What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Clyde vs Sam Burgess - then vs now

King hit

Coach
Clyde was probably the Raiders best in 91. They had to decide with 10 to go and I guess it was to late to change it after the comeback.

TheFrog

Coach
Clyde was probably the Raiders best in 91.
I think Meninga was the Raiders best easily. He stopped three or four tries in the second half. Canberra were flogged without him.

Clyde put on a try in the first half and defended well in the second but Mal was a colossus in a well beaten side (despite the scoreline).

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
How does one post video from a VHS tape on LU? You're just going to have to take my word for it. It was my team's first premiership win. I've watched it hundreds of times.
Of course I will.

Again, as I said to another panther supporter, I'm not sure how Clyde being awarded the 1991 CC medalist changes how good he was.

I think Meninga was the Raiders best easily. He stopped three or four tries in the second half. Canberra were flogged without him.

Clyde put on a try in the first half and defended well in the second but Mal was a colossus in a well beaten side (despite the scoreline).

I don't feel the Raiders were a well beaten side on the day. They were a courageous and gutsy side who came close to winning their 3rd title in a row. This is despite both play-makers carrying injuries which prevented them from putting in any decent field kicks during the 2nd half. Correct me if I'm wrong because you've watched this game hundreds of times and I've watched it once, (although I have a recorded copy of it on my Sky planner as it was televised a while back, and I've been intending to watch it) but didn't Belcher and Meninga take over general play kicking duties as the game went on? Stuart had a bad groin injury which he carried for most of that year, and was getting needled up before every game (including Origin - the only series he lost). I read a story saying Tim Sheens had agreed to get the same needle in the groin to give Ricky some support, but once he saw the needle he backed out and Sticky gave him a ton of sh*t for that. Daley's hamstring was also stuffed in the 91 GF. Neither of them were expected to play the full 80mins, but they tried. This explains Scott Gale taking that dropout. Once the halves couldn't kick us out of our end, we spent the majority of the 2nd half valiantly defending our line in the most courageous defensive effort in history. It took a fluke over head/shoulder pass from Geyer to crack the line. That pass was pure ass. If the Raiders halves go into that game 100%, we'd be talking about the only 3 peat in 30+ years.

I don't feel the Raiders were a well beaten side on the day. They were a courageous and gutsy side who came close to winning their 3rd title in a row. This is despite both play-makers carrying injuries which prevented them from putting in any decent field kicks during the 2nd half. Correct me if I'm wrong because you've watched this game hundreds of times and I've watched it once, (although I have a recorded copy of it on my Sky planner as it was televised a while back, and I've been intending to watch it) but didn't Belcher and Meninga take over general play kicking duties as the game went on? Stuart had a bad groin injury which he carried for most of that year, and was getting needled up before every game (including Origin - the only series he lost). I read a story saying Tim Sheens had agreed to get the same needle in the groin to give Ricky some support, but once he saw the needle he backed out and Sticky gave him a ton of sh*t for that. Daley's hamstring was also stuffed in the 91 GF. Neither of them were expected to play the full 80mins, but they tried. This explains Scott Gale taking that dropout. Once the halves couldn't kick us out of our end, we spent the majority of the 2nd half valiantly defending our line in the most courageous defensive effort in history. It took a fluke over head/shoulder pass from Geyer to crack the line. That pass was pure ass. If the Raiders halves go into that game 100%, we'd be talking about the only 3 peat in 30+ years.

From memory, Stuart had the groin injury, Clyde was carrying a knee injury, and Lazarus a sternum injury and I think Daley was carrying an ankle injury. What compounded Stuart's injury was a tackle in the match from Colin Vandervoort which left him with a sore hip for a good portion of the game.