What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird faces 12 weeks out

skeepe

Immortal
THE Sharks' Greg Bird could be facing up to 12 weeks on the sidelines for kneeing South Sydney's Shane Marteene in the head after the National Rugby League completed its review of weekend games today.

Bird was ordered to front the judiciary on Wednesday night and was denied the opportunity for an early plea because of the seriousness of the case.

A contrite Bird is seeking to apologise to the Rabbitohs wing and has said his brutal action was completely out of character.

He could also face disciplinary action from his club.

Sydney Roosters will be without Adrian Morley for at least one week and Stuart Webb will be sidelined for a minimum of three after being charged with careless high tackles of varying degree in the loss to Penrith.

The Panther's Luke Lewis is expected to cop an early guilty plea for a dangerous throw in the same match and will not miss a game as the offence loading of 93 points is not sufficient to warrant a week off. One hundred points is required for one week's suspension.

Cronulla Jason Stevens will miss at least one game after being charged with tripping in the Sharks' loss to Souths.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9194996-23210,00.html

skeepe

Immortal
Agreed. Now I know Roosters supporters will just accuse me of Rooster bashing, but I thought that Hodges and Crocker might have been in a bit of strife as well. Hodges hit Girdler in the face, but I guess that isn't high. Crocker was attacking the head of a player - didn't someone (perhaps a Tigers or Knights player) get suspended for doing exactly the same thing a season or two ago? Or am I imagining things?

bazza

Immortal
12 weeks = half the season

Sounds fair enough

Luckily for Bird the player wasn't injured

Cupid Stunt

What did Rauhihi get for his knee on Hoppa?

Speaking of Hodges, I respect his ability on the field but he must be a leading contender for biggest cat/cheap shot merchant in the game?

Cupid Stunt

I dont care if the rumour was he was hiding Weapons Of Mass Destruction up Rauhihi's coight, end of the day a knee is a knee & whats good for one is... #-o

Precedents are a wonderous thing. :D

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
Cupid Stunt said:
I dont care if the rumour was he was hiding Weapons Of Mass Destruction up Rauhihi's coight, end of the day a knee is a knee & whats good for one is... #-o

Precedents are a wonderous thing. :D

Bird's knee was ten times worse than Rauhihi's.

Birds knee was ugly and pretty much uncalled for. From what he has said in the media he doesn't even know why he did it...sadly for him, a moment of madness may cost him his career. A long suspension brings a stigma that is hard to shake off and he will be getting baited every game he plays from now on...and if it was frustrations fault, then he is in for a fair bit of it around Cronulla!

Cupid Stunt

Pensacola Q.C said:
Bird's knee was ten times worse than Rauhihi's.

Are you serious? A dodgy thing like kneeing an unsuspecting person in the head can be classed differently? I've heard it all now if you think one is in any way more easily accepted than the other... ](*,)

Johns Magic

Referee
Crocker was attacking the head of a player - didn't someone (perhaps a Tigers or Knights player) get suspended for doing exactly the same thing a season or two ago? Or am I imagining things?

No you are not imagining things. Josh Perry got 1 week's suspension last season for "Face massaging" Terry Hill

fatshark

Bench
Yes Bird deserves a fair amount of time on the sidelines, but 12 weeks is a bit overboard. It was totally out of character for the young bloke.
What he did was stupid and cowardly, but how long is it going to be before we see Morley make mince meat out of someones head.? Will it take another heavy belting like a the young bloke Ritson copped some years back?
Everyone knows Morley is a dirty player, everyone sees what he does week in week out. Yet the bloke cops a slap on the wrist all the time.
Im sure Martinee woke up with a saw head, lets hope the next bloke that cops a Morley coat hanger wakes up in a normal state. :cry:

Big Bunny

Juniors
fatshark said:
Yes Bird deserves a fair amount of time on the sidelines, but 12 weeks is a bit overboard. It was totally out of character for the young bloke.
What he did was stupid and cowardly, but how long is it going to be before we see Morley make mince meat out of someones head.? Will it take another heavy belting like a the young bloke Ritson copped some years back?
Everyone knows Morley is a dirty player, everyone sees what he does week in week out. Yet the bloke cops a slap on the wrist all the time.
Im sure Martinee woke up with a saw head, lets hope the next bloke that cops a Morley coat hanger wakes up in a normal state. :cry:

I'm usually a top bloke, but if I broke a cricket bat in half by trying to wrap it around your legs do you reckon I should be let off lightly?

If you have a problem with Morely, then state that case rather than having it muddy your point.

Bird should consider himself lucky that he isn't facing criminal charges, let alone a suspension.

Meth

Staff member
I saw it last night.

Bird deserves 12 weeks.

How did he think he was going to get away with blatantly kneeing a players head? It doesn't matter whether he's a young bloke or not, if you haven't learnt that that sort of thing is not on in football by the time you get to the big leagues, you have to learn the hard way.