also believe Bennett will bring Darius with him again on a 2year deal to play 5/8 w Widdop moving to Fullback. Darius will be 33 when his contract will finish w Dragons .
One thing for sure Bennett doesnt suffer fools gladly -
Lafai, Aitken, Dufty will all go in the clean out and quite possibly James Roberts & Pangai will come down along w Boyd w Bennett and Demetriou!!

Widdop
Mcdonald
Lomax
Roberts
???

Boyd
Hunt

JDB
Pangai
Sims
Frizzell
Mciness
Vaughan

Sims
Graham
Host
??

Frank Facer

First Grade
Peter Badell is one of the most credible reporters in Brisbane and if hes reporting Bennets on our radar - HE IS! Plus Doust along w Morris Iemma the incoming CEO will want to give the club a huge boost and Bennettis the ideal man to do that. I also believe Bennett will bring Darius with him again on a 2year deal to play 5/8 w Widdop moving to Fullback. Darius will be 33 when his contract will finish w Dragons .
One thing for sure Bennett doesnt suffer fools gladly -
Lafai, Aitken, Dufty will all go in the clean out and quite possibly James Roberts & Pangai will come down along w Boyd w Bennett and Demetriou!!

Widdop
Mcdonald
Lomax
Roberts
???

Boyd
Hunt

JDB
Pangai
Sims
Frizzell
Mciness
Vaughan

Sims
Graham
Host
??
That looks like a pretty good team Mickey. I am pretty sure that McDonald will be at the Cowboys next year. Other than that they could all be here, but I also have my doubts about Boyd being here, as I am pretty sure that he said he wouldn't be following Bennett this time, if he moved clubs next year, I know that doesn't mean that he won't follow Bennett. Boyd is the current captain of Brisbane and doesn't have many good years left in him. I think we would be much better off signing Munster for 2020. Johnson is another who is off contract at the end of next year. There are some big wraps on Tom Wright at Manly. He may be worth having a close look at? Penrith's young half, last name starts with L, may be worth having a close look at? I am not sure if Brimson is signed up long term with the Gold Coast, but he looks another very good young 5/8.

gonz

Juniors
Not really true.
I suppose it depends on what your criteria are and who you are comparing him to.
Coaching pedigree
1. Coached the Northern Pride to back to back Minor premierships and won the Queensland Cup in 2014
Also won the intrastate cup the same year.
2. Joined the Cowboys in 2015 as the assistant coach which was the year the Cowboys won the comp. Hmmm
3. 2016 joined the Dragons as an assistant coach and head coach of the Cutters. Won the comp that year and also won the intrastate cup again. Was named coach of the year in the NSW comp.
4. For reasons which still irk most on this forum, McGregor was preferred to Demetriou as the new FG coach of the Dragons.
Demetriou was immediately snapped up as the assistant to Wayne Bennett at the Broncos where he is highly rated.
So I don't know about you but compared to Price and McGregor, this guy has an outstanding CV with real results and a football philosophy that fosters a winning culture and an attractive style of football.
He also is a local junior - grew up in the St. George area and played both Harold Matthews and S.G. Ball for us. I don't know if that means anything to you but it does to me.
On the other hand, McGregor has coached bush footy in the Illawarra comp, 2 years as head coach of the Cutters 8th and 10th from memory AND no coaching apprenticeship to speak of.
So who are you kidding?
Just look at what Siebold is doing at Souths and even Brennan at the Titans.
Both had extensive apprenticeships working under top line coaches.
So your questions are answered in detail.
"Fawning", "unproven"?
Better take a closer look because you chose the wrong target.
Nice Dennis

nontime111

Juniors
Id love to see

Dufty
Nene
Jimmy the Jet
Lomax
Periera or another good young winger with speed
Widdop
Hunt

JDB
Frizz
Simms
Vaughn
Mcinnes
Pangai jnr

bench:

Korbin
Lawrie
Luch
Herbert?Robson ( depending on how much of a rest Mccinnes needs in games)

Frank Facer

First Grade
Id love to see

Dufty
Nene
Jimmy the Jet
Lomax
Periera or another good young winger with speed
Widdop
Hunt

JDB
Frizz
Simms
Vaughn
Mcinnes
Pangai jnr

bench:

Korbin
Lawrie
Luch
Herbert?Robson ( depending on how much of a rest Mccinnes needs in games)
I like the look of your team, but I would also find room for Graham on the bench. He is still better than Korbin or Lawrie.

I wonder if Bennett would be looking to play Hunt at hooker again and therefore be looking for a new halfback. He also played Widdop at fullback for England. Would that mean that Bennett may be looking for a new 5/8? If so would he want to keep Widdop or Dufty for fullback? Just a bit of food for thought.

Saintsified

Bench
At a BBQ for Broncos.

I love this shit, supporting Saint Wayne like this gives me goosebumps, can't see our players doing the same for Mary.

The respect Wayne commands wins f**ken premierships. Sign him up for 3 years or 5 like he always wanted .

According to News Corp, the entire Broncos team was invited to an annual barbecue event at White's home, but minutes before the event, Boyd informed the Broncos CEO via text message that he would not be attending, instead opting to head to his coach's house.

In an incredible show of support, a brass of Broncos players that were already at White's gathering, immediately departed and arrived at their coach's house to find their captain in attendance.

Latest posts