Bill Nye, The Not-So-Science Guy

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Collateral, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Collateral

Collateral Moderator Staff Member

http://www.dailywire.com/news/23377/bill-nye-not-so-science-guy-gets-slammed-and-its-hank-berrien

Bill Nye, The Not-So-Science Guy, Gets Slammed, And It's Pretty Great
    "You're a talented actor-comedian with an opinion ... and that's about it."
    [​IMG]
    John Lamparski/WireImage

ByHANK BERRIEN
    November 9, 2017
    369.8k views

One critic decided to slam Bill Nye, The Fake Science Guy, and it was quite a take-down.

Nye’s fraudulent posing as an expert on science has been pointed out for years. Here are a few examples of his scientific intelligence:

1. Arguing to Dan Rather that the more heat in the atmosphere, the stronger hurricanes are, confusing the atmosphere with the oceans.

2. Likening a New England mega-blizzard to hurricane Sandy, and implying both storms originated off the coast from Africa. As Jason Samenow of The Washington Post noted, “Sandy formed in the Caribbean (not from an African wave) and the blizzard formed off the Mid-Atlantic coast(from the merger of two North American disturbances).”

Samenow added, “Nye then draws an absurd comparison between East Coast storms and West Coast storms in an attempt to equate them.” Samenow commented that Nye’s rhetoric was “one of the most flawed discussions of meteorology I’ve ever seen on a national network.”

3. Nye posted a video regarding abortion in 2015 in which he argued that the pro-life position is false because "many, many, many, many more hundreds of eggs are fertilized than become humans," ignoring that humans are formed at fertilization. As The Daily Wire pointed out, his video was debunked here, hereand here.

4. Positing that quantum entanglement could pave the way for time travel, a concept that was eviscerated by Forbes's Chad Orzel.

John Coleman, the founder of The Weather Channel,told Climate Depot, "I have always been amazed that anyone would pay attention to Bill Nye, a pretend scientist in a bow tie. … As a man who has studied the science of meteorology for over 60 years and received the AMS (American Meteorological Society’s) 'Meteorologist of the Year' award, I am totally offended that Nye gets the press and media attention he does."

2. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

Lol...the right hates Bill Nye....what's new.

My kids at school like his shows because he's an educator foremost.....

And he's never claimed to be a scientist....just a Science Guy.

Speaking of anti-scientist that would be John Coleman....

It seems we can see what's behind this conservative attack on science.

Weather Channel Founder on Climate Change
    Comments by Weather Channel co-founder John Coleman supposedly refute global warming. Are his remarks an accurate analysis of climate change?

Both Fox News and CNN have recently invited John Coleman, one of the founders of The Weather Channel and former TV meteorologist, to express his views about climate change to their national audiences. Coleman is simply an awful choice to discuss this issue. He lacks credentials, many of his statements about climate change completely lack substance or mislead, and I’m not even sure he knows what he actually believes.

To begin, Coleman hasn’t published a single peer-reviewed paper pertaining to climate change science. His career, a successful and distinguished one, was in TV weather for over half a century, prior to his retirement in San Diego last April. If you watch Coleman on-camera, his skill is obvious. He speaks with authority, injects an irreverent sense of humor and knows how to connect with his viewer.

But a climate scientist, he is not.

His position further demonstrates an incredible lack of respect and regard for scores of intelligent, hard-working climate scientists, some of whom are politically conservative, who have dedicated their careers to objectively examining data and publishing research that indicate human-induced warming.

Moreover, much of Coleman’s criticism of climate change deals with impugning the motives of those engaged in that discipline rather than refuting the science behind their work:

For the many Americans who don’t understand the difference between weather — the short-term behavior of the atmosphere — and climate — the broader system in which weather happens — Coleman’s professional background made him a genuine authority on global warming. It was an impression that Coleman encouraged. Global warming “is not something you ‘believe in,'” he wrote in his essay. “It is science; the science of meteorology. This is my field of life-long expertise.”

Except that it wasn’t. Coleman had spent half a century in the trenches of TV weathercasting; he had once been an accredited meteorologist, and remained a virtuoso forecaster. But his work was more a highly technical art than a science. His degree, received fifty years earlier at the University of Illinois, was in journalism. And then there was the fact that the research that Coleman was rejecting wasn’t “the science of meteorology” at all — it was the science of climatology, a field in which Coleman had spent no time whatsoever.

Skepticism is, of course, the core value of scientific inquiry. But the essay that Coleman published would have more properly been termed rejectionism. Coleman wasn’t arguing against the integrity of a particular conclusion based on careful original research — something that would have constituted useful scientific skepticism. Instead, he went after the motives of the scientists themselves. Climate researchers, he wrote, “look askance at the rest of us, certain of their superiority. They respect government and disrespect business, particularly big business. They are environmentalists above all else.”

https://www.snopes.com/politics/science/coleman.asp

Oh and just on point 1

Warmer Seas Creating Stronger Hurricanes, Study Confirms

https://www.livescience.com/642-warmer-seas-creating-stronger-hurricanes-study-confirms.html

I could research the others but I'm a bit bored from kicking your arse.

