What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacklock's century

Anonymous

Juniors
While dealing with losing the game in Newcastle, it was overlooked that Nathan Blacklock's first try last night was his 100th in First Grade for the Dragons.

His second try brought up his First Grade tally to 101 tries for Saints in 113 matches.

His career total is now 102 tries in 118 matches.

Well done to Tingha on cracking the ton. :)

Kiwi

First Grade
Have to say that i'm amazed at how easily you back Blacklock after what he did.

Kiwi

First Grade
The way he left the club to sign with union. I know you're thinking Langer did the same, Langer "retired" mid season in 99, but when he decided he still wanted to play much later in the year he went to england with the Broncos blessings rather than come back to a winning Broncos team. Unlike Blacklock who wanted out for "personal reasons" and signed with union very very quickly.

Anonymous

Juniors
Kiwi said:
the way he left the club to sign with union

That old chestnut? LOL
It all was well covered at the time.

He sought a release and was granted it. He's not the first player to do so and won't be the last.

Same as any workplace or relationship. Sometimes people just need a break and if all parties agree that the door always remains then I can't see what the issue is... happens to the best of us.

It's up to the individual if they want to be worry about it. Quite frankly, the people who seem most worried about this are those who have the least to do with it.

I think Blacklock held up well considering all the personal trauma that was going on in his life. For me, it was great to see him back on an even keel.

But the main reason is pretty obvious as to why fans are happy to see Nathan back...
click:

Anonymous

Juniors
Kiwi said:
The way he left the club to sign with union. I know you're thinking Langer did the same, Langer "retired" mid season in 99, but when he decided he still wanted to play much later in the year he went to england with the Broncos blessings rather than come back to a winning Broncos team. Unlike Blacklock who wanted out for "personal reasons" and signed with union very very quickly.

Langer didn't even cross my mind... Hell... I know we all sometimes get funny about having words put into our mouths but thats a classic if I ever saw it. It's OK but you added all that other bit in after I made my previous reply.

It still stands that Blacklock and the club agreed to the release. Nothing to do with Langer. :lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
I guess if a Bronco bailed like he did with the amount of time left on his contract, signed a deal with a rival code almost straight away, then broke that contract, then wanted back at the Broncos, I'd want to see him play reserve grade for the rest of the year and earn a shot next year at best, but thats just me I guess.

Anonymous

Juniors
Kiwi said:
I guess if a Bronco bailed like he did with the amount of time left on his contract, signed a deal with a rival code almost straight away, then broke that contract, then wanted back at the Broncos, I'd want to see him play reserve grade for the rest of the year and earn a shot next year at best, but thats just me I guess.

Well thats your opinion but imo, we have to take each case on it's own merits. If only the world was so simple. Personally, I'd rather have Blacklock playing Union than playing with another NRL club.

Incidentially, Blacklock was told that he had to play his way in through reserve grade and he received no favours. As it turned out he played two games in the reserves and scored a few tries... then Amos Roberts got injured. Blacklock was simply the next best winger in the club. He scored another two tries last weekend so he may have just gained himself a regular spot in the first grade.

Additionally (and you may not know this), he came to the club for a song. Because of NSWRU payments already earned, he's only receiving something like $10,000 from Saints for the remainder of the season. When you think of it, Saints would be crazy to knock back a winger of Blacklock's class for that money. Its a no risk situation for St George. Given the amount of people lining up to watch the reserves match at Kogarah a few weeks ago, I'd say the club has already got their money back.

Only problem I see is what do we do with him next year? He will have to perform out of his skin for his manager to command any sort of leverage when negotiating for season 2004. It may be that he'll go on the open market although I understand that he only wants to play with St George and is keen to repay the faith the club had in him. Still, this is business and we'll have to wait and see.

The fact is, no one can afford to be too emotional when it comes to business. I know this is footy and the fans wear their hearts on their sleeves, but its ultimately up to the club to make the decisin and in theory at least, they try to base their decision on whats best for the club and the team. Doesn't always work that way but that is supposed to be the plan.

Green Eye

Juniors
Blacklock coming back to the dragons is the best thing that has happened to the club in a while. Spark like his will always bring out the best in the other players. Look at how John Ferguson played for the raiders. He inspired the rest of the team. Same for Noah. (just thought I would slip a plug in for the raiders willow) :D

Anonymous

Juniors
Green Eye said:
Blacklock coming back to the dragons is the best thing that has happened to the club in a while. Spark like his will always bring out the best in the other players. Look at how John Ferguson played for the raiders. He inspired the rest of the team. Same for Noah. (just thought I would slip a plug in for the raiders willow) :D

And great players as well, Green Eye... also players who have no doubt had their own dramas in life to deal with.

I know what you mean. There are some blokes who send an air of anticipation through the ground whenever they touch the ball.

