What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Elections

franklin2323

Immortal
Given it is across a few threads. Best to keep it all together.

So I think most on here want board level changes. November is the chance.

The issue is you need someone to run. A fairly big name probably too. Surely someone on here knows an ex player or high profile person to run.

Need to be big because Mr Cheesecake has all the tea ladies on side

tripster

Juniors
Thanks for starting the thread. Let’s hope we can keep this going and get some real momentum for change.

I don’t think we want an ex-player. What we want is someone with business accumen, who has had experience in a large, professionally run corporate organisation, but who also has passion for the club.

Not necessarily easy to find.

Ideally we want more than one person - we want enough for a complete board. If only one “outsider” is elected they will be sidelined.

I don’t think they need to be high profile. The reality is that the current board was probably elected on the back of a relatively small number of votes because few people turn up to the AGM. I think we could use the power of social media to gather the necessary support.

All football club members do, however, need to actually attend the club on one occasion and register to become Leagues Club members. Even though football club members are automatically entitled to Leagues Club membership, they don’t become members until they go and sign up.

franklin2323

Immortal
I mean a player to get behind more so then to stand. 20k footy members are small fry compared to the 70k Leagues club members.

Many of those 70k will be persuaded by a smile and cheap cheese cake. So need someone to help bring those to the other side

roofromoz

First Grade
Do we vote for the chairman as well or just the board members?

Would it be the worst idea to have Brandy as the chairman? Media commitments may prevent it from happening though...

Do we vote for the chairman as well or just the board members?

Would it be the worst idea to have Brandy as the chairman? Media commitments may prevent it from happening though...

Brandy has been on the board through all of this, I have no confidence in any of them tbqh

tripster

Juniors
I mean a player to get behind more so then to stand. 20k footy members are small fry compared to the 70k Leagues club members.

Many of those 70k will be persuaded by a smile and cheap cheese cake. So need someone to help bring those to the other side

I think you will find that we would be lucky if even 500 people actually turn up and vote, or even to send in a proxy (I haven’t checked to see if proxy voting is permitted). The vast majority of members will not be bothered.

BxTom

Bench
1. You will need to identify people to go on the board.
2. You will need to ask them if they will accept nomination.
3. Go through the nomination process.
4. Keep people up to date here with progress.

Get as many members as possible to ensure that they are members with Penrith as their 'home club' so that they can vote for board elections. Members of other panther clubs cannot vote for the board. I.E. If you are a member of Bathurst Panthers, you cannot vote for the board (and I don't think that you can nominate either).

snickers007

Juniors
Getting guys in the media like Girds, MG, Sattler, Brohman etc to make a bit of noise and endorse our preferred candidates would go a long way IMO.

Honest question for those in the know, how did Paul Dunn go when he was tied up with the Rabbits? Was he CEO at the time they were re-admitted? He may not be a big name, but he was involved in our 91 premiership, and would hold some sentimental value for the die-hards.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Girds just called our senior administration an "absolute mess" on Triple M.

He said their approach to Cleary was "immoral".

He then went on to say they've overpaid the coach and halfback out of fear of losing Nathan. He said decisions made out of fear do not end up finishing well.

"The Board need to be held accountable"

tripster

Juniors
I think there are plenty of people on here who could be excellent candidates.

The analysis often shown many by posters on this forum is intelligent and insightful. No doubt in addition to having passion for the club plenty of posters have academic qualifications, experience in business and the benefit of having watched thousands of league games.

Bob

Juniors
If the shoe fits. I'm a huge fan but this is a clusterf**k warranting a change of board and chairmen.
If the shoe fits...a man who captained our club, brought us our 1st premiership, our greatest ever panther, represented our state and country is now incompetent, fmd, well let us know your name and credentials so we can all vote for you then

franklin2323

Immortal
I think there are plenty of people on here who could be excellent candidates.

The analysis often shown many by posters on this forum is intelligent and insightful. No doubt in addition to having passion for the club plenty of posters have academic qualifications, experience in business and the benefit of having watched thousands of league games.

Yeah I can think of a few too. Sadly someone with minor profile won't be enough to de throne Mr Abcoe

Abacus

Juniors
If the shoe fits...a man who captained our club, brought us our 1st premiership, our greatest ever panther, represented our state and country is now incompetent, fmd, well let us know your name and credentials so we can all vote for you then
Brandy is all these things. However being a good footy player does not make you a good board member or executive.

I have known Brandy at a professional level and love him and everything he's done for the club but in some ways he is used as a footy talisman by the board. Brandy was a guy that when footy finished he had no idea where to go. He doesn't have some of the business nous possessed by Girds who ran his own small business. My observation was that his time was limited in respect of his board responsibilities and when the subject matter is non-football he had little input.

I will say that in respect of Dave approaching his mate I believe Brandy had no idea. However, the board would still have had to ratify that decision - I don't know how individual members would have voted but I don't believe that the board would need to reach a unanimous position.

TheFrog

Coach
He doesn't have some of the business nous possessed by Girds who ran his own small business.
Actually Greg did too, Greg Alexander Trophies, but it didn't work out. He's far more careful in choosing his words than Girds, perhaps due to being on the board. I count this as a positive. Anyone can kick their former club when it's down which seems to be the Girds modus operandi.