What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny Creagh

Bench
I noticed him in shorts and t-shirt in part of the opposed training session before last weeks game one can only hope that is a sign.
The great Harry Bath pulled a smart one when he brought Bantam down onto the ground in his uniform and the players and crowd went wild so with the interchange being so brilliantly used by supercoach surely he can get him out there for 1 last time.
But as someone else posted earlier Ben is such a humble guy he will try to stay out of the limelight.
I can remember Mark Shulman coming on the cricket ground for the grand final replay, that's what Ben deserves at the very least

blacksafake

First Grade
Actually he did OK in that first game on the wing, nothing spectacular but he seemed keen to get involved. A few of us certainly noticed him, so the signs were there.

Followed Ben Creagh's progress after that as he found himself being positioned closer to the forwards and eventually in the front row.

A one club player, rare in the modern age and a true sign of character. An inspiration to a generation of players and fans... that's his legacy.
Well said Willow.
I for one will miss Capt Blood.

blacksafake

First Grade
I noticed him in shorts and t-shirt in part of the opposed training session before last weeks game one can only hope that is a sign.
The great Harry Bath pulled a smart one when he brought Bantam down onto the ground in his uniform and the players and crowd went wild so with the interchange being so brilliantly used by supercoach surely he can get him out there for 1 last time.
But as someone else posted earlier Ben is such a humble guy he will try to stay out of the limelight.
Supercoach will probably forget he's even on the bench & not use him.It wouldn't be the first time.

Old Timer

Coach
Does anybody have any idea what the club will be doing to celebrate Ben's career or is it just a case of turn up on the day and it will be what it will be?

Zucchini

Juniors
3 treis to Ben Creagh
Some great moments of Dragons victories coming at the death including some vintage Ben Creah, tries from kicks, sparkling attack and a fleeting glimpse of the rise and rise of super coach.
That was very enjoyable! And MCGregor would be pleased - not too many tries from kicks!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
3 treis to Ben Creagh
Some great moments of Dragons victories coming at the death including some vintage Ben Creah, tries from kicks, sparkling attack and a fleeting glimpse of the rise and rise of super coach.

Thanks old timer many good memories there.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Despite being named, he's withdrawn from the side. He said he doesn't want to remember his last game as struggling to run & missing tackles.

getsmarty

Immortal
Creagh: Nice Gesture By The Club
Wed 31st August, 12:00PM
A A

By Jack Brady (NRL.com)

Retiring Dragons co-captain Ben Creagh has declined the opportunity to play a farewell NRL game against the Newcastle Knights this weekend.

Creagh was named in the No. 12 jumper by coach Paul McGregor on Tuesday afternoon but after training with the team throughout the week wasn't confident with how his ongoing knee issues would hold up.

Creagh being named to play the Knights will now serve as a tribute, with him set to prepare, warm up and sit on the bench in his favoured No. 12 jumper.

The inspirational back-rower will retire with 270 NRL games, two Tests for Australia, 12 Origins for New South Wales and the 2010 Telstra Premiership victory under his belt.

"Unfortunately my knee's that bad now. It's not getting better. It's not what I want to remember my last game as: going out there, struggling, getting run past and missing tackles so I won't play this weekend," Creagh said.

"The club's done a nice thing by naming me in the 12 jersey, I played a lot of games there for the Dragons. It'd be a token game if I played. But I wouldn't have been able to play for very long,

"I don't really want to go out there if I can't compete at 100 per cent and I don't want to let the guys down."

Creagh – the second most-capped St George Illawarra player ever – said he was looking forward to the tribute game nonetheless despite him not being able to play.

"To be named in the 12 on the last home game of the year, my last game as a player of the club, is really special," he said.

"I'm really looking forward to Saturday, although I'm not playing, it will be a really special day for me."

Fellow departing Dragon Benji Marshall – a former New Zealand skipper in his own right – offered Creagh a glowing appraisal.

"I can honestly say with my time here, he's probably the best leader I've ever seen or been under and probably the most-respected player that I've seen," Marshall said.

"Just the way he carries himself and I think if you talk to anyone around the club, you wouldn't find a person who'd say a bad word about him.

"From my point of view, the stuff he's done for me away from football is more important than the stuff with football."

Creagh has been the man to lead the team song throughout the season despite not playing since Round 3, but refused to name his successor.

"I'm not going to nominate anyone. They can sort it amongst themselves," he laughed.

"There's a few guys that'll put their hands up who'd love to do it."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/31/creagh_nice_gesture_.html

MilanDragon

Juniors
Fellow departing Dragon Benji Marshall – a former New Zealand skipper in his own right – offered Creagh a glowing appraisal.

"I can honestly say with my time here, he's probably the best leader I've ever seen or been under and probably the most-respected player that I've seen," Marshall said.

