What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big League - The NRLUS is dead

coach

Big League, Australias leading Rugby League publication has said the following about the NRLUS.

Unfortunately the concept of a professional United States-based league that could attract top-shelf players from England and Australia has fallen flat. But there's still interest in the game there, with former Newtown lower-grader Luke Hume among those giving it a go. Despite not earning any money with his side the New York Knights, Hume is enjoying playing his trade in the Big Apple. The Dragons junior has scored 12 tries in two games.

I am not able to find an electronic copy of this article. But I have copied here word-for-word from the magazine.

coach

I bet you are struggling to contain your excitement 'coach'.

It would have been great for such a league to get up and running in the US. Just imagine the shot in the arm the game internationally would have recieved.

Its just that I always had doubts that it could work. Rugby League is not even the smallest of blips on the sporting radar in the US. Most people who think they know of the game are actually thinking of Rugby Union. To do what they were trying to do I believe was just never going to work. Its like moving from the basement to the penthouse in one jump. Forgetting about all the floors in between.

Take a look at the AMNRL where some of the clubs are really struggling to put teams together for matches. And what about Luke Hume. Have you ever heard of him? I haven't and yet he is a start of the US competition.

Yet within 12 months they wanted to get a professional competition up and running.

roopy

Referee
I suppose the positive is that nearly all league fans now know league is played in the US and many players have thought about going over for a run, and some are going just for the experience.

I'm sure they'll have big plans again next year, and some day it will happen.

18to87

First Grade
Rugby League is not even the smallest of blips on the sporting radar in the US. Most people who think they know of the game are actually thinking of Rugby Union.

I have lived in the States for 3.5 years now and this is spot on. I just don't even bother trying to explain to anyone the difference between Union and League because they just can't wrap their heads around their being two types of Rugby. I tell them I used to play Rugby League and they think I am talking about Union, the few that I try to explain the difference to - lose interest quickly.

Rugby Union has a decent following here especially on the West Coast (haven't really spent much time on the east coast yet). A lot of colleges have teams and can pull a crowd big enough to stand around most of the field.

Would love to see Rugby League get a decent following here.

saint-colesy

Juniors
This has given me inspiriration to go to the USA and play league, i'd be the best player in the league. :lol:

coach

I suppose the positive is that nearly all league fans now know league is played in the US and many players have thought about going over for a run, and some are going just for the experience.

I'm sure they'll have big plans again next year, and some day it will happen.

Roopy I believe every league fan does hopes the game will take off in the US. Yeah they may try again next season and good luck to them if they do.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I have lived in the States for 3.5 years now and this is spot on. I just don't even bother trying to explain to anyone the difference between Union and League because they just can't wrap their heads around their being two types of Rugby. I tell them I used to play Rugby League and they think I am talking about Union, the few that I try to explain the difference to - lose interest quickly.

Rugby Union has a decent following here especially on the West Coast (haven't really spent much time on the east coast yet). A lot of colleges have teams and can pull a crowd big enough to stand around most of the field.

Would love to see Rugby League get a decent following here.

I'd be inclined to describe League to them as "similar to Union, but with a few rule changes that make it more like NFL".

It's true, since the six tackle sets more closely resemble their four downs and the defensive line sets between plays. Line outs, scrums and the kicking rules in Union are completely different from their game.

:crazy:What were they thinking anyway. The US has a major economic crisis on its hands so the time for speculative investments was always going to be a struggle. In the meantime lets hope the current competition can continue to build and grow. Good luck to all those who are over there and trying to make it happen because you are what makes our game so great

:crazy:What were they thinking anyway. The US has a major economic crisis on its hands so the time for speculative investments was always going to be a struggle. In the meantime lets hope the current competition can continue to build and grow. Good luck to all those who are over there and trying to make it happen because you are what makes our game so great

I have to agree with this. A bad time for finding investors and sponsors - I would say that's why it didn't happen.

In better times we may see this succeed.

coach said:
And what about Luke Hume. Have you ever heard of him? I haven't and yet he is a start of the US competition.

How is it relevant whether we've heard of him or not? Who do you expect to find playing in these amateur competitions? :? I would have thought having a player over there who has grown up with the game and was a Junior District Rep is a positive - not something to use to bash the AMNRL.

coach

How is it relevant whether we've heard of him or not? Who do you expect to find playing in these amateur competitions? :? I would have thought having a player over there who has grown up with the game and was a Junior District Rep is a positive - not something to use to bash the AMNRL.

Not bashing the AMNRL who do a fine job. Just saying that when you have an Australian player that no one here has heard of as a star player, then it shows the standard of player in the competition.

If a professional league is ever to take off over there then its going need a huge influx of Australian and English players for it to succeed

deluded pom?

Coach
Not bashing the AMNRL who do a fine job. Just saying that when you have an Australian player that no one here has heard of as a star player, then it shows the standard of player in the competition.

Hume has actually scored 12 tries in 3 games.Who do you expect to play in the US? Lockyer? Slater? There's no money in rugby league in the States so you get players who want to see a bit of the world. Hume grew up playing the game and the majority of his team mates never. He will help their progress. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:

dimitri

First Grade
Im pretty sure Luke Hume went to Endeavour sports high and played some toyota cup for cronulla - if its the same person im thinking of.

winnyason

Juniors
go to nrlus forum there seems to be some info to it maybe it is not off some feedback from someone who has a source, the mystery continues.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Seeing the messages from that bloke on the NRLUS forum, I haven't given up hope. What he says about legal complications regarding a name clash with the NRL seem credible to me. Also, BigLeague wouldn't have any more idea about it than we do.

I'd interpret "fallen flat" as "stalled".

bowes

Juniors
Think more realistic would be to try to get a 6 team semi-pro east coast competition or something. Then AMNRL teams could potentially move up.