What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Elections

RUBIKS

Juniors
Former Sharks legend seeks board spot, raises development concerns

Former Australian international and Sharks legend Mark McGaw wants clarity on Cronulla's multi-million dollar development adjacent to their home ground after confirming he will seek election to the club's board next month.

McGaw's 11th hour nomination to run for one of five vacant positions on the Sharks' board ensured members would hit the ballot box for week-long voting next month.

McGaw, who won three caps for Australia and was a 13-time State of Origin representative, will join Darren McConnell, Craig Airey, Paul O'Neile, Gregg Taylor and Paul McCarthy seeking a variety of terms ranging from three years through to one.

And he's campaigning on the promise of finding out if the Sharks' much publicised Woolooware Bay precinct will be enough to financially prop up the club well into the future.

"Where is the construction of the club and the retail part of it at? Once the money is spent from the investment with no money and no land then how will the club survive? I want to see how the investment will be forthcoming in the future to sustain the club over the next 100 years," McGaw said.

McGaw sought election to the Sharks directorship as one of 24 candidates who contested the fierce post-ASADA 2013 ballot, which was eventually won by Damian Keogh's Unity ticket.

The Sharks snapped their premiership drought in 2016 under Keogh's reign, but he was forced to stand down as chairman when he pleaded guilty to drug charges last year.

McGaw now runs his own institute of sports science and has pledged to get a host of former Sharks stars back involved with the club.

"I know the football club has been going for 50 years and one of the big things about other clubs that stay successful and at the top is they have culture and they have history," McGaw said. "Sure, we've had 50 years of football players come through the club, but you walk into the club at Canterbury-Bankstown you bump into a player. They want to be there. At Cronulla you don't see them.

"When we won the minor premiership in 1988 we had 11 juniors in the side. They won a grand final in 2016 with one local junior - fine, that's great - but let's see where the club is going a year later. We need that passion and loyalty.

"Some of the things I want to see on the football side of things is it not just being a year-to-year thing. Where are we going to be next year? Where are we going to be in five years? Where are we going to be in 10 years? How do we achieve that? We need to set up the shire as a breeding ground for our future players.

"I'm only looking from the outside looking in and I don't know the intimate details of what is going on in the boardroom, but I think I've got a lot I can contribute.

"The whole idea of the rotary system is to provide change so there's no complacency and let fresh ideas come on. We've had the same board for four or five years and if I can be elected someone should probably replace me who can come on with fresh ideas in a couple of years."

The Sharks' AGM will be held on March 22.

Source

McGaw was a great Sharks player but his thinking is dinasour thinking.

If he thinks the biggest issue is how many juniors are in First Grade and getting former Sharks players back who have their noses out of joint with the Club then he should keep on walking.

He should be praising what Flanno and the board have achieved thus far in that we now have high quality players wanting to come to the Club, quality juniors emerging in abundance through great scouting, membership breaking records, a development that has delivered and will keep delivering.

When the Club was on their arse and struggling where were these fair weather former players??? They didn’t want to be associated with losers eh?

Now that the Club is powering on everyone wants a piece of the action.

Well jog on because we don’t need to listen to your backward thinking that would have never delivered our First Premiership.

Where were the former ex players? Well some were dying, some were in gettign daily treatment, some were battling alcoholism & brain injuries, some had moved interstate, mostly QLD & were incapable of assisting, The ones that were local & able to assist, probably didnt have the financial clout or time available to assist, as most had played for Cronulla for pocket money.
if you are following the controversy with his membership being rejected, you can only assume that something is amiss with things right now. A Sharkie the calibre of Mark Mcgaw, should never have to worry about whether he is a member or not. he earned life long status.
Mark is running as board member & is not promoting a ticket.
People who want to hold onto board positions so tightly, as inthose promoting a ticket, need to be scrutinised on why.
Right now, it appears that there are many secrets being held.
The least of those are what ex players etc think, as in the mcgaw article, but you somehow left out the important facts on why he is seeking election, in order to bag another great Shark.
If any of you guys are voting I urge you to put Mcgaw in.

the biggest thing is the development

where is the money for the retail side?
what is the current deal in place?
will this be a long term income stream as first delivered? or have things changed? if so..how did this happen? change to the deal was never put to the members.

what is the clubs long and short term plan given the NRL stadium stategy?

M2D2

Bench

If he thinks the biggest issue is how many juniors are in First Grade and getting former Sharks players back who have their noses out of joint with the Club then he should keep on walking.

He should be praising what Flanno and the board have achieved thus far in that we now have high quality players wanting to come to the Club, quality juniors emerging in abundance through great scouting, membership breaking records, a development that has delivered and will keep delivering.

When the Club was on their arse and struggling where were these fair weather former players??? They didn’t want to be associated with losers eh?

Well jog on because we don’t need to listen to your backward thinking that would have never delivered our First Premiership.
Lay off on the drink dude.

the biggest thing is the development

where is the money for the retail side?
what is the current deal in place?
will this be a long term income stream as first delivered? or have things changed? if so..how did this happen? change to the deal was never put to the members.

what is the clubs long and short term plan given the NRL stadium stategy?

This is the main thing that is in Mcgaws pitch.

Eion

First Grade
Agree the biggest issue is getting surety out of this retail area. No idea if sparkles is the man to do that, but there’s probably better selling points than being an ex player.

As if the board aren’t looking at all options in regards to the retail development.

Interesting time to take an interest in a board position.

M2D2

Bench
Don’t you need the help d!ckhead?
With the shit you posted here, the one needing the help would be you.
Going off half cocked because he said something about juniors rather than everyone else here talking about the fact they are keeping secrets about the rest of the development.
merkin.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
From my understanding the delay on the information is related to the approval on the final stage of the development. I'm happy they've committed 10mill to the centre of excellence which is a step in the right direction. You've gotta remember there's some pretty accomplished businessmen on the board already . Good luck to Sparkles but i don't know that an old boys club is necessarily the right direction to take....only have to look at the filthy goons and how it's panned out for them.

Generalzod

Immortal

He was busy playing hammer on channel 7 show Gladiator...

With the shit you posted here, the one needing the help would be you.
Going off half cocked because he said something about juniors rather than everyone else here talking about the fact they are keeping secrets about the rest of the development.
merkin.

Secrets?

Yeah maybe things have hit a snag.

Do you think the board are sitting on their hands? No. Of course they are trying to get the best result for the Club.

Why let the media and plebs like yourself feed on any negativity when they can keep it in house and sort shit out and hit the media with positive news.

And Mark McGaw is the last person you want on the board. He’s a loose cannon.

M2D2

Bench
Secrets?

Yeah maybe things have hit a snag.

Do you think the board are sitting on their hands? No. Of course they are trying to get the best result for the Club.

Why let the media and plebs like yourself feed on any negativity when they can keep it in house and sort shit out and hit the media with positive news.

And Mark McGaw is the last person you want on the board. He’s a loose cannon.
MV5BM2M4YTFmMDItZmExYi00NGNjLThjM2YtMThhZjEzYWY3ZjUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMDcwNw@@._V1_UY268_CR7,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Latest posts