What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best ever Eels Side

ParraMatt

Bench
1 Ken Thornett
2 David Woods
3 Mick Cronin
4 Steve Ella
5 Eric Grothe Snr
6 Brett Kenny
7 Peter Sterling
8 Nathan Cayless
9 Steve Edge
10 Bob O'Reilly
11 Nathan Hindmarsh
12 Jason Smith
13 Ray Price

14 Matthew Spence
15 Dallas Weston
16 Dean Pay
17 Ron Lynch

number8

Juniors
If you were picking a side for a game tommorrow from former BLUE & GOLDS than this is my pick. I am only offering an opinion on the players I have seen & obviously left EELS legends like Thornett out on the basis they were before my time. Although I'm sure there are better composite EELs teams these guys would make an awsome 17 in today's game.

I stuggled with front rowers that could make the transition between their era & the modern game. Most of our great front rowers were great in their era but it was a different game in the front row more than anywhere else.

1. Brett Hodgson (Still one of the best in the modern game but only just shades Schifcofskse & McKinnon)

2. Eric Grothe (In any era)

3. Mick Cronin (C) (His leadership quailities & offloads would trancend any era)

4. Jamie Lyon (Traitor but geez he was good. Controversial but this is my team)

5. Eric Grothe Jr (In the mould of Dad)

6. Brett Kenny (Best 5/8th i've ever seen)

7. Peter Sterling (Best 1/2 i've ever seen)

8. Dean Pay (Old school toughness & modern game skills)

9. P.J. Marsh (More spark than other contenders)

10. Nathan Cayless (Has shown his worth & pride, deserves a place)

11. Nathan Hindmarsh (Who hasn't got this bloke in as 1st pick)

12. Peter Wynn (Mobility of the current back row prototype & as Parramatta as they come)

13. Ray Price (One of the great locks)

14. Glenn Morrison (Controversial but this is my team)

15. Jim Dymock (One of my favourite players)

16. Steve Ella (Great starter in his day & has the utility factor. would be devestating off the bench in the modern game of big outside backs. Run him as an impact player.)

17. Paul Mares (Would have been very good in the modern game)

nöyd

Staff member
surprised that nobody has selected freeman as their halfback, seeing as he is loved by all and sundry on this forum in particular

parra pete

Referee
Gee it is hard to pick a side covering different eras but Ken Thornett, Mick Cronin, Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling, Ray Price, Nathan Hindmarsh, Brian Hambly, Ron Hilditch would be my team..and I would build it around them.
Throw in Jamie Lyon,Steve Ella, Paul Taylor, Dick Thornett, Nev Glover, Dean Pay, Jason Smith and you have a good squad. With Jack Gibson coach and Brian Smith his assistant, Denis Fitzgerald CEO, Mick Souter conditioner, Ron Massey Video analysis, Basil Cohen selling the doubles around the ground, Joe Joseph massuer, Spencer O'Neill - Stan Simpson - Jack Argent key administrators.
I have soft spot for PJ Marsh of the current crop. I love the way he plays the game and I am so glad he is back 'home' In my opinion PJ was our best player in the 2001 Grand Final. I think if Brian had his time over again, he would have started PJ instead of Jason Taylor in that match and had JT come on after about twenty minutes.
Can you remember the 1981 Grand Final? Jack Gibson had Stumpy Stevens feeding the scrums early to counter Tommy Raudonikis expected intimidation of Sterling.
In my opinion the Eels are right in this competition. I have a very good feeling about it. The defence has been superb. I have said it before..... the loss to Canterbury was our turning point. I thought the Eeels were magnificent in defeat on that night. Go back to my posts at that time and look. We haven't been beaten since.

yy_cheng

Coach
Paul Mares was one of my favourite players.

He was a big, fat prop who could run fast. He could even put up bombs and chase after them.

I think he had a terrible leg injury which ruined his career.

Here's mine with my twist. My favourite eels in their possies

1. Hodgo
2. Ella
3. Lyon
4. Cronin
5. Grothe Snr
6. Kenny
7. Sterlo
8. Pay
9. Riddell
10. Beetson
11. Hindmarsh
12. J Smith
13. Price

14. PJ
15. Widders
16. Peter Johnston
17. Mares

parra pete

Referee
Paul Mares Neck injury..and I don't remember him being fat. He was good at putting up bombs (in games) (and off it if you know what I mean)...ha ha ha

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
1. Daniel Backo
2. Daniel Backo
3. Daniel Backo
4. Daniel Backo
5. Daniel Backo
6. Daniel Backo
7. Daniel Backo (C)
8. Daniel Backo
9. Daniel Backo
10. Daniel Backo
11. Daniel Backo
12. Daniel Backo
13. Daniel Backo

14. Daniel Backo
15. Daniel Backo
16. Daniel Backo
17. Daniel Backo

Dibs

Bench
1. Daniel Backo
2. Daniel Backo
3. Daniel Backo
4. Daniel Backo
5. Daniel Backo
6. Daniel Backo
7. Daniel Backo (C)
8. Daniel Backo
9. Daniel Backo
10. Daniel Backo
11. Daniel Backo
12. Daniel Backo
13. Daniel Backo

14. Daniel Backo
15. Daniel Backo
16. Daniel Backo
17. Daniel Backo
Who would you have as vice captain?

Gazzamatta

Coach
The Mayor
Semi
The Crow
Zip
Guru
Bert
Sterlo
Bear
Edge
Fui
Moby
Hindy
Pricey

Wynn
Lynch
Hambly
Hayne

T-Boon

Coach
1. Daniel Backo
2. Daniel Backo
3. Daniel Backo
4. Daniel Backo
5. Daniel Backo
6. Daniel Backo
7. Daniel Backo (C)
8. Daniel Backo
9. Daniel Backo
10. Daniel Backo
11. Daniel Backo
12. Daniel Backo
13. Daniel Backo

14. Daniel Backo
15. Daniel Backo
16. Daniel Backo
17. Daniel Backo

Haha. This is stupid, no way is Backo captain of that team. He is the least mobile 7 in his family.

Latest posts