OVP likes this.
  3. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Next you'll be telling me Simon Townsend didn't have a wonder world

veggiepatch1959 likes this.
  4. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! First Grade

The Right probably hates him as well.

OVP likes this.
  5. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

How could you hate this ?

6. RockWheel

RockWheel Juniors

partisan website outraged by host of children's tv show.

Apey and Mr Spock! like this.
  7. OVP

OVP Coach

Don't they hate everyone ? Even themselves.

Mr Spock! likes this.
  8. OVP

OVP Coach

I remember the rumours about him drugging the living shit out of his dog, Woodrow. I wonder if any of that was true.

9. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

He's not bill Cosby

10. Danish

Danish Referee

A children's TV host who is regularly wheeled out as an expert on all things scientific on adult news programs, from climate science to astrophysics to biology.

He hasn't actually done his kids TV show for almost 20 years. Its just the kids that used to watch him then are adults now and still see him as some sort of authority figure on science so he has managed to make himself continue to appear relevant.

Collateral likes this.
  11. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

One of the folks in the article says that bill nye getting attention offends him. Thats not false outrage at all.

Id recommend just not watching his shows if you dont like him

Mr Spock! likes this.
  12. Danish

Danish Referee

He doesn't really have his own shows anymore, and hasn't for decades (besides the netflix abomination, obviously).

The majority of Nye's appearances now are on mainstream news channels where he is often billed as a climate change expert, despite having no formal education in the field.

I would imagine many a scientist would feel somewhat aggrieved that they guy whose main claim to fame was teaching children extremely basic primary school science is the most called upon "expert" whenever anything sciencey comes up in the news, much in the same way having to listen to Erin Molan give her "expert" analysis on sport pisses of countless women who actually do follow sport.

Collateral likes this.
  13. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

Who gives a shit though ? Popular science is an art in its own. Dr karl is an example here.

Are you telling me danish that the media would rather hear from an entertainer with buckets of nostalgia appeal on an issue over a regular scientist? The media will tend to gravitate towards people they know can provide an entertaining performance over a random. I think anyone who doesnt get that is kind of silly

Especially the right wing sjw who was offended by bill nyes attention who is most famous as a tv weatherman

Mr Spock! and RockWheel like this.
  14. Danish

Danish Referee

We are talking about the news. Not entertainment. I would expect at least some reasoned decisions to be made to have actual experts in studio when discussing serious matters. If we are talking about some garbage panel show like the Project or a US equivalent like the View, then by all means wheel out the nostalgic clown. When the adults are talking though its time to find someone who is more knowledgeable.

As for Dr Karl, he is nothing like Bill Nye. For one, Dr Karl absolutely never talks down to anyone. He is utterly respectful of every caller I've ever heard him speak to, while still ensuring that incorrect opinions are responded to. He also holds multiple degrees in physics and medicine.

Bill Nye's speech just drips with arrogance and authority at all times. He is utterly incapable of reasoned debate. The guy is fraud. You mock the weather man who is having a sook, but he would still have a more informed opinion than Nye on the subject. Yet many a media outlets have penned articles denouncing his credentials while leaving Nye alone to preach his junk science.

I subscribe to Dr Tyson's podcast star talk, and whenever Nye appears the show is a complete dumpster fire. He drags down the intelligence of the show by abuot 100 IQ points.

Collateral likes this.
  15. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I mocked the weatherman for being a little outrage culture bitch

Again all i can say is that if you dont like bill nye dont watch or listen to shows or podcasts when he is on ???

Dr Karl started in popular science when he had a bachelor in science. Lots of popular science people don't have doctorates or whatever. I dont think Patrick moore for example even had a bachelor's degree and he presented the sky at night for like 53 years.

David Attenborough is like a titan of popular science and he "only" has a bachelor's

Mr Spock! likes this.
  16. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Dr Phil is not a real Doctor

Mr Spock! likes this.
  17. Danish

Danish Referee

I don't watch or listen to his entertainment shows. He does appear as a guest on news programs I do watch however, usually touted as an expert in various topics. When he does this, its clear the bloke has no actual intelligence of his own. Merely a parrot of info he has heard that suits his agenda.

Does the ABC tend to used Dr Karl during their news hour as an expert on anything? TBH I've only ever seen him make appearances on entertainment programs like Q&A. David Attenborough is a titan of documentaries, for certain. The soothing narrator of nature.

I can't say I've ever seen either of them try and shoe horn themselves in as experts on climate science or physics like Nye does with regularity.

18. Danish

Danish Referee

Dr Phil is harmless, besides the unrelenting yearning to kill one's self when you read that he pockets about $70 million per year.

Dr Oz is a much bigger problem. The bloke is an actual ER surgeon, but uses his show to flog the entire catalogue of pseudo-science.

19. Mong

Mong Immortal

FMD

Folk are easily outraged these days..

Mr Spock! likes this.
  20. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Not to worry, I'm sure the market will take care of this science guy fellow and his annoying opinions.

Mr Spock! likes this.