What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billionaire wants new NZ team

Special K

Coach
with more teams there is more money being thrown around at players, meaning more players would change clubs. Plus you'd also have good young players leaving stronger clubs for a chance to play week in and out. Then you would also have the players who want to return home and play for these teams.

If planned well then things should be apples, but if planned wrong then /somg!!!

Warriah!!!

Juniors
Believe me, I love the Warriors to bits. But do they come down here to Wellington.....NO!!!! Nor do they go anywhere else in NZ. Don't let the name fool you, the NZ Warriors are strictly Auckland.

I believe a 2nd NZ team could be well sustained here in Wellington. I just pray to God that they don't put the 2nd team down South if it should come to fruition. I would be one of the 1st to buy season tickets no matter who was in the team.

You don't just go and blow off a Billionaire if he wants to invest into your game. I think a 2nd NZ team could be very adequately sustained player-wise by the Bartercard cup and Aussie players.

It'd be a dream come true if a Wellington franchise was eventually set up.

ozbash

Referee
""On the side please tell me - where are the juniors going?""

well apart from the people Ali mentioned, there is the matter of the wellington schools supplying young talent to the broncos..
graham lowe has just recently done the same thing for a couple of auckland schools to supply manly ! manly, WTF would want to go and play for manly ? :x

look at the names in the qrl teams (who, by the way , have more scouts in nz than the nrl/esl combined)

the bartercard cup and fox mem finals had more aussie scouts than paying fans..(if the names are,nt there the fans wont show. look at this years npc)

nz is more than capable of supporting a 2nd team..

the team i feel sorry for is the nth sydney bears. i,d like to see them back.....

Bengal

Juniors
ozbash said:
""On the side please tell me - where are the juniors going?""

well apart from the people Ali mentioned, there is the matter of the wellington schools supplying young talent to the broncos..
graham lowe has just recently done the same thing for a couple of auckland schools to supply manly ! manly, WTF would want to go and play for manly ? :x

look at the names in the qrl teams (who, by the way , have more scouts in nz than the nrl/esl combined)

the bartercard cup and fox mem finals had more aussie scouts than paying fans..(if the names are,nt there the fans wont show. look at this years npc)

nz is more than capable of supporting a 2nd team..

the team i feel sorry for is the nth sydney bears. i,d like to see them back.....
Ooh my beloved Bears, now that would be a dream come true!

As for the juniors at least they’re not all going to rah rah land.

Still have to disagree with you in regards to a second kiwi team there’s not room in this country for them – yet!

Dogs Of War

Coach
from www.smh.com.au
In other news, the Bulldogs and Canberra appear unlikely to take future home matches against the Warriors to New Zealand. The Bulldogs have played the Warriors at Wellington's Westpac Stadium for the past three years, while the Raiders switched a home game there this season.

---------------------------------------

Is that cause the warriors are a bit of a drawcard now or due to the fact that the crowds have been ever decreasing each year? Either way their is going to be NO presence in Wellington unless some other team descides to play a match their. I think the NRL should make sure someone plays at least one match their a year, something I think all clubs should do ie give up at least one home match and play it somewhere else lwhere their is no NRL league team, like perth, adelaide, gold coast, darwin etc.

If a Wellington side had success on the park, trust me the Wellington people would get behind the team. It's not like Melborune. League has a presence in Welly.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Having a new team with buckets of $$$ will not equate to a winning team straight away ... look at how the Warriors started!!! (Enough said!)

I find it interesting that there have been four NRL games at Westpac Stadium in Wellington now and crowd numbers have decreased each time. The Warriors have definetly improved over the last few years and matches against the Bulldogs & Raiders should be a good contest. So why aren't people coming back??

I see a similarity with Melbourne in that several groups may jump up and say "We must have a team based in Wellington" - but until the local League fraternity and fan base start consistently saying the same thing it's probably best to hold off.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Is there any other kind of weather in Wellington? :lol:

But seriously, I'm not saying it won't work - I just hope if or when the decision is made the groundwork has been thoroughly laid first.

BTW, I would like to see at least one game in Wellington each year - even if the Warriors aren't involved. It's a great excuse for a weekend road-trip and piss up!! (Not at the same time of course!) :oops:

Warriah!!!

Juniors
Boy, I'm fuct off now :evil:

I sure hope the Bulldogs & Raiders didn't expect a "home game" atmosphere for themselves when they were playing against the Warriors. Wellington may hate Auckland but NZers love the Warriors.

It truly is a shame to know that there won't be a League game here next year. I was truly grateful to the Bulldogs & Raiders for sacrificing a home game to come here. I only wish the Warriors would follow their lead.

AuckMel

Bench
The Bulldogs and Raiders only went to Wellington for one reason, and that's for the money.

The fact they've pulled out after the Warriors received a bit more support than they'd hoped for has nothing to do with it.

They simply know now that a game against the Warriors at home will equal much the same revenue as a game in Wellington, and they'll have more support.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Bulldogs (at least) are locked into a contract for one more year. Just don't boo the poor buggers too hard next time.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Justanotherleaguefan said:
Also, I'm pretty sure the Bulldogs (at least) are locked into a contract for one more year. Just don't boo the poor buggers too hard next time.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right.

Lets face it though ... once the Warriors started improving it was always going to be a short term thing. The Bulldogs deal was arranged after 2000 when we finished 13th of 14. Drawing 7000 in Sydney vs drawing 20000 in Wellington is a pretty easy decision to make.

The Raiders deal, I'm sure, was only ever going to be a one-off. They had to get out of Canberra Stadium for that weekend and were attracted by the Bulldogs success over here.

