What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bash League 2012/13

beads6

First Grade
Heat are signing Kemar Roach. I thought they need more batsmen TBH but he is a great signing.

Patorick

Staff member
Heat are signing Kemar Roach. I thought they need more batsmen TBH but he is a great signing.
Confirmed.

Sixers have signed Sunil Narine, Brett Lee, Steve Smith, Dom Thornely and Ian Moran.

Signing window period ends today, btw.

Earl

Coach
Is Shane Watson the most un-loyal athlete in Australian Sport?

QLD :arrow: TAS :arrow: QLD :arrow: NSW :arrow: Birsbane Heat

beads6

First Grade
Is Shane Watson the most un-loyal athlete in Australian Sport?

QLD :arrow: TAS :arrow: QLD :arrow: NSW :arrow: Birsbane Heat

This is a very uneducated post. If you actually knew something you would know there is a fairly good reason behind all of Watson's moves.

Patorick

Staff member
Kieron Pollard signs with Adelaide.

Darren Pattinson signs with the Renegades.

Peter Forrest and Cameron Gannon confirmed for Brisbane.

Hallatia

Referee
updated first post and corrected some errors (misunderstood what I read yesterday and hadn't cross-checked)

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/domestic-cricket/sydney-thunder-re-sign-chris-gayle-secure-shahid-afridi-for-2012-kfc-t20-big-bash-league/story-fn5k3es5-1226432998096

Sydney Thunder re-sign Chris Gayle, secure Shahid Afridi for 2012 KFC T20 Big Bash League..

By Staff Writers FOX SPORTS July 23, 2012 4:00PM

Sydney Thunder have signed two of the biggest trump cards in Twenty20 cricket for the Big Bash League with Chris Gayle returning and Shahid Afridi making the switch to Homebush.

After recruiting mainly young local talent at the start of the signing window, the Thunder have brought in the star power with Gayle and Afridi - two of the great entertainers in world cricket.

West Indies powerhouse Gayle starred with the bat for the Thunder last season, while Pakistani all-rounder Afridi finished amongst the league's top-10 wicket-takers playing for the Melbourne Renegades in 2011-12.

They will add some much needed presence to the Thunder line-up as proven match-winners.

Gayle's unbeaten century off just 54 deliveries, including 11 sixes, clinched a win for the Thunder over Adelaide last year and was a season highlight.

He scored 252 runs for the Thunder averaging 42 and hit the most sixes in the BBL with 22.

Gayle is arguably the best T20 player there's been and coach Shane Duff is delighted to have him back in lime green.

"Along with David Warner, Chris Gayle is the best T20 player in the world, and I am sure the fans of Sydney Thunder will be excited to come to ANZ Stadium to watch him play again. For many of the players it will be a unique experience to play in the same team and have the chance to learn from the great man," said Duff.

Gayle said he always planned to return to the western Sydney team.

"I love Sydney, so I cannot wait to get amongst the guys again," he said.

Like Gayle, Afridi is vastly experienced in the short form of the game, having played 110 matches.

The mercurial talent can win games with either bat or ball and is looking forward to playing for the Thunder.

"I was approached by a few teams in the BBL and opted for Sydney Thunder as I feel there is a real drive and passion to be successful this time around, and this is something I want to be part of," said Afridi.

Hallatia

Referee
Pietersen linked with BBL deal
George Dobell
July 28, 2012

Kevin Pietersen is believed to be considering a deal to play in the Big Bash League, with Melbourne Renegades and both Sydney sides - the Sixers and the Thunder - hoping to secure his signature.

According to reports in the Sydney Morning Herald, Cricket Australia is also considering employing Pietersen, the England Test batsman, in an ambassadorial role to help promote the competition. Such a move would help circumvent the league salary cap, with Shane Warne employed on a similar basis during the last BBL.

"We're aware that he is interested and we're aware that a couple of teams at least are talking to him, and we're very hopeful that he will sign with a team and play after Christmas," Mike McKenna, Cricket Australia's commercial general manager and the project manager of the BBL, said. "He is definitely one of the top three or four global cricket stars at the moment. He's an explosive batsman, can bowl, and he would bring a charisma to the Big Bash League that would excite us and excite the fans.

