What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Fights in League History

Parra_Eels

Bench
tallis smashing ross wasn't bad. also campion and webcke going at it a few years back at erricson was pretty good

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Walters Vs Elias- twice it happened.

1991- SFS Origin 2, that was after Geyer swung Steve Walters, and Boxhead didnt like it, which also lead to the Lewis/Geyer confrontation

1993- Lang Park, that was in between that Harragon/Bella brawl. Elias was like "give me my Australian jumper back".

Also the Sailor Vs MacDougall one at Marathon, 2001.

There wasnt much of a fight but there clashes were good to watch. :D

Special K

Coach
The one from S.O.O when all during the week NSW said they were going to start a biff with QLD. So first scrum comes around and it was on :lol: went for ages f**k it was good. I remember Hoppa was fighting his team mate from Manly :lol: :lol:

Azkatro

First Grade
As a Queenslander, Goddard's shot which broke Johns's jaw in '95 I think ranks very highly. Back then Johns was starting to get a real smarmy attitude about him and Goddard's input was highly welcomed.

Not the best fight obviously, but certainly one of the better individual hits.

If you're a fan of fights, it's a shame that Roberts was so good at keeping his cool. I've heard, and probably quite rightly, that guys like Sailor and Tallis used to back down if he reared up.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There's been plenty of good fights in SOO, the Hopoate one was with Danny Moore his Manly team-mate.

What about the one where Tallis and Terry Hill wanted to keep going, at Stadium Australia in 1999.

The 1991 SOO game 2 at the SFS, there was about 3 different fights, including the MG/Lewis one. I think MG caused all 3 of em. :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
Don't forget PJ's little help for Campo on Webcke. Quite beautiful to see a Queenslander hold his front row partner back while another Queensland decked him!

The best one for mine, not in terms of the rage in it, but the merit was Monty Betham v Adrian Morley on the Kiwis tour 2002. Morley tried a couple of soft cheap shots on Jerry Seu Seu, Betham went in and made sure Morley knew he was playing in a man's game and that Monty would seek him out if he tried it on again. Morley nearly had tears streaming out!

For pure brutality, he didn't really have much of a chance but, Monty Betham on Steve Reardon in that 24-24 all draw at the caketin where the Warriors came from 20 down with about 7-8 minutes to go only for Stacey Jones to miss a conversion right out in front.

Briza

Juniors
The Dawson Twins Minus 1 said:
Bowden Vs Broadhurst - 1981 Semi - Newtown Vs Manly

No other RL blue coomes close.

TDT-1

Bowden or Bugden?, anyway I remember all the fights mentioned here and this one is easily the best, it had headbutts elbows and all.

Both guys were talented Am Boxers as well.

Anonymous

Juniors
I hope we have a few of them hockey style blues. A few broken necks, severely lacerated faces, or perhaps even a nice on-field death will shut y'all up.

Dowling v Tamati - so funny

The most one sided happened last year in England between Craig Greenhill and Barry Ward in a St Helens v Hull match. Ward started it, Greenhill ended it. :lol:

JJ

Immortal
Dowling and Tamati was pretty fierce. (it was definitely Dowling - and although Tamati won on points, it was closer than lmany remember)

Roberts and Jack was disturbing - as I remember, Matthew Ridge was holding Garry Jack. Does anyone recall why Tigers players didn't stop it sooner?

JJ

Immortal

TDT-1

I didn't see that one, but hell Broadhurst is perhaps the toughest Kiwi league player ever!

***MH***

Bench
Blade said:
Its a Dogs World said:
Blade said:
rat said:
Can anybody tell me why Ian Roberts was so upset with Gary Jack that day? :?:

I may be wrong but I believe Jack made remarks (of a tasteless nature) about Roberts' sexuality during the match.....and righfully got his ass kicked!

I think it may have been due to a cheap shot to mathew ridge

That too!

:lol:

I remember a friend telling me several years ago about the story I posted. He read it from the book Roberts wrote.

finding.jpg
is ian roberts smelling his finger in that photo?

Southernsaint

Staff member

TDT-1

Funnily enough, there's a story on this in the "What Happened Next?" part of the Main Game lift-out in today's Telecrap...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Iafeta said:
Don't forget PJ's little help for Campo on Webcke. Quite beautiful to see a Queenslander hold his front row partner back while another Queensland decked him!

The best one for mine, not in terms of the rage in it, but the merit was Monty Betham v Adrian Morley on the Kiwis tour 2002. Morley tried a couple of soft cheap shots on Jerry Seu Seu, Betham went in and made sure Morley knew he was playing in a man's game and that Monty would seek him out if he tried it on again. Morley nearly had tears streaming out!

For pure brutality, he didn't really have much of a chance but, Monty Betham on Steve Reardon in that 24-24 all draw at the caketin where the Warriors came from 20 down with about 7-8 minutes to go only for Stacey Jones to miss a conversion right out in front.

Man that Betham on Morley one was great. I remember the camera panning out, and you could see Morley and SeuSeu wrestling around...and Monty just comes in and throws a colossal right hook into Morley's cheek. Adrian got up with a black eye. The Reardon one happened right in front of me at the caketin. I was in the front row...I had a good view of Monty's vicious uppercuts. Then he threw Anasta to the ground when he was trying to break it up.

I heard Tamati knocked Dowling out at the after function.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Maybe we should start a thread "most one-sided beatings", we could kick it off with:

Roberts on Jack
Betham on Reardon
Tallis on Ross
Guttenbeil on McGuire
Campion on Webcke

Latest posts