Remember too that it's up to the management of Westpac Stadium or Wellington RL to attract these teams over here - no club in the NRL is going to give up a home game these days just for the hell of it! If the current deal is no longer good enough, then we either improve the offer or miss out. You can't blame the clubs for that.

Warriah!!!

Juniors
I'm just pissed off, that's all. I know all the reasons why the teams came here. I'm almost sure the Dogs have a year left to go. I'm going to be booing the shit out of them should they come back here next year just for not coming back here any more.

Very spiteful indeed.

I think another thing that works against us is the Stadium costs a bit to "hire". That is what "apparently" is putting the Warriors off coming down here amongst other things.

Bengal

Juniors
ali said:
On the side please tell me - where are the juniors going?

This is infact one of the main reasons why a second NZ team should be in the NRL immediately. Where are the juniors coming out of Auckland and NZ going to go, now that the Warriors have a top class, youngish, fully established squad? Obviously the Warriors will try to keep the absolute cream, but anyone else looking to play top flight Rugby League is forced to leave NZ. Or worse, they may decide to switch to Union and its large professional structure in NZ. There is definately enough talent coming out of NZ to support 2 teams. Look at this side of NZ juniors running around in top class sides. I'll put a W next to the ones who were once on the books of the Warriors.

1.Richie Barnett (Hull)
2.Lesley Vainikolo (Bradford) W
3.Paul Whateira (Penrith) W
4.Nigal Vagana Dogs) W
5.Tevita Vaikona (Bradford)
6.Robbie Paul (Bradford)
7.Henry Paul (Gloucester RU) W
13.Stephen Kearney (Melbourne) W
12.Joe Galavao (Penrith) W
11.Ruben Wiki (Canberra) W
10.Paul Rauhihi (Cowboys) W
9. Henry Peranara (Dragons) W
8. Joe Vagana (Bradford) W
14. Shontayne Hape (Bradford) W
15. Willie Talau (St Helens)
16. Michael Smith (Castleford)
17. David Vaeleki (Parra) W
18. David Solamona (Parra) W

What an incredable amount of talent that once were Warriors. Out of the above only 3 haven't played for the Kiwis. And remember the Warriors have only been around for 8 years.

Having a second NZ side will give even greater depth to the NZ Test team, by giving more opportunities to Kiwi Rl players. If the NRL is worried about losing revenue from this poker machine Tax in NSW, one way to get greater income is to strengthen the international side of the game. If we could develop a 3 Test series between Australia and NZ that is half as popular as the Bledislow Cup, then it will be a money spinner for RL. More money for the ARL makes them more self sufficient and maybe even one day we may have a case when the ARL can give the NRL a grant to distrbute to clubs. Greater international recogition leads to greater sponsorship opportunities.

I believe QLD needs another side, but we've done nothing up there for years, so not much more damage can be done. We need to get another side in NZ whilst the game over there continues to go up and up. If a Belgian Bilionare is keen to back this team, then I say get him involved right away.

With pommie clubs cutting the import quota for 5 to 3 over the next 2 years, there will be less of our players sucked over there for the pound. Talent wise I have no doubt within a few years the game can support 18 clubs. Wellington, the Gold Coast and one other should be admitted within 3 -5 years. Weelingotn for mine, ASAP.

Thats a mighty fine list of talent there!
How many of those players actually wanted to play for the Warriors?

Starting another NRL team simply because we have an over abundance of talent isn't a valid enough reason.
If it was, surely Brisbane would have another team in the NRL right now!
While on the subject of Brisbane (or shall I say the Broncos) I'd like to know what their reasons are for not being overly enthused about fielding another team in the NRL?

I totally agree with you about losing talent to Union, I'd hate to see that, however like a lot of things in League at the moment the support for the Warriors needs to consolidate first before we branch out again.

Whats that saying "learn to walk before you run" or something like that?

Mark Rudd

Juniors
" The Bulldogs deal was arranged after 2000 when we finished 13th of 14. Drawing 7000 in Sydney vs drawing 20000 in Wellington is a pretty easy decision to make."

Yes, the Bulldogs also find it easy to slide money under the table without anyone looking. It wasn't done for the good of the game. Only for more money. A far better thing the Bulldogs should've done was to take a game into 'NRL starved for stars' country areas and play a game.

20,000 in NZ makes more money than 7000 in SYD. But 5000 in the country does more for the game than $$$ in the Bulldogs pockets ever will.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Bengal said:
While on the subject of Brisbane (or shall I say the Broncos) I'd like to know what their reasons are for not being overly enthused about fielding another team in the NRL?
Doesn't it have something to do with competition?? The Broncos want to hog all the best players for themselves rather than have to compete with another club for talent ... or something like that.
Mark Rudd said:
20,000 in NZ makes more money than 7000 in SYD. But 5000 in the country does more for the game than $$$ in the Bulldogs pockets ever will.
Agreed, but isn't it up to the NRL to promote these kind of things? The best idea (not sure if it still happens!) is for teams on the bye to 'go bush' for promotions. I just don't think that teams will do this kind of stuff off their own bat.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Why does it always have to be up to the NRL to do things? Thats the trouble with the game. No one wants to do something different unless asked.

ALL clubs need to show a little leadership in promoting the game.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
A BILLIONARE loves RL and wants to get involved. Geez. Get em in quick! A second NZ team is far too early right now. A second Brisbane team is BADLY needed. On the north side of the city with a 25-30,000 seat stadium.

Get the guy to fund it by golly.

Latest posts