"Just the way he carries himself and I think if you talk to anyone around the club, you wouldn't find a person who'd say a bad word about him.

"From my point of view, the stuff he's done for me away from football is more important than the stuff with football."

First grade person and footballer. Really want to see him use that business degree and lead the dragons off the field in the future.

Last edited:

OzDragon

Coach
First grade person and footballer. Really want to see him use that business degree and less the dragons off the field in the future.
I can see him leading the education initiative for players within the NRL in a few years. Very professional and smart. Been an honour cheering him on this past decade.

Red V for life

Juniors
His decision not to play comes back to one thing...what he thinks is in the best interests of the team. Sad he won't get to pull on the jumper one last time, but it doesn't surprise me one little bit.

Hopefully the fans are out to give him a rousing reception and send off (and I'm hoping Foxsports shows a bit of it). I'll be raising a glass from afar to send Benny off.

blacksafake

First Grade
Once again Ben shows his class by putting the club/team first. Always gave 100% & lets hope he has a fine future ahead of him in a senior position in the club.
Thanks for your service Captain Blood.

Old Timer

Coach
He has a degree in commerce so he will be a valuable resource.
I just hope he has a year or two away in another sporting organisation to learn the skill set he needs because far too often we just parachute them into a ready made job at the club.

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Reaction: Ben Creagh Round 26 v Newcastle Knights
Sat 3rd September, 07:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons co-captain Ben Creagh provides his reaction following the 28-26 win over the Newcastle Knights at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday.

The local University of Wollongong junior played 270 first-grade fixtures and retires the second all-time most-capped players for the Club.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/09/03/player_reaction_ben_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
2018-nrl-rookie-camp-2019---ben-creagh-rookie-rookie-camp-novotel-norwest-1.jpg

NRL NEWS

Creagh shares lessons learnt with NRL Rookies
Author
Tanisha Stanton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 18 Dec 2018, 11:01 AM
stantontanisha-head.png

Giving players the knowledge and conviction to be able to tell their teammates when their behaviour is out of line was a key part of the 2018 NRL Rookie Camp.

Former South Sydney, NSW and Test great Ian Roberts, who is now an actor, conducted a Theatre Sports workshop with the 70 rookies and four NRL referees in attendance – role-playing different scenarios before being instructed on how to handle what can be extremely intense situations.

Fifteen other former players joined Roberts in addressing the next crop of youngsters last Friday and Saturday at the Novotel Sydney Norwest about a range of topics including resilience, social media, cultural awareness, VET pathways, the RLPA, behaviours and choices, respectful relationships, financial education and personal branding.

Roberts said it was clear the workshop was a vital part of the two-day camp, considering the poor decision-making of some NRL players in recent times.

"With what has happened recently, the conversation needed to be addressed," Roberts said.

"We ran different scenarios with the group and after the scene we discussed what could have been done better in certain situations.

"The scenarios that we ran were around bullying, drug use, misogyny, sexual assault, homophobia and mental health issues.

"This is also about blokes holding each other accountable and tapping their mates on the shoulder and saying no that's not OK – although the responsibility at the end of the day falls back on the individual."

Former St George Illawarra, NSW and Test great Ben Creagh ran a workshop on some basic financial concepts that young players needed to be aware of in the early stages of their careers – superannuation, taxes, their standard playing contract and player retirement accounts.

Creagh, who has been delivering the financial education program to NRL players over the last 12 months, said players needed to be setting goals not only on the field but off it as well.

"There's a huge financial shock when you do retire from rugby league," Creagh said.

"I shared some different financial strategies and different habits that have worked for successful people which is vital for these players at the stage they're at in their career.

"I also shared some of my experience about my football journey and the financial struggles you can have at times and ways to get out of it.

"It's important these young guys have this in the back of their mind because big contracts can come along very quickly and establishing good financial habits early will help when that does happen.

"They are already very goal-driven in what they want to achieve on the field but it's important for them to have some financial goals in place as well."

This is also about blokes holding each other accountable and tapping their mates on the shoulder and saying no that's not OK...

Ian Roberts
Cronulla Sharks young gun Bronson Xerri, who recently extended his contract at the club until the end of the 2021 season, said the camp was beneficial in addressing some key messages as well as opportunities that are available to the players throughout their career.

"I really enjoyed the camp and felt like I took a lot away from it," Xerri said.

"Each presenter reiterated to us that it's more than just about playing the game.

"There are so many different aspects to ensuring we reach our full potential both on and off the field – whether it be the state of our mental health, making the right decisions, pursing a VET pathway and making sure we are financially stable for life after footy, to touch on a few topic we discussed.

"It was also great that past players lead the workshops and are supporting us young boys on our rugby league journey."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/12/18/creagh-shares-lessons-learnt-with-nrl-rookies/