What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boston Bid

deluded pom?

Coach
News from Boston:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...-chief-advising-Boston-rugby-league-club.html

Still rumours really, but interesting sentence in the end about Sky spending 5 billion for Premier League and are now out of cash.
I could never work Sky out when it came to buying the rights to the EPL. When they were the only company out there who had the money they would continually bump up what they paid for EPL rights totally out of proportion to what they could have paid. They would double what they had paid in the previous deal even though there wasn’t any serious competition for the rights. They have now painted themselves into a corner and have to pay ridiculous money for the privilege of covering the EPL. Money they no longer appear to have in abundance.

Golden point

Juniors

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
if North America actually becomes a realistic option for professional players, it is actually good for the game in the established nations too. Imagine the media coverage in Australia when NRL players (not necessarily the top teir stars) start packing their bags to take up SuperLeague contracts in the US or Canada. It expands the mind of the casual sports fan that think we are confined to NSW, QLD, Yorkshire & Lancashire.

RedVee

First Grade
Is this the Boston 13s? Or would it be another label for the higher level ?

Stallion

First Grade
if North America actually becomes a realistic option for professional players, it is actually good for the game in the established nations too. Imagine the media coverage in Australia when NRL players (not necessarily the top teir stars) start packing their bags to take up SuperLeague contracts in the US or Canada. It expands the mind of the casual sports fan that think we are confined to NSW, QLD, Yorkshire & Lancashire.

Agree. I was discussing the developments in North America with a few soccer fans at the soccer yesterday . Its a good thing for rugby league and people are becoming aware of it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agree. I was discussing the developments in North America with a few soccer fans at the soccer yesterday . Its a good thing for rugby league and people are becoming aware of it.

How do you think Moore will go selling tickets to the Denver stadium? They are a sports-promotions company and they seem to be pretty confident so they may surprise us.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
AT least it will be promoted because Moore has a vested interest in making it work. This is why the argument about this being organised by a promoter as a bad thing is wrong. Can't wait to see this, really hope it works out with a solid crowd, not looking forward to the media bagging it if it is a small crowd. It's a great idea though

StadiumXIII

Juniors
AT least it will be promoted because Moore has a vested interest in making it work. This is why the argument about this being organised by a promoter as a bad thing is wrong. Can't wait to see this, really hope it works out with a solid crowd, not looking forward to the media bagging it if it is a small crowd. It's a great idea though
How much would be considered a success? 10-15k, anything upwards would be a shock.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How much would be considered a success? 10-15k, anything upwards would be a shock.

I agree with you that anything more than 10 - 15k would be a shock but I guess we are used to the RFL, NRL or RLIF doing the promoting of our game. Maybe a promoter that is actually looking to make a good profit out of the event will go to greater lengths to fill the stadium.

I also think that they are possibly trading on a bit of ignorance in the market. The All Blacks have pulled some good crowds in the U.S. and it is possible that at least some of the locals will be attending to see them play - I'm sure the promoter won't be rushing to correct them. At the end of the day though, they should get a great game and the Haka which is what they are really there for.

Pommy

Coach
I am still shocked Sky doesn't cover all SL games and now only takes 3 NRL games....

What are those at the NRL and ESL thinking when they arrange these contracts???

That they want people to go the games in person?
Every game televised isn’t expected in England. It’s actually illegal to broadcast 3pm Saturday football games.

Stallion

First Grade
That they want people to go the games in person?
Every game televised isn’t expected in England. It’s actually illegal to broadcast 3pm Saturday football games.

Interesting! So this suggests that 3pm Saturday is the primetime attendance timeslot!?(in England) Very thought provoking and informative. Great insight! This does make sense as fans are more able to travel and base their weekend around this timeslot .

deluded pom?

Coach
Interesting! So this suggests that 3pm Saturday is the primetime attendance timeslot!?(in England) Very thought provoking and informative. Great insight! This does make sense as fans are more able to travel and base their weekend around this timeslot .
Prior to Sky every Saturday during the season, 3pm was game time in all divisions of the football league. The opening day of the season was always looked forward to but now it limps in on a Thursday night. SL is just the same. Money, money, money.

Stallion

First Grade
Prior to Sky every Saturday during the season, 3pm was game time in all divisions of the football league. The opening day of the season was always looked forward to but now it limps in on a Thursday night. SL is just the same. Money, money, money.

I muse at the "money, money , money" comment! I believe this "tormenting" tact toward the fans is ultimately a cost and disenfranchisement of many of these fans in the longterm. So not so business savvy in my books. Very short sighted as far as the relevance and cultural enjoyment of the competition is concerned.

Last edited:

Latest posts