What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater retires

King hit

Coach
Never was a fan of his dirty tactics and diving of late but I will give him credit. He is the best fullback I’ve seen with almost no peer apart from Mini pre 2006 and Hayne in full flight, and you could argue the best of all time. The way he came back last year after spending a year on the sideline won respect from me. Ken Irvine’s record will still stand.

Congrats Billy on a great career

Edit: I forgot about Matty Bowen as being a great fullback I’ve seen

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Without question the best fullback I've ever seen (others have approached his level briefly) - a great career, and continued developing his game right until the end

Of course, a grub at times, and the line about changing the way fullbacks play is amusing - he simply played better than the rest of them!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Great player, future immortal.

Was able to change from speed demon finisher to playmaker as he got older.

Yet, I'm glad that I'll never have to see his smug merkin mug on the field again.

Lambretta

First Grade
Billy+Slater+David+Klemmer+Melbourne+Storm+Rd32Iq_4aV2l.jpg

0db8d3dd169527255e5bb37e81976194

That filthy dog is trying to eat Billys foot
Penalty to the Storm

Lambretta

First Grade
Great fullbacks I have seen play

Slater, Lockyer, Mini, Hayne, Bowen, Inglis & B Stewart

Mini, Bowen and Hayne were all brilliant, but not over the length of time that Billy managed it
He has been playing full back in the first grade for 15 years....... 15 years - and he is still great

Mini was great for 4 or 5 years
Stewart was great at Brookvale for 4 or 5 years
Bowen was great for 3 or 4 years
Inglis was great for 2 or 3 years (admittedly, he was amazing for years in the centres as well)
Hayne was great for 4 or 5 months

But no one, absolutely no one has been anywhere near as good as Billy for as long as Billy

Lockyer was the only one who comes close, but he moved to five eighth, so whilst he played for a long time, his tenure as great fullback wasn't anywhere near as long as Billy's

_Johnsy

Referee
The best fullback I have seen play. Teflon coated, should have spent at least an additional 10-20 weeks suspension over his career. Always had a bit of the grubs about him.

Let the media circlejerk begin.

carcharias

Immortal
He nearly kicked a dogs player in the face last week.
The 2 penalties in a row he milked
The first one he lashed out with his foot.

Billythekid

First Grade
One of the all time greats and arguably the best fullback to ever play the game. The best part is just how much salt his success has brought to this forum. No matter how much you guys whinge and try and change history Slater will be remembered as one of the best players to ever lace a boot.

_Johnsy

Referee
One of the all time greats and arguably the best fullback to ever play the game. The best part is just how much salt his success has brought to this forum. No matter how much you guys whinge and try and change history Slater will be remembered as one of the best players to ever lace a boot.
Not many are doubting his footballing talent or ability in any way. Trying to paint it in that light is petulant. Are fans of the this forum obliged to gloss over the negatives of his game that are 100% accurate?

Latest posts