What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best NSW players to never play representative football?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
trying to think of nth qld candidates. Forgot mitchell sargent played CvC. matt ryan played origin in SL. Michael luck is a qlder.......Steve Southern, probably not high on the overall list though

Barkley

Bench
If you cannot make CvC at least once in your career then you are not worthy of talking about. CvC is a joke with how many players pull out and rookies are called in to fill the gaps.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If you cannot make CvC at least once in your career then you are not worthy of talking about. CvC is a joke with how many players pull out and rookies are called in to fill the gaps.

good one for another thread, shittest City and country 17 of all time (well in the nrl era anyway to make it easier because someone will bring up some bloke that got dragged from bush footy to play back in in the 60's), Mccrone captain

JJ

Immortal
Its fine if you disagree, but who else can you serve up?
Thread's already been answered - Inglis is the best NSW player to never play for NSW

If we're talking Origin, and you believe Inglis is a Queenslader, thenI'm thinking Craig Coleman

More recently it was probably Wade Graham. Preston Campbell Campbell probably close too

Mario Fenech only played one, I think, think David Peachey might have got one too - of not he's in the discussion.

Anyway, if we're talking origin then Robson is a waaaaay down the list

myrrh ken

First Grade
Not many to choose from according to OP's criteria. Mitchell Moses is best. Robbo is worst. Blake Ayshford somewhere in between.

Lambretta

First Grade
Jarrod Croker and Clint Eastwood says he'd be his first pick if he was managing the team

Did David Peachy or Preston Campbell ever play Origin?
They would both have been brilliant

myrrh ken

First Grade
Peach was picked for 1 solitary game (well except for SL). He was overlooked by players like Brasher (okay, fair enough), Robbie Ross, Brett Hodgson and even Mark effing Hughes. It was an indictment.

Presto got no love at all. Add to that Blacklock and you certainly have the basis of a Mundine-conspiracy.

kbw

Bench
Preston Campbell is a legend but I don't think good enough for Origin but he may well have torn it apart when he was at his peak.

Blacklock was a myth, only ever had big games when the rest of his team had already won
Sutton is an absolute Dud and should never be allowed near a SOO team

Alan Tougue was the unluckiest in my opinion

myrrh ken

First Grade
Sure, there was some concern that Blacklock was small, went missing, etc. But was he better than Jason Moodie or Darren Albert? Probably.

IDK Presto was the same height as Matt Bowen, who did alright for the derpers for a couple of years. Smaller gut though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Alan Tongue was severely overrated by Raiders fans, he had pretty much zero attacking game. Great workhorse but not close to an Origin level player.

JJ

Immortal
Col Van der Voort warrants a mention - absolute machine, bad injuries and a great player named Brad Clyde kept him from the NSW team

kbw

Bench
Alan Tongue was severely overrated by Raiders fans, he had pretty much zero attacking game. Great workhorse but not close to an Origin level player.

You don't always need a great attacking game. Look at Dallas Johnson.

Lambretta

First Grade
Preston Campbell would have carved them up - if Alfie Langer was big enough for Origin, then Preston was. Sure they played different positions, but he had the ability and didn't lack heart.

Preston was unlucky that he could have played a similar role to Craig Wing and Wing was the better option.

However I am sure there was a time when Wing was unavailable and Preston should have had a go

Lambretta

First Grade
Blacklock was a myth, only ever had big games when the rest of his team had already won

Blacklock played for St George - at times NSW picked some absolute donkeys from St George. I was always amazed that NSW didn't pick Blacklock given their penchant for anything mediocre from Kogarah.

It's why I always believed the conspiracy against Aboriginal players. Timmins over Mundine at five eighth. Seriously?

taxidriver

Coach
Preston Campbell is a legend but I don't think good enough for Origin but he may well have torn it apart when he was at his peak.

Sutton is an absolute Dud and should never be allowed near a SOO team

Alan Tougue was the unluckiest in my opinion

120 tries in 137 games for the dragons, competitions top try scorer 3 seasons running, first player to score 20plus tries 4 seasons running, 3 times winger of the year all suggest you aren't a very astute judge