What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bledisloe

beave

Coach
Joke of a sport.

Other than Folau, what Wallaby out there would make an NRL first grade team let alone the Kangaroos?

saint.nick

Coach
Joke of a sport.

Other than Folau, what Wallaby out there would make an NRL first grade team let alone the Kangaroos?

Exactly. Most of Australia's best talent ends up playing NRL. The only people who want to play it are private school boys, who don't make up a significant percentage of young footy talent in the country.

Parra

Referee
Another solid NZ win. Wallabies were a rabble. Dan Carter doesn't have two off games in a row. Nonu makes a huge difference in that side and in the result.

AB's are going into the world cup as red hot favourites.

Last edited:

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Exactly. Most of Australia's best talent ends up playing NRL. The only people who want to play it are private school boys, who don't make up a significant percentage of young footy talent in the country.

^ This

The New Zealand rugby public and their officials at times don't seem to understand that Rugby is really our 5th most popular game and is usually seen as a GPS private school game. Rugby League, Aussie Rules, Cricket and soccer are bigger in terms of general interest and participation rates and as a result we are constantly battling with these codes for the best talent.

Whilst over the Tasman it's a religion and part of life

JJ

Immortal
Bledisloe hoodoo is kind of annoying though...

It's not a hoodoo, we're just very good at union - almost all the elite athletes play it, and it's (sadly) pretty much a religion here

McCaw's played 140+ tests, and won something like 89% of them - that's pretty staggering, especially given we play Aussie and the Jaapies so often... World CUp chokes aside, the All Blacks have been pretty impressive

Parra

Referee
The AB's are the benchmark for any national team. Any sport.

And excuses don't cut it. Rugby is is a sport played in plenty of countries. That aussies spend so much effort and talent on two sports that the rest of the world doesn't care about is our problem, not theirs.

shiznit

Coach
I wasn't all that impressed by the game TBH... I thought we still looked shaky at 10... DC just doesn't quite seem himself at the moment.

The big difference for us was Nonu... He's on another stratosphere to SBW...

Interesting what a difference 4 years makes... 4 years ago our back 3 who performed remarkably at the World Cup was Izzy Dagg, Corey Jane & Richard Kahui... Kahui is long gone... And after the way Millner-Skudder has played over the last 2 weeks I'd say both Dagg & Jane are going to be watching this World Cup on TV.

Nehe Millner-Skudder is unbelievable.. What a talent.

And of course congrats Richie... GOAT IMO...

ozbash

Referee
I reckon it was suicidal putting Quade Cooper in that Wallaby team.. he was history from when he ran out onto the field,, crowd got into his head,, again.

was anybodies game till the penalty try,, I wasnt overly confident up till then.

Parra

Referee
I wasn't all that impressed by the game TBH... I thought we still looked shaky at 10... DC just doesn't quite seem himself at the moment.

The big difference for us was Nonu... He's on another stratosphere to SBW...

Interesting what a difference 4 years makes... 4 years ago our back 3 who performed remarkably at the World Cup was Izzy Dagg, Corey Jane & Richard Kahui... Kahui is long gone... And after the way Millner-Skudder has played over the last 2 weeks I'd say both Dagg & Jane are going to be watching this World Cup on TV.

Nehe Millner-Skudder is unbelievable.. What a talent.

And of course congrats Richie... GOAT IMO...

I agree with all of this except for the concern about Dan Carter. He had a great game. He is slower than he was, but his choices and timing were spot on.

Wilson1

Juniors
Joke of a sport.

That doesn't make it a joke of a sport. All that shows is that rugby union is less popular in Australia than rugby league.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Who cares about Rugby

Diamonds > Whatever NZ Netball team is called

Boomers > Whatever NZ Basketball team is called

:cool:

saint.nick

Coach
I just don't see how any coach alone is going to lead Australia to a Bledisloe victory- no matter how good he is- not while the skill level of our players is seemingly so far below that of the All Blacks'. The only way we will win is either if the All Blacks have a remarkably off-form Bledisloe series, or we find a new golden generation like we had over a decade ago with the likes of Eales and Gregan. But right now, there are some absolute plodders in that team. Will Skelton is not an athlete.

I find World Cups more winnable because Australia is more than capable of beating the rest of the world. They can then either hope that the All Blacks choke against another team, or the All Blacks choke against Australia, like in 2003. Or maybe that's because we were just really good back then...

But given how boring Rugby is compared to the other codes these days, the game will really struggle to attract the best young talent in this country (i.e. the eastern seaboard).

ed313909

Juniors
^ This

The New Zealand rugby public and their officials at times don't seem to understand that Rugby is really our 5th most popular game and is usually seen as a GPS private school game. Rugby League, Aussie Rules, Cricket and soccer are bigger in terms of general interest and participation rates and as a result we are constantly battling with these codes for the best talent.

Whilst over the Tasman it's a religion and part of life

Netball has Rugby on participations rates and interest also...

RoosTah

Juniors
Joke of a sport.

Nonesense argument.

To put it another way, how many Kiwis would make the All Blacks? SBW is considered one of the best Kiwi RL players ever and he struggles to make the starting line up and is considered almost a liability by most kiwis.

RoosTah

Juniors
Who cares about Rugby

Diamonds > Whatever NZ Netball team is called

Boomers > Whatever NZ Basketball team is called

:cool:

You forgot to mention the Cricket World Cup Final :D .

That said, I'm seriously pissed we're not playing the Kiwis in League this year in a series.

Why oh why don't we play a 3 test series against them when our league tests rate better than the Bledisloe?