What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOLT for EXPANSION

newyboy

Juniors
Can you imagine if this Usain Bolt thing is not a farce, what it will do for Soccer. The fastest human that has ever lived playing league.

Just imagine if League could lure him and the push it would give to the USA and other markets. He doesn't even need to be good. Just protect and him and let him run. You would pay him 5 million per year easy.

As i have said previously, the USA has so many athletes that are light years ahead of what we have just working at McDonalds and washing windows.

Pommy

Coach
What it seems to be doing for football is upsetting every Australian try hard fan.
It’s brilliant

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Can you imagine if this Usain Bolt thing is not a farce, what it will do for Soccer. The fastest human that has ever lived playing league.

Just imagine if League could lure him and the push it would give to the USA and other markets. He doesn't even need to be good. Just protect and him and let him run. You would pay him 5 million per year easy.

As i have said previously, the USA has so many athletes that are light years ahead of what we have just working at McDonalds and washing windows.

I have to say that I don't really agree that it would be great for the game (being NRL) as it is very gimmicky and is really only short term to put bums on seats. It's no different to when the GC Titans flew Jonah Lomu (god rest him) to the Gold Coast and were touting him to make the switch to Rugby League, or Jarryd Hayne making his return from the NFL.

Secondly, whilst Bolt is an easily recognised brand internationally, I really don't think the lure of him playing in a team sport is really that interesting to anyone outside of the A-League; especially as he is Jamaican, not American.

Third is the price, No NRL club is going to give him $1m, let alone $5m. There is a thing called the salary cap that gets in the way of that and he'd have to prove that he was better than Wally Lewis, Mal Meninga, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Johnathan Thurston, Dave Brown, Dally Messenger and Clive Churchill all rolled into one before he'd even get close to a six figure pay packet. It would take one hit from a JWH, Sam Burgess or James Graham to put a swift end to a Usain Bolt rugby league career.

A-League can have him and the price tag with it. I think we have far better talents within our own game that we don't need to be looking at bringing Big name celebrity athletes into the game.