What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

I don't get why you'd want him, you get maybe 1 or 2 years of winning again.. then he leaves..

You're back to where you were when Steve Price was at the helm, the guy is nearly 70 years old
Have you seen our team over the last 8 years?
Two years of winning sounds pretty good to me.

But aside from that, a lot of us want him to bring Jason Demetriou back with him.
He should have replaced Mary 2 years ago.

Redhoopz

Juniors
As bad as McGregor is, I would say no to Bennett. I also wouldn't take Maguire or Hasler.

I don't know who would be the best fit, but It wouldn't be any of the above three for me or any other Dragons old boys. The only big name coach I would take at the Dragons would be Bellamy. Otherwise I'd give JD a shot or someone like Seibold.

Reactions: Gm5

FlameThrower

Bench
As bad as McGregor is, I would say no to Bennett. I also wouldn't take Maguire or Hasler.

I don't know who would be the best fit, but It wouldn't be any of the above three for me or any other Dragons old boys. The only big name coach I would take at the Dragons would be Bellamy. Otherwise I'd give JD a shot or someone like Seibold.
You need to think real world.
Bellamy has extended to remain in Melb. Seibold either goes to Broncos or remains at Souths. Maguire, Hasler and Griffin all available now. Toovey also available. Bennett about to pushed from Brisbane so also a chance for 2019. That’s who we should be looking for if Club wants to turn this ship around..

I don't get why you'd want him, you get maybe 1 or 2 years of winning again.. then he leaves..

You're back to where you were when Steve Price was at the helm, the guy is nearly 70 years old
The only reason to have him back - other than the fact he is still one of the best coaches in the NRL - would be with a view to the future and passing the coaching baton onto Jason Demetriou.
One of the best young coaches around who has served his apprenticeship and deserves a FG gig.
JD is streets ahead of Price, McGregor and any other in breds that may be hawking for the job.

possm

Coach
Bennet will be the only one who can recruit the right players to help us be competitive again. If he comes to the Dragons I'd say Jimmy the Jet, Boyd and a couple of forwards will also come. Maybe even Oats will come with him.

Nightingale has retired, Ah Mau is going to the Warriors, Dufty, Field, Latimore, Allgood, Kerr, Lafai and Aitken will all be let go.
Boyd will play fullback
Oats and Nene will be our wingers
Lomax and Jimmy the jet will be our centres
Our halves will stay the same
K Sims, Vaughan and a couple of props will follow Bennett
Our backrow will stay the same

Gareth67

First Grade
Bennet will be the only one who can recruit the right players to help us be competitive again. If he comes to the Dragons I'd say Jimmy the Jet, Boyd and a couple of forwards will also come. Maybe even Oats will come with him.

Nightingale has retired, Ah Mau is going to the Warriors, Dufty, Field, Latimore, Allgood, Kerr, Lafai and Aitken will all be let go.
Boyd will play fullback

I like what you have said possum, however where will the money come from to sign Bennett , pay out Mary and also the players that may follow him South ? The players that ‘ shall be let go ‘ may still not be enough.

Personally I would get him here also , but don’t forget he has already had first hand experience with the Jiont Venture’s board and there fore realizes just how hard they are to work with. Unfortunately I believe that he will give the Dragons a miss - a big miss and move to Penrith .

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Boyd will play fullback

Isn’t Boyd retiring this year?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I like what you have said possum, however where will the money come from to sign Bennett , pay out Mary and also the players that may follow him South ? The players that ‘ shall be let go ‘ may still not be enough.

Personally I would get him here also , but don’t forget he has already had first hand experience with the Jiont Venture’s board and there fore realizes just how hard they are to work with. Unfortunately I believe that he will give the Dragons a miss - a big miss and move to Penrith .

Think Bennett would rather work with our board than Gould.

Gould has a brain, our board doesn’t.

Nobody can be on equal footing with Gould, so l’d be more than surprised if Bennett would go near him.

Anyway, just my two bobs worth.

merahputih

Juniors

I think the answer to the money question lies with whether the Gordon family purchase of the Illawarra side of the venture comes through, which in turn should give us some pipeline into the business community we don't seem to have now (like the Roosters, Broncos, etc) so we can offer attractive TPA's and a coach who top players want to play for.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think the answer to the money question lies with whether the Gordon family purchase of the Illawarra side of the venture comes through, which in turn should give us some pipeline into the business community we don't seem to have now (like the Roosters, Broncos, etc) so we can offer attractive TPA's and a coach who top players want to play for.

Without a doubt , that would certainly solve a few problems merahputih , however that has been in the pipeline in one form or another for quite sometime now. But I most sincerely hope that it can come to fruition in the near future, as it would restore my hope for the Joint venture’s future .

Frank Facer

First Grade
Here are 2 interesting things to consider if we signed Bennett. He moved Hunt to hooker at Brisbane last year and moved Widdop to fullback for England last year. Both performed well at those positions. Hunt looked to provide a bit of x factor at hooker. Widdop played fullback coming into grade with Melbourne. If we did sign Bennett would he be looking to move both Hunt and or Widdop to hooker and fullback, respectively? He would obviously need to sign a new halfback and 5/8 and they are the 2 most difficult positions to sign quality players.