What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bernie Gurr

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2e307be9a5a897d066232bce16d1c565

Eels boss Bernie Gurr: NRL draw must deliver more derbies
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
April 21, 2017 7:53pm

PARRAMATTA boss Bernie Gurr has unveiled his blueprint for a revamped NRL draw, aimed at preventing scheduling bungles such as today’s Western Sydney derby against the Panthers being played just once this season.

Normally the most anticipated game on the calendar for both clubs, the Eels and Panthers’ one-off game will be staged at ANZ Stadium with kick-off at 3pm, clashing with the junior competitions in the two huge rugby league regions.

Just as Panthers supremo Phil Gould let rip this week about the timing of the derby, Gurr told The Saturday Telegraph he was equally unimpressed.

Gurr went one step further by outlining his preferred model for the NRL draw, which included every team playing each other once, but the Sydney clubs and non-Sydney clubs — including the Wollongong-based St George Illawarra — meeting each other twice.

That would bring the season tally to 22 NRL games, which could then allow for the three State of Origin games to be played on stand-alone weekends.

More importantly, the local rivalry would help boost the struggling Sydney crowds.

“We need to manufacture a draw so we’ve got derbies the fans love,’’ Gurr said.

“The more derbies you have, the better chance you have of generating atmosphere and crowds.

“Crowds in the regional areas have been good. There are good crowds in Brisbane, good crowds in Townsville, Canberra and Melbourne have their own faithful.

“But crowds in Sydney are a problem at the moment. It’s not the complete answer, but it should be looked at and discussed. We had 28,000 on Monday for the Tigers game, which was terrific.’’

Dragons fans would not welcome their club being classified as outside Sydney. Another debate would be how Sydney teams benefit, especially having to meet powerhouses like the Cowboys, Broncos and Storm just the once.

But Gurr was more than happy for the topic to be discussed, especially with Origin around the corner and the club crowds in Sydney ready to take a fresh hit.

“No other league in the world tolerates their stars not playing in club games. Fans vote with their feet and the game goes a bit dead because fans know the stars aren’t playing,’’ Gurr said.

An NRL spokesman said last night: “The season structure for 2018 to 2022, which includes the number of rounds as well as the placement of State of Origin, are committed as part of our broadcast agreements.

“We are working closely with our clubs to discuss how we maximise benefits of the new draw process for 2018 onwards.’’

Anything north of 10,000 fans will be a bonus today for the Panthers, who welcome back Bryce Cartwright from injury, while the suspended Kenny Edwards is back for Parramatta.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...8/news-story/f588cd6c383c7bac5a389a65fe250bfd
Eels boss Bernie Gurr answers tough questions on Parramatta’s horror start to 2018

DAVID RICCIO, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

NO team since South Sydney in 2008 has started an NRL season worse than Parramatta.

Sitting winless after six matches, under-fire Parramatta Eels CEO Bernie Gurr spoke with chief sports writer

David Riccio about the future of Brad Arthur, irate fans and why Jarryd Hayne must show the club he’s worth keeping.

DR: Even non-Eels fans view the loss of Semi Radradra as alarming. Could you have gone harder to keep him?

BG: No, I don’t think we could’ve. I know the offer he had over there (French rugby) and we were a long way short of it. We would’ve made him the highest-paid player in rugby league. Are we missing him? Of course. But with the development of the squad from last year and the buys we bought in, we thought we’d have an even better squad this year.

DR: We won’t ever see Semi back in blue and gold, will we?

BG: You never say never. But we’re not even contemplating that at the moment.

Parramatta Eels CEO Bernie Gurr. Picture: Phil Hillyard

DR: Aside from working hard, how do Parramatta overcome its worst start to a season since 1991?

BG: Brad is a very analytical coach. He’s looked at our team and there’s a discipline problem. We’re giving away a lot of penalties and as such have a much higher tackle count than the opposition and so we’re without energy when we do have the football.

We can’t sugar-coat a bitter pill, our attack seems to have lacked not only energy but cohesion. We’ve had discipline problems and that’s where we need to fix things.’’

DR: Devastated Eels fans are threatening to tear up their memberships. What do you say to them?

BG: I feel for them. They’re upset and justifiably so. How we’re playing is not to the standards we’d expected. I have a huge empathy for Parramatta fans. I’m one of them.

fad804a49f957c83289b9536b012e510

The Parramatta Eels have endured a horror start to the 2018 NRL season. Picture: Brett Costello

DR: Has the poor start impacted the club’s bottom line?

BG: No — it hasn’t as yet. The club is on track financially to have a dramatic improvement over the performance of the last couple of years.

DR: You face Manly today at ANZ Stadium. Anything less than 10,358 would be the smallest Parramatta home crowd since 2003, that’s got to be a major concern?

BG: You’re right, especially when typically Parramatta has the best crowds of the nine Sydney clubs. But fans don’t follow losers, particularly in the Sydney market. We boast the most passionate and loyal supporters in the game so I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t get a crowd over 10,000.

DR: Bernie, the club’s football structure is deservedly under fire. You are both the head of football and football club CEO. Will you be stepping down from one of the two roles?

