What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

TomRedVRiver

Bench

100% he's a gun!!

Would have been cheap as well, i'd say he will be Mose's replacement. Our forwards stocks are looking solid next year! Vaughan, Frizell, Thompson, De Belin, Sims, Ah Mau, Kerr, Sele, Leilua, Lawrie, Host.
Re-sign Packer and we're looking good.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons re-sign Blake Lawrie
Mon 1st May, 04:00PM
A A

Promising St George Illawarra front-rower Blake Lawrie has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

Lawrie's new deal will see him remain in the Red V jumper until the end of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The Dapto Canaries junior was this week selected to start for the Junior Kangaroos to play against New Zealand in Canberra, after a successful start to the year with the Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership side.

Still able to play in the Under-20s competition, Lawrie has also been named in coach Paul McGregor's 21-man NRL squad in recent weeks after completing his second first grade pre-season over summer.

The 20-year-old said he was excited to remain at the Dragons.

"The opportunity to put on the Red V jumper for another two seasons is something that I couldn't turn down," Lawrie said.

"The first grade front-rowers here at the moment are laying a good platform for me to learn from so I'm hoping to improve each week."

Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward was pleased to lock up another local junior beyond the current season.

"Blake has come through our junior ranks and is now making a big impact with Illawarra. He's a very powerful young boy and has a great attitude towards his training," Millward said.

"We're extremely delighted by Blake re-signing. It's a reward for him considering the way he made it through the pre-season and the way he's playing at the moment."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/01/dragons_re_sign_blak.html

twinkletoes

Juniors
All well and good to sign the upcoming juniors who will come through in another 2-3 seasons but if you can't keep the elite players like Dugan, Packer, Lafai, Mann and Milne etc we will be rebuilding for another 5 seasons...

possm

Coach
All well and good to sign the upcoming juniors who will come through in another 2-3 seasons but if you can't keep the elite players like Dugan, Packer, Lafai, Mann and Milne etc we will be rebuilding for another 5 seasons...
And when these juniors - guns - are finally ready for first grade, their 100k contracts will turn into the market price contract often outside of the Dragons cap limit.

I believe we should NEVER burn a season. Each season we should look to win the GF and we should keep our squad competitive so that we can do just that. This idea of 'building' for future years is absolute rubbish. A balance of great first grade players and some fringe junior forst grade players would be the ideal way to go.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra's Lawrie to fill void left by Frizell NRL absence
Local Sport
r0_265_4412_2755_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fighting for more: Blake Lawrie is the leading contender to replace Tyson Frziell on Thursday nigh. Picture: NRL Imagery/Greg Porteous.
Emerging St George Illawarra forward Blake Lawrie has vowed he is ready to step into the Dragons starting lineup on Thursday night.

With NSW and Australian star Tyson Frizell likely out for 4-6 weeks after undergoing testicle surgery on Saturday night, Lawrie is the leading contender to fill the number 13 jersey for the clash with South Sydney.

He credits a conversation over coffee with James Graham at the conclusion of last season with helping prepare him for this moment.

While not willing to go into too much detail about the contents of the chat, the 22-year-old said Graham let him know exactly what needed to be done over the pre-season if he was to become a permanent fixture in the Dragons lineup.

"I went for a coffee with him at the end of last year," Lawrie said. "We had a personal conversation about where I'm at, he told me what I needed to work on in the preseason.

"I was excited to have the chat with him, I was excited for what the outcome was. Hopefully I've done the work over the pre-season on the advice he's given me to be a regular first grader and help the team to get a result each and every week."

A highly-touted Dapto junior, Lawrie has been forced to bide his time throughout the past two years, playing just 16 games for the Dragons since making his NRL debut in round 17 2017.

While many young stars can get frustrated having to spend so much time in NSW Cup, Lawrie views that time as key to his development.

"You could say I've had to be patient, but you could also say I had a couple of things to work on as an individual. I've gone back to NSW Cup over the last two seasons, sort of worked on my game and tried to improve my whole game.

"I'm looking to lock down a top 17 spot for the rest of this year, play every game, that's one of my goals for the rest of the season."

Read more: Cowboys wrecking ball smashes through Dragonshttps://www.illawarramercury.com.au...recking-ball-smashes-through-dragons/?cs=3713

With the Dragons forward pack struck down by injury towards the back-end of last season, Lawrie was thrown into a key role in St George Illawarra's finals matches against the Broncos and Rabbitohs.

His showing at Suncorp Stadium against Brisbane was particularly impressive, with Lawrie helping the Dragons pack run rampant over the Broncos.

It was his performance in the two semi-finals, alongside his work on the training paddock, that has convinced his Dragons teammates he is capable of stepping up to the starting lineup, if given the chance by coach Paul McGregor.

"Blake is probably the best young forward we have here in the club," Paul Vaughan said. "Coming through, he's played all the junior reps, Junior 'Roos, NSW, he's a great trainer, big engine and a pretty tough front rower.

"He probably played the two best games I've seen him play in the finals last year, he had big shoes to fill and he stepped up and played really well.

"I think he's got a lot of confidence out of that and he'll be relishing the opportunity to get a start or have a bigger workload and show everyone what he can do."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...to-fill-void-left-by-frizells-absence/?cs=302

Frank Facer

First Grade
I didn't think Lawrie was going to become a regular starter in first grade until he played those 2 games in the finals. If he could play like that week in week out, he will make it, but that is a big if?