What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird to be SOO 5/8

imasharkie

Coach
Player power dooms Anasta

By Paul Kent | May 12, 2008 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

PLAYER power will ensure Greg Bird is selected ahead of Braith Anasta when Blues selectors sit down tomorrow, despite a late push by Anasta supporters. Anasta has been in superb form throughout the first eight rounds, but his NSW bid was undermined by a massive jolt before the recent City-Country game when Country players left no doubt they would prefer to play alongside Bird.
The reaction shocked Country officials, which further undermined Anasta when NSW selectors got wind of the discussion.
The result is Bird will be selected in the NSW No. 6 tomorrow. The decision goes back to the popular belief that NRL football is different to Origin football, with form not necessarily transferring from one to the other.
"It wasn't a heavy go but the impression you got was that people still have their doubts about him," a Country player revealed last night.
Related Links

The airing came when the Country coach Laurie Daley asked his team what they thought of City's players as the countdown to the match got under way.
It is a common practice among representative teams.
Several years ago NSW players were shocked when Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley were particularly damning of their then-Bulldog teammate Steve Price during a similar think-tank before Origin.
The Country player said the opinions given on each of the City players were not unusual, and that they expected City had a similar think-tank on the Country team. Players are often brutally honest in their assessments of rival players, even if they are teammates in club football.
He said the support for Bird was strong even though he is not a natural five-eighth.
"When you're in these teams you're expected to be honest and open and give your own impressions on strengths and weaknesses of the players," the player said.
"The coach can give his input but so can the players.
"You get feedback and a guide on what players think about other players.
"The general feeling on Braith was that he has got errors in his game, that you can force him and he can be put under pressure.
"He isn't reliable."
The news will be a disappointment to Anasta, who since booming on the scene in 2000 when he represented Australia has worked hard to overcome criticisms, many unnecessarily personal.
Roosters teammate Willie Mason, along with coach Brad Fittler and club advisor Phil Gould, all came out in support of Anasta yesterday after he again played strongly for the Roosters on Saturday night.
It is unlikely to be enough, though.
While Bird more often plays lock for his club team Cronulla, he was five-eighth for Australia in last Friday's Test win over New Zealand and was man of the match in his previous two representative games, last year's Test win over the Kiwis and the final State of Origin game.
Both times he was playing five-eighth.
He said yesterday he wanted to be considered at five-eighth for the Blues.
"I am still adamant I really want to play five-eighth for NSW if that is the way selectors want to go," he said.
"I wouldn't say that I really put my claims forward after the Centenary Test because I didn't have quite as dominant game as I would have liked.
"If we (Kurt Gidley and Bird) both get selected then I believe that both him and I can work towards a strong combination."
Anasta's problem stems from the fact Origin football is viewed differently to NRL football.
The team will be announced at 10am tomorrow.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23680840-5006066,00.html

Feej

First Grade
Happy for Birdy, but gotta say that I think Anasta could be considered hard done by if he doesn't make the squad. From what I've seen of him this year he's been pretty impressive.

Heard the Wok pushing Anasta's barrow for selection at 5/8 on the weekend.

Purely for his kicking.

I suppose he'd look dumb pushing for him to play there for his attacking ability.

Hope the overated hack is nowhere near the Blues team.

He's a parasite.

spider

Coach
goose did his best in his article yesterday

in his influencial way saying how gallen to come of bench

and bird playing lock as he is not a natural ball player

looked pretty f**king natural last year in origin and the test

Yes because they play for the Sharks.

How ironic that he always insinuates selectors of being political when he's the biggest political animal that's been involved in the game of League.

The Dodger

First Grade
what i find funny is, that bird has an option of two different positions in origin.

how often does that happen?

Anasta, has failed every time at origin, but Gus continue pushing him from behind the scenes, only because he is a rooster.

Tupou just watch next year, Gus wont have you in any rep team

Feej

First Grade
If Bird played for the gooster's, Gould would have him at 5/8 *and* captain.

island pro

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Anasta is actually Gould's nephew or God son or something... I can't remember the exact link

DJShaksta

First Grade
I'm pretty sure Anasta is actually Gould's nephew or God son or something... I can't remember the exact link

One of the things in any Roosters players contract is that on signing you must be re-christened and have Gus Gould as your God Father.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Heard the Wok pushing Anasta's barrow for selection at 5/8 on the weekend.

Purely for his kicking.

I suppose he'd look dumb pushing for him to play there for his attacking ability.

Hope the overated hack is nowhere near the Blues team.

He's a parasite.

Geez your a f*ckwit...have u even watched the roosters play this year?

He is setting up tries left, right and centre u goose!

roopy

Referee
"If we (Kurt Gidley and Bird) both get selected then I believe that both him and I can work towards a strong combination."
That could well be the worst SOO halves combination of all time.
Bird at 7 and Kurt at 6 I say - that way your guy gets to be the scapegoat when someone realises neither of them are playmakers and both couldn't do a decent tactical kick to save their lives.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Is this the same Goose that has been spruiking off for years about how 13 and 6 are now basically the same position? Geez he's a phuqing nob.

That Bird isn't a ball player sh*t was being spread by Goose before the test as well.

Goose is the new breed of Gender Bender - the Agenda Bender!

Weaponhead

Coach
The concern with all of the possible combos for 6 and 7 is the kicking game. Gidley doesn't have a great kicking game, neither does Bird or Anasta. Stewart can't kick and Buderus isn't that effective out of dummy half.

The argument for Anasta on the basis of kicking game does not make sense. He can kick a long way but rarely finds the ground. Anasta is an indivualist who needs the team to play around him. Bird will slot into the team to play a role and brings others into the game ie Origin 3 and Tests.

Finch usually kicks well but his kicking game was poor yesterday. Charged down too often and found the fullback too much.

Kicking game will be the major headache for Bellamy this year.

Special K

Coach
He was also our player of the year that year. He was awesome after being dropped then he got a hospital ball from noddy and couldnt finish the year.