BG: I know the issue of head of football has come up now — and that’s a valid issue when you’re not going well. This was the structure that was implemented 15 months ago and worked very well for last year.

d03b334e0c421440a1947684a55b9fcf

Eels coach Brad Arthur hasn’t had much to smile about this season. Picture: Phil Hillyard

DR: So you would consider standing down from the head of football role and focus solely on the role of CEO?

BG: If it was the most cost-effective way to run our football club, yes I would.

DR: Two great servants of the game, Tim Mannah and Beau Scott, will they be at the club in 2019?

BG: Beau’s contract is up at the end of 2018, so his performances will determine that. Timmy has a contract for next year, so he’ll be here.

DR: All reports suggest you’ve signed Canberra’s Junior Paulo for next season.

BG: We haven’t signed Junior Paulo yet — but it’s fair to say we’re interested.

DR: So if Junior signs, who won’t come cheaply, how do you explain the club’s promotion — or lack there of — of local juniors to first grade?

BG: Since I came in 15 months ago, we’ve had a couple of real priorities outside just the NRL team and one of them has been to re-engage with our junior teams. With the investment we’re putting in, over the next two or three years, you’re going to see it (junior pathways) get back to where it should be for Parramatta. It’s going to be a bit of a journey but we’re going to do it — they’re our future.

408b35ee96abfed2651cfea6eb546fb9

Corey Norman can’t hid his disappointment during a loss to Penrith. Picture: Brett Costello

DR: Corey Norman, even he admits he drives Brad crazy. Is that a healthy situation for coach and playmaker?

BA: It’s happened a lot over the years. I don’t think Turvey (Steve Mortimer) and Warren Ryan got on that well, but they managed to win two or three comps. You don’t have to be best mates — you just need a working relationship. Corey and Brad get on fine.

DR: The TV vision of the dressing rooms after the loss to Canberra was highly emotional. Is it now beyond breaking point at Parramatta?

BG: I was in there and I was devastated, too. It showed they cared. I don’t like players out on the field high-fiving and chatting away after getting lapped on the field. I hate that.

DR: From a football department point of view, will you be reviewing your injury prevention and injury management because you’ve already used 24 players — the most in the NRL?

BG: You’d have to analyse the type of injury that is occurring. We have a very sophisticated physical performance group so I’m sure they’re analysing it.

d23c57a0fa23674da82452ee150b4d34

Jarryd Hayne’s Eels future remains uncertain.

DR: It’s fair to say the jury is still out on the Jarryd Hayne experiment.

BG: Jarryd has had two games and being honest, he wasn’t stellar in either of those games. I don’t think we’ve got a representative sample of Jarryd’s performances yet to evaluate where he’s going to end up in 2018.

DR: Will Jarryd be at the club next year?

BG: We don’t know, he’s on a one-year contract. These players in many ways determine their own futures. A great old coach told me, coaches don’t pick teams, players do by their performances. Players also determine their future contracts, whether they’re with this club or another club. It’s up to the player. Any players that are off contract at the end of 2018, their future in the game and with the Eels will be determined by their ability to prepare professionally and how they play.

DR: So how long does Jarryd have to prove himself?

BG: He’s only played two games and he’s got 18 games to go. He’ll get an adequate time to prove himself.

DR: Lastly, what would a win mean to the club on Sunday afternoon?

BG: It would be huge. We need to get a win. It would pick up the morale. We’re lucky that we’ve got a very unified club at the moment. There’s certainly no cracks amongst coaches, players and management we’re all in this together, but we need to get a win.

hybrideel

Bench
This bit is of some concern to me
DR: So you would consider standing down from the head of football role and focus solely on the role of CEO?
BG: If it was the most cost-effective way to run our football club, yes I would..

We kind of already knew that but to have it confirmed that they are more focused on saving rather than doing everything they can to make us a better team doesn't sit well.
I know every team can only spend within it's means, but we have a pretty decent leagues club so our means should be way above people doing multiple roles to save money
F**king Max

T.S Quint

Coach
Well the Leagues Club has been hemorrhaging money because of us over the last few years. While it is linked to the footy club, it is still its own business and needs to run as such.
They can't just hand over infinite amounts of money. If it is cost effective for Bernie to have two roles at the club, then I'm sure he can handle it. Like he said, it was working fine last year.

Chipmunk

Coach
Well the Leagues Club has been hemorrhaging money because of us over the last few years. While it is linked to the footy club, it is still its own business and needs to run as such.
They can't just hand over infinite amounts of money. If it is cost effective for Bernie to have two roles at the club, then I'm sure he can handle it. Like he said, it was working fine last year.

What the f**k is the purpose of Leagues if it can't fund your football team?

T.S Quint

Coach
What the f**k is the purpose of Leagues if it can't fund your football team?

It does fund the football team (along with the NRL grants).
It also has to stay in business for itself. The original purpose of a Leagues Club was to give funding to the footy club, yes, but is that its only function now? I'm guessing it functions as a separate entity even more so these days. The board and CEO of the club can't have millions of dollars of unnecessary funds just being eaten up by the footy club. They need to have a reason as to why they need the extra money, and maybe this is something that is deemed unneeded.