"The teams have a salary cap and it's up to them to make sure he's being paid well enough to justify him coming here to play; the issue for us is whether there's a role he can play in promoting the Big Bash League."

Pietersen, player of the tournament when England won the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean in 2010, announced his retirement from limited-overs international cricket at the end of May, citing a desire to rest and spend more time with his family. He was subsequently omitted from the 30-man preliminary squad for this year's World T20 - though he can be added to that squad without any complication up until August 18.

While England have no Test commitments in January - they will be engaged in an ODI tour of India - news that Pietersen is considering playing in the BBL will do nothing to dissuade those who believe his international retirement was motivated more by a desire to earn than a desire to rest. Certainly it would be hard to square his comments with his actions: Pietersen has taken several opportunities to criticise England's hectic international schedule and, only a few weeks ago, he insisted "I'm not playing the Big Bash".

Since then it also has emerged that he told the ECB that he would like to spend extra time playing in the IPL (which runs from April 3 to May 26 in 2013), threatening his involvement in next May's Test series between England and New Zealand.
Sauce

Patorick

Staff member
024560-dave-warner.jpg

Patorick

Staff member
Don't know if Scott Styris has made himself available, but if he has someone's got to throw some coins his way after that innings the other morning for Sussex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCM5CTaJhc
:D

The New Zealand batsman Scott Styris will play in the Big Bash League this season as the second international player for the Hobart Hurricanes. Styris, 37, retired from international cricket last year but has remained a useful Twenty20 player in domestic competitions around the world, having played for two IPL franchises, the Sylhet Royals in Bangladesh and this year for Sussex in England's county competition.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/576554.html

Hallatia

Referee
I had a feeling that his fame coupled with his love of cricket might get him a gig like this
Usain Bolt open to playing in BBL
ESPNcricinfo staff
August 13, 2012

Usain Bolt has spoken of his desire to play in the Big Bash League this year, and the Melbourne Stars are keeping the door open to potentially sign him. The possibility was first raised in June when Bolt was interviewed on Australian TV by Eddie McGuire, a presenter who is also the Stars president, and the team's marquee player Shane Warne has also asked Bolt whether he was interested.

Fresh from an Olympic campaign in which he won three gold medals, Bolt said at the weekend he was still open to the idea. "He [Shane Warne] contacted me and asked me about if I am serious and if I really want to do it then he can put in a few words that should get it done," Bolt said on Channel Nine.

"So we will see if I get the time off. I will try. Twenty20, I love it. Just the fact that it is so exciting, it's about going hard the whole time, not just about playing shots. It's about being aggressive and I like that style of batsman. If I get the chance I will definitely try because I know it's going to be a lot of fun. I don't know how good I am. I will probably have to get a lot of practice in."

One of the major issues would be whether Bolt could hold his own as a cricketer. Although he played junior cricket and famously bowled Chris Gayle in a charity match in Jamaica in 2009, facing the likes of Brett Lee and Pat Cummins would be another matter entirely.

In 2006-07, the rugby league star Andrew Johns turned out in two Big Bash matches for New South Wales in an effort to boost crowd numbers and attention for the competition, but the move backfired for the Blues. On debut, Johns batted at No.11 and was at the crease when New South Wales needed 13 from the final over to win, but his partner Simon Katich refused to put him on strike and the Blues lost.

The stakes have risen considerably since then, with the eight BBL franchises all competing not only for the trophy but also for two spots at the Champions League T20, where the winning team earns $2.5 million in prize money. Cricket Australia is cautious about the idea of Bolt playing in the BBL, declaring that the competition has moved past the "novelty factor" and that he would need to be able to play to the appropriate standard, but the Stars remain keen on the idea.

"We're going to wait until the Olympics is over and re-engage with him and his management company," Clint Cooper, the Stars CEO told the Sydney Morning Herald. "We've got a couple of spots left on our list."
Sauce

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he also wants to play in the premier league

he'd probably go OK on the quick singles

Latest posts