When Blacklock announced that he was leaving, I went through a minor withdrawal. The next game, Saints as usual were trying to come back from behind and the other side were attacking their line. I found myself looking for Tingha to pull off one of his intercepts and run the length of the field to score. Took me a few seconds to remember that he wasn't with us anymore.

Green Eye

Juniors
That is exactly right. Some of the wingers mentioned just destroyed the defences of the opposing team and that is exactly what blacklock did and does.

I highly recommend to everyone to watch the 89 GF. Chicka was the slipperiest player I have ever seen.

Kiwi

First Grade
I guess looking at it that way, fair enough.

The real problem for the Dragons now is his defence. He may have scored a few against the Knights be he let in more than he scored and was out of place alot. He will obviously get better with each game, but with a tough run home he'll have to do that very quickly. the Dragons play Bribane twice, Knights again, Storm, Sharks, Warriors, Penrith, Cowboys, and the Raiders. Thats 9 tough games in the last 13, all teams who could really exploit Blacklock. Fortunately it's Souths and Manly next 2 games, so he could have it fixed by the time they play the Broncos.

Do you think it'll take him long to adjust in defence Willow?

Sticks

Juniors
My theory with the 'Blacklock's defensive weaknesses' is quite simple. He's paid to score tries....as Luke Bailey is paid to grind out meter's and tackle like a tyro. I can handle the old defensive lapse in order to see him go 90m under the posts when there is nothing on.

Anonymous

Juniors
Kiwi said:
I guess looking at it that way, fair enough.

The real problem for the Dragons now is his defence. He may have scored a few against the Knights be he let in more than he scored and was out of place alot. He will obviously get better with each game, but with a tough run home he'll have to do that very quickly. the Dragons play Bribane twice, Knights again, Storm, Sharks, Warriors, Penrith, Cowboys, and the Raiders. Thats 9 tough games in the last 13, all teams who could really exploit Blacklock. Fortunately it's Souths and Manly next 2 games, so he could have it fixed by the time they play the Broncos.

Do you think it'll take him long to adjust in defence Willow?

He'll get better as time goes on but I don't agree with the view that he is a poor defender.
I watch the Knights' game twice and I get the impression that the people who thought Blacklock let in tries were either watching a different game or are going on hearsay.

The Knights were constantly stacking the flank with extra men and creating overlaps. As it turned out, this was a match winning ploy because Blacklock was constantly faced with 3 or 4 attackers. I thought he could only get in the way of one man at a time but sometimes he backed up in cover as well.

The evidence is pretty clear by watching the game. Lance Thompson was often racing over to support the flank. This begs the question, if a backrower is attempting covering tackles, then where were the centres? If you're looking for defensive laspses, I suggest you have closer gander at the inside men. They were very slow to adapt to the Knight's game plan and were often hopelessly out of position.

It's interesting to note that Brent Kite isn't playing in the centres this week. In fact, he's been named as the 5th player on an interim bench.

salivor

First Grade
Sticks said:
My theory with the 'Blacklock's defensive weaknesses' is quite simple. He's paid to score tries....as Luke Bailey is paid to grind out meter's and tackle like a tyro. I can handle the old defensive lapse in order to see him go 90m under the posts when there is nothing on.

Hes paid to score tries yes but I think he was one of the main factors in St George losing that game to Newcastle. Johns and Newcastle exploited him all night continually attacking down his side of the field. He was caught in no mans land a few times. I don't ever remember his defence being that bad, its certainly going to take him a little while to settle back into league.

Anonymous

Juniors
bronco said:
Hes paid to score tries yes but I think he was one of the main factors in St George losing that game to Newcastle. Johns and Newcastle exploited him all night continually attacking down his side of the field. He was caught in no mans land a few times. I don't ever remember his defence being that bad, its certainly going to take him a little while to settle back into league.

](*,)

Sticks

Juniors
Bronco; Saint's went in with a match plan of a very compressed defensive line, long balls were always going to cause us striff. It worked well for a period but was finally fully exploited at the end. Mick DeVere would have had his hands full if thrown into the same scenario as Blacklock and Kite.

ps; Love the head on the brick wall Willow ;-)

salivor

First Grade
LOL, please don't utter DeVere and Blacklock in the same sentence, the rock deserves a bit more respect that that.

BTW, I thought the head against the wall emoticon was very appropriate willow. Thats what many of us have felt like when you've been talking about blacklock over the last couple of years :p .

Anonymous

Juniors
bronco said:
LOL, please don't utter DeVere and Blacklock in the same sentence, the rock deserves a bit more respect that that.

BTW, I thought the head against the wall emoticon was very appropriate willow. Thats what many of us have felt like when you've been talking about blacklock over the last couple of years :p .

LOL. You mean like the monotonous rattletrap about Blacklock's defence?

And regarding De Vere, he has nothing on Blacklock.